BC Boards

How did your BC get his/her name?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spanky is named after the Little Rascals. He's always up to some sort of trouble and is your average young lad just looking for a way to have a bit of fun.

Bandit came with his name though I think his previous owners named him that because he has a bandana of white around his neck.

Don't they sound like a pair of trouble makers? Gives most people a good chuckle.

My Fox is a red merle. I wanted to call him Piper but my boyf said that there was no way I could call a pup that (why not? :D ). On the way home from choosing him from the litter we were trying to find a name and shouting out various words as they sprang to mind; we saw a dead fox by the side of the road. So our red collie became Fox.

Also known as "Road Kill" when he's really naughty :rolleyes:

Jenny

Quynn got his name from the Gaelic word "quinn", meaning "intelligent". It suited him. I simply replaced the "i" with a "y" as I have a strange attraction to the letter y. :rolleyes: I'd always liked the name, and it won the battle between "Quynn" and "Zephyr".

Okay, I'll play. You didn't ask about the non-BCs, but I'll include them anyway, cats first...

Seven - (orange tabby) seventh-born of his litter, and he has seven (fully functional) toes on each front foot.

Sojo - (Siamese) short for Sojourner, which she got because she was a stray that ended up having a little sojourn at my place, which turned into a lifetime gig. Poor thing. :D

Kenzie - short for MacKenzie, which means child of the warlord. I figured she'd have to be tough to make it in my household (what with all the BCs and stuff), so I gave her a title which a) came from whence her ancestors did (she being a Westie), and b ) might give her something upon which to model herself. :D

Ali - short for Ali Babba, and came to me as a rescue with that name (given him by the granddaughter of his original owners and accidental breeders, the name possibly as a result of a Disney movie). I toyed with changing it, but I kept calling him Ali Ali Wallaby Boy (because of the bounces) and that suited him. Plus he's a lurcher - a sighthound mix - and the word "lurcher" evidently comes from a Rom word meaning "thief" (as lurchers were originally bred as poaching dogs.) Ali Babba the original being a thief, I figured that was a nice bit of irony, so I kept it.

Finn - short for Finn Dubh, "white and black" in Gaelic. Which he is. When I first met his litter, I didn't know which pup I would pick (I had first pick, since the breeder liked me :D ). One day, shortly after meeting the pups (which at the time looked like B&W and/or merle Guinea pigs, and were too little to show their adult coat markings) I was meditating and minding my own biz. Kind of abruptly and out of nowhere this black and white BC came running through the meditation from left to right. It had distinct, clear B&W markings (which, BTW, did not yet match up to any of the pups). I didn't make up my mind which pup to take until after the temperament test (and I made my choice - or so I THOUGHT, anyway! :rolleyes: - based on the results of the temperament test), but as it turns out, Finn's adult markings matched (exactly) the black and white patterns of the BC in the meditation. I sort of took that look at his markings as his first message to me saying "Hey! It's ME! I'M the one! Here's how you'll know me!" so I named him for them.

Raven - one day, after Raven's litter was born, I was driving to work after lunch, minding my own buisness, and this little voice said to me, "You should name the puppy Raven." I'm thinking: A) WHAT puppy? I'M not getting a puppy. ... and B ) even if I HAD been planning on getting a pup, the only puppy from that litter that was not already spoken for at the time was the He Who Would Be Pip, and as a mainly white pup, Raven really didn't seem like a good name for him. But through a series of strange coincidences and weird events, Raven ended up coming to me... so I took the advice I was given before I knew she would be condemned to coming to join my little pack. :D

Buddy and Pepper were both named by the BF (Pepper is really his dog, though he had the good sense to give me Buddy).

Since Doc started this, here is my list of non BCs.

Jasper - The upstairs cat. I don't know how he got named and I don't care because I am not a cat person anymore. I told my wife not to keep him. He was run over by a car but one of the doctors where my wife works saved him. He still suffers from seizures. He usually sleeps between my legs.

DJ - The downstairs cat. Affectionately known also as Puke Face. She gets that name from the large quantities of hair balls she coughs up. She is not allowed upstairs. Ruger attacks Puke anytime she wonders upstairs or if she comes near me. She also tries to eat Ruger's and Casey's food. She gets attacked for that. Ruger and I pretty much agree that cats are useless in a dog family. I wish my wife had thought the same as we did before she brought them home.

Casey - The Springer Spaniel. I don't know how she got the name but she is a great dog. Her only shortcoming is that she allows Puke to eat her food, to come upstairs and come near me. She is way more tolerant of cats than Ruger and I.

Then there's lizard, lizard, lizard, lizard, lizard, gecko, gecko, gecko, gecko, turtle and frog. Skink just died after about three years in captivity. If you can't figure out how they got their names I will type real slow.

