BC Boards

Walking on concrete - how much?

INU

We don't do a lot of walking on concrete and very little running to prevent joint problems. I got me a walkydog (for walking dog on a bike) and started using it with my dogs past week. I only go slow so that they wouldn't have to run. I do this when I can't take them anywhere so they get some extra exercise besides fetching and stuff. Each dog gets 5-10 minutes a day but I was hoping to do it longer.

My question is if walking on concrete for long period time can be bad for adult dogs. Again, no running. I take them for running (while I am on bike) on dirt road and they'd run for miles for endurance training. I understand you shouldn't be doing concrete walking with pups but would it be okay with adult dogs?

I'm taking Jazzy to the vet in 2 weeks and I was going to ask him that too. But this is the vet that didn't think x-ray was necessary and didn't even exam him when I took Cooper for his limping. So again, second opinion is always appreciated.

Hey INU

Don't know about Cooper, but I don't think it would hurt Jazz too much - assuming she'll be gaiting (say about 6 - 7 mph) rather than running flat out. I sometimes take mine for a bike ride on one of the trails we used when we were training for our Endurance Test last year - mixture of concrete and bitumen with a bit of grass they can get onto at times. We would ride about 6km - say about 4 miles at a time - and when they were in full training, maybe about 8 miles. Just make sure you work up to it gradually to harden up the pads - and of course, make sure you're not on hot pavement - use the barefoot test to be sure :rolleyes: Oh, and keep the hydration up.

I took mine with that bike thing, aren't they great? Gave them great exercise and kept their nails short. I hardly had to peddle at all. Didn't help me much. I can't balance on a bike anymore, so I can't use it for Usher, but it never hurt my old dogs. They loved it.