BC Boards

question concerning my new foster dog

My new foster dog, whom I have named Farley, is a great big strong galumphing male BC, about 2 years old, with a bit of a hard-headed and pushy streak in him. Not at all sensitive like Jes, but smart and a quick learner. In three days I taught him sit, wait, sit up, off, and down, or at least he does them all reliably right away when there's a treat involved!

My question: when we are out walking and he sees another dog (there are a Lot of loose dogs around here, so this happens every day), he strains at the leash and makes little whimpers, wanting to go greet. When he greets the other dogs, his whole body language is relaxed and friendly: ears up, body relaxed, tail up and waving gently. But invariably he will then let out a loud growl. His body language doesn't change, and he doesn't snarl up his lips. So far the other dogs always just go away then, none have reacted with aggression. I keep watching him closely, but his body language never says aggression; yet the growl does *not* sound to me like a play growl. He does the same to small dogs, puppies, large dogs. There has, however, been absolutely not a shred of aggression between him and my dog Jester. Am I misinterpreting, and it really is a play growl? Or is he being defensive? Or is he setting boundaries? I have not been able to figure this out yet, having only had the dog for 5 days. I want to respond correctly, and do not want to misinterpret. What do you think?

I think that his body language and interaction with other dogs will have to be your clue and I would continue to watch.

However, our neighbor's Dalmation lets loose with some awful growls whenever she encounters other dogs -- but, she is never aggressive and really only wants to play. Her owner tells me that it freaks out most other dog owners, but to her knowledge Juliette has never attacked another dog and likes to play.

You know my last dog that that I had for 11 yrs(Reilly) did that too.

She would act all happy then growl and woof and then run up to the other dogs and play!!

Never understood it but the other dogs must have as she never attacked them and they were fine with it...weird.

Greeting other dogs on leash tends to be the problem - - they are torn between ohhhhhhh another dog "Let's Play!!" and the fact they are leashed to their owner and have to do a bit of the defensive routine - tends to be conflicting for them - - Tess does the same thing after the initial meet and greet and she has always been a super friendly dog - - I think she is Pres. of the Social Butterfly Committee - - best thing to do if they need to stay on leash is make it quick and short - - hi and bye!!! Try to do this when they are still in the wagging tail stage - -

Maggie and Tess

Thanks for the replies. I will still watch him closely (would, anyway, still wanting to get to know about him) but I am pretty convinced it is not aggressive, because no other dogs respond as if it were. Last night Jes sort of smashed into Farley in the jouse, trying to get to the toy I had thrown and Farley was in the way. They "had words" (like: "Hey!!watch it!" "To hell with you!!" ) but it was all over in three seconds, no bites. So I think Farley is actually easy going.