BC Boards

the weekend

blackacre

First, before they get put away, some of the new Border Cheviot lambs. For BlackWatch Debatable, who has excellent taste in sheep.

Cheviot.jpg

Everyone's eager to start. Get on with it, already!

waiting.jpg

OK, this is looking good. Someone's bringing out sheep. Finally!

waitingforsheep.jpg

Libby's down from Peterborough to show off and have her picture taken for Sam.

libby.jpg

Buff shows us how to line them up for the cross drive panel. He wants Sam to know that he loooooooves Canada.

buffcrossdrive.jpg

What now boss? (He loves the Boss too, can you tell?)

Buff.jpg

Nap's up next. Unfortunately, I haven't mastered running and taking pictures at the same time, so here he is waiting to be sent.

Nap.jpg

Jeez, get on with it!

jeez.jpg

And, naturally, I'd be insane to try to take a picture of Glen working, so here's Glen looking seriously annoyed at sitting this one out.

Glen.jpg

He sure would like to get out there!

sureliketo.jpg

Hi Sam from Australia! Where have you been, girl?

Oh, here and there :rolleyes:

STILL crutching, the guys keep getting injured (delicate little flowers :D), still have 2000 to do I think and supposed to be competing at the Royal Show this weekend... Plus sick baby and moving house and all that real-life stuff that gets in the way of training dogs. And rotten weather- from the look of those shots I want to be where you are!!

Bette's ear is just adorable. How do you have those chains attached to the car wheel??

Hiho A. and all my other friends,

I finally figured all by my self how to get on the boards with a new password since I forgot my old one. I am aohell and its not as easy.

Spottie Glenn still looks more like Jess than Nap.....but Nap and her both do have perfect little pointy ears which is better than perfect little pointy heads.

Asta LaVista for now since I have no words of wisdom to offer at this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is the darn send sign for this informative post? Shall we try upload?

Hi Sam! I make the chains myself, they have brass clips on the end. They're just threaded through.

It's been dry and hot here for months. We got a first cut off the field in early June and nothing since: the field hasn't been cut since then and that's how it looks. Usually we get two or sometimes three cuts.

What's it doing Down Under? Hot? What are you doing at the Royal? Love to Baby J, hope he's feeling better.

T-Bar: I recommend you get to where you can use Preview Post. :rolleyes:

A

Jaime,

Well, I'm no sheep expert, believe me (we joke that Sheep Producers R Us--As IF) but for my purposes I find that they are wonderful dog sheep for most types of training, light, agile, fast, clever. Being a hill breed with their eyes set far to the side of their heads, they have excellent peripheral vision and react like little quarter horses. They're hardy, good mothers and easy keepers, at least in a climate like we have here in Canada. I don't think I've ever lost one to a gruesome sheep disease. They don't dog down the way a lowland breed like a Dorset would. They cross well with a variety of terminal sires. I've used Border Liecester, Blue-Faced Leicester and North Country Chevios for this purpose. This year we're going to use a Scottie ram (a friend had this cross this year and I really liked them.) My shearer hates (but admires) the little buggers, even as they're pinging off his forehead or dragging him across the barn--they are incredibly strong for their size.

For starting young dogs I keep St. Croix, the drudges of the sheep world. For cranky, evil sheep that suss out the dog, I have a Corriedale named Pumpkin Head, who manages to evade culling every year, even though I hate her, and her two sidekicks who are Shetland crosses.

What do you have?

A

Hi,

Thanks for the info, they just have such an interesting look to them. Do they make a hair sheep version ? (just kidding!)

I just have some Kathadin and Dorper Crosses, they are good to work. I have a few ewes with a little barb in them to keep dogs on their toes. One day when I live somewhere green, I think I will have to get some Border Chevoits though. I have a couple of St. Croix (mostly) yearlings, they have been nice- they started out docile but they got smart to the weaker dogs and started turning on them just enough to make things interesting. I have an older Kathadin ewe too that will become aggressive if the dog pushes her too hard- she's a handy ewe to have, plus has twins or triplets easily every time.

Yeah, that's what I have- and I have to say, I prefer the Kathadin aspect of them :D Some of them don't completely shed, and rasta sheep, I would like to avoid. St. Croix's are fun to work. Dorsets are nice, but not all that I have met have dogged down that well. Scotties are great, if you have great fences :rolleyes:

Hi,

Thanks for the info, they just have such an interesting look to them. Do they make a hair sheep version ? (just kidding!)

I just have some Kathadin and Dorper Crosses, they are good to work. I have a few ewes with a little barb in them to keep dogs on their toes. One day when I live somewhere green, I think I will have to get some Border Chevoits though. I have a couple of St. Croix (mostly) yearlings, they have been nice- they started out docile but they got smart to the weaker dogs and started turning on them just enough to make things interesting. I have an older Kathadin ewe too that will become aggressive if the dog pushes her too hard- she's a handy ewe to have, plus has twins or triplets easily every time.

All my darned dogs are in Canada, Libby and Buff look great...I miss them both! :rolleyes: Libby looks pretty darned Furry, must be all the good Canada air....

Miss you girl, still on for our Spring fling, will give you a call...gonna go look at another horse on Friday if you can believe it..got my lamb money to play with! :D Got GOOD money for the ones I sent this year, yipee!

Hey Terry, how have you been???? Long time no hear!

Girl!

How much did you get? Per pound of course. You hauled them further away this time, right?

And you're buying another horse?!?!? Jeez.

I hope you saved me some lambs to play with in the spring. Glen is keen to have a go and Nap! Well, you know Nap . . . he's keen too, if not exceptionally er . . . skilled. Never mind, we love him anyway.

Oh, and BTW nice work breeding the Nursery Reserve Champion. Next time keep the "Star" of the litter, though, OK?

A

I didnt breed her but Tucker sure did! :rolleyes: Poor Tak, was back at the vet today, great progress report..I called them frantic last night because he went back to three legs when the splint came off yesterday, well the bugger wasnt even limping when I took him in today, I was tempted to kick him in the leg so I wouldnt look like an idiot. Anyway, Tak is just pacing himself...He wants to stop being a broken "box" and become a "star.".. :D

I just got the sales slip, I got 1.45 a lbs...65-70 lb lambs. Got a fair deal on shipping too. I still have about 50 lambs left and 130 ewes so no worries, Nap and Spot Glenn will have plenty of fun!

Off to Berryville tomorrow to look at another horse, when you come we can trail ride, there is a state park about 5 miles from my house...if you come it time, we could go foxhunting! :D

Oh Melainie, that is my beautiful girl!!!! Baby tuck!

Heya Debbie,

Yeah think that is Edgeworth weekend possibly?? I did go and ride that horse, made my mouth water...he was awsome, nice that they finally told me he had had colic surgery two years before, I RAN out of the barn and have been crying ever since.. :rolleyes: No bargains in horses, wondered why a horse with his experience was so cheap.

Don't discount him on that. Talk to the folks who did the surgery, I know of a few who had one surgery and never a problem since. If he's sound and sane, and he sounds inexpensive, I'd go back for a second look. Really.

It's tough juggling the horses and the dogs. I love them both =.

We still want to come ride at your place one day!

Well I will let the lady I take lessons with see the video tomorrow...see what she says about him..

I would love for you to come and ride!!! I just put in a new ring, the footing is coming tomorrow and I will get some jumps picked up this week...I also want to set up some cross country jumps around the outside edge of the field. Anyway, just let me know, it would be fun!