BC Boards

My girl has a back problem

Gary M

Thanks for the update, Gary - and be sure the flow of good wishes from the land of Oz will keep coming. It does sound as though it might have been some sort of trauma, the effects of which are subsiding.

Does she like water? There's a doggy PT place in Melbourne which has an underwater treadmill, where the dog can walk on the treadmill with some or most of all the weight supported in water, while the physical therapist can monitor the action through the perspex sides. Looks like an amazing machine.

Best wishes for a good report on Tuesday, and continued progress. And hey, 5 seconds to 30 seconds - that would be something like a 600% improvement, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One step forward, two steps back.

Baby woke us up about 5:30 this morning coughing and was gurgling while she was breathing.

Another trip back to the clinic. Luckily the Neurology clinc that did her MRI also has a 24/7 emergency department.

After another X-ray and blood tests turns out she now has pneumonia, is somewhat dehydrated, is partially paralyzed around her mouth and shows signs of an enlarged esophagus. The vet at MSU had specifically stated that her esophagus looked ok in the X-rays taken Tuesday and that her lungs were clear.

Additionally she is not blinking her eyes enough and has an ulcerated cornea on her right eye.

We left her at the clinic so they can hook up fluids and do IV antibiotics for the pneumonia.

The other neurologist at the practice was in after we left to look in on another patient and read the report on the spinal. That came back negative as well. Good news there anyway.

This neurologist wants to send out a sample for a more definitive analysis to rule out MG.

So based on what we know right now, I feel good that the MRI and spinal were negative and that she was able to stand lst night and even a little this morning.

I feel bad about the pneumonia and other stuff that has cropped us since Thursday and I am confused over the MG diagnosis.

We last spoke to the clinic about 30 minutes ago and her temp is down from 104.4 to 102.2 and O2 levels are normal and holding.

Barb, the clinic we are using has complete rehabilitative facilities including and underwater treadmill. We live about 20 miles south of Flint and the clinic is about 45 minutes away.

Jeez

How long was she out for the MRI? Being intubated can bring on aspiration pneumonia. The diminished blinking and paralyzation around her mouth is odd. Am really praying for a good recovery. Sounds like being at the vet's is the best place for her now. Poor honey- we are all here for you.

Actually, as much as I don't want it to be true the diminished blinking and facial paralysis might be consistent with the stroke theory.

Hang in there. Don't forget to eat and breath and take care of yourself. She's in good hands and you are doing everything you can.

Between the MRI and the spinal she was out for about 2 hours.

The blinking and facial problems are still consistant with MG or a stroke.

We are in a catch-22 right now because with the pneumonia, they can't give corticosteroids and if it is MG, they can't work on rebuilding her strength to have her standing to help with the pneumonia without the steriods.

My wife talked to the vet about an hour ago and he puts her current status as guarded.

We are trying to stay optimistic but it is getting harder and we have to be realistic enough to face the fact that we may lose her.

We just feel so utterly helpless right now.

Everybody involved with her care is doing everything possible but they are as frustrated as we are.

All of you have been a great help and even though I have been a &%^#head on these boards more than once, I so sincerely appreciate everyone's support and responses.

So many people I have talked to outside the boards just do not seem to get it.

How with 8 dogs, 1 can be so important to my life to make me the walking wreck I am right now.

But like they say, she's not a dog, she's a Border Collie.

And she is our Border Collie.

Gary, I'm so sorry. How lucky your girl was to have had you throughout all of this and I have no doubt that even in her scariest moments, she knew you were there for her, a source of comfort. I was rooting for her all along.

Take time and mend your broken heart as much as you can, and know that you are a truly wonderful person to have loved her so much and done so much for her.

I know of a lot of good dogs who met her at the Bridge when she crossed - Lena, Pete, Dolly, Tattie, Maj & Murphy - they're all there and they all took a piece of my heart with them. And your Baby Girl has a piece of yours.

Hang in there.

Gary - I am so sorry to hear you have lost her - sending you and your family my condolences. She was a beautiful dog and obviously meant so much to you. You know you did everything you could for her - please take comfort in that. You must be exhausted - try to take time to rest and regroup after this shock. I am thinking of you all.

Gary I am so sorry for your loss. I just thought I would check in with her progress, and thought at your first post on this page that maybe they could come up with something. I am so sorry they couldn't. Yeah, she will be in good company now. Take time to heal, and if you need people who WILL understand your feelings, you know where to come. Cyber hugs to you and yours.

My computer wasn't letting me post- I hope this doesn't show up five times- I am so sorry. I wish I had something more comforting than that to say but I really am. You did so much to save her though, she was so lucky to have her. And having lost a few dogs I adored myself, I know you were lucky to have her, too. I'm really sorry for your loss.