Cheyenne-I got her at 10dys old. She was just 'baby' for a few weeks as I had no intention of keeping her. My beloved GSD/Collie, Bandit had died suddenly at 7yrs. old and I was not ready for another dog. Then I read in the paper about a 2yr. little girl that was lost while her family was camping. She was missing for 3 days, and was found, hungry, thirsty and dirty, but ok. I thought, yeah, you're a little fighter too, so, she became Cheyenne.

Jackson was suppose to be Jake. But by the time I got him, it seemed like everyone and their brother was naming their dog Jake. He was born in Jackson Springs, so he became Jackson.

Skip-I had no idea what I was gonna name him as I had said my next BC would be a girl. When we went to pick him out, I picked him up and "hey, Skipper!" just popped out of my mouth! So, he became Skip.

Toby-His name was Bently when I got him, and well, unless he was gonna answer the door, make me coffee, and serve me breakfast in bed, it had to be changed. On the way home from picking him up, my granddaughter said, I like Toby! So, he became Toby. RIP lil guy.

Lucy came with the name and it suited her. When I come home and all the dogs come out to great me, I always have to say, "Luuuucy, I'm home!"

Missy-She came with the name Little Bear. Had to go! I kept saying 'hey little missy", so, she became Missy

Bandit was named cuz he had kind of a black mask and when we rescued him at 4mos. he became good at swiping food from my son! RIP Bandit

Quest was named for one of the early great agility BCs; Skye (Red Skye at Night) was a red tri and named for his red color (also my last BC with a long name); Myke was named for my grandma's farm dogs-they were all named Pat or Mike; Blaze was named for his red coat, his blaze, and hopefully for his speed on the agility course; Kye was a different spelling for the scottish word Kai for crow (black coat); Zip, Bryte and Brandy, just because we liked the names! Zip's father was actually named Rover (the one and only dog I ever actually knew with that name)!

Barb S

My old BC who I put down 9 years ago at the age of 18 was Luke.... When I was looking at puppy pictures for the fun of it I saw a pup and even though I wasin't looking for a dog I just had to have him because he simply was "Luke" It took some begging to my DH but I got him and LOVE him to death!!!

And now there's Bree (sucker for punishment reason for getting her I think) lol.... I called her Bree because she thinks she is the toughest thing around and in Irish it means Force and strength!

Tara

Well, our BC was picked out on Petfinder.com by my daughter. She was terribly cute, and advertised as an Aussie, so we had to have an Australian or Scottish/Irish name for her. When my daughter and her sorority sisters went to pick up this dog, the name we chose, Aine, was deemed unacceptable by one of the sisters. She took one look at this obviously BC dog, and said, I'm gonna call you Mabel. End of discussion. She's Mabel Babel or Mabely Babely for when she's exceptionally cute (and being a BC that seems to be most of the time).

Arwen (husky-shepherd) was chosen (all you LOTR geeks out there) for...Arwen the elf. Actually, her name was on a list of names our daughter (yep, same one) took with her to a band concert the night she came home. She took a survey of all her friends that night, and Arwen was the clear winner.

Midnight (chow-australian kelpie) RIP, was pitch black when we first met her at the County Kennel. It fit till she got older and greyer..

Raelin (cat)- Raelin means little black one, and that is exactly what she is, almost 3 years later. She's still only about 7 lbs!

All our animals are rescue (including son and daughter-in-law's dog and cat who live in Arizona). Only way to go!

Solo was the first name that came to me when I saw this big, red, distraught dog. I didn't even like it that much, but animals name themselves. The name he came with was Rip; the one on his papers is "Franklin." Ugh. (My apologies to people with dogs named Franklin.) I don't know what other names he had in the middle. Anyway, he answered to it and it suits him. I try to come up with biology/evolution/paleontology names if possible, and the Solo River in Indonesia is where the first fossils assigned to Homo erectus were discovered.

Fly came with her name. I toyed with changing it just because it's such a common name, but it's a cool name and it fits her so it stayed. It also lends itself well to nicknames: Superfly, Flygirl, Firefly (I actually entered her in our first sheepdog trial under the name "Firefly"), The Fly.

Skeeter my ex-Papillon came with the name "Mr. Poppy." I found this name embarrassing, and also not nearly bad-ass enough for a little dog who was clearly gunning for the Angriest Dog in the World prize. Skeeter stuck and suited him; his "registered name" was Ashfall Anopheles, as Anopheles is the genus of the malaria mosquito. His new owners have kept the name. Other names I was considering for His Skeetness were Postal (formal name would have been Ashfall Le Train Bleu), and Yo (formal name would have been Ashfall Johann Bruyneel). The person who almost named a dog "Big Mig," and Mark B, will understand those.

My first dog, a Pomeranian, was named Harley after the motorcycle because I was (and to a large extent, still am) a huge metalhead. She was the greatest dog ever.

My late cat was named Motoo Kimura, after the originator of the neutral theory of molecular evolution.

Well,

If we are going for all our "old dog's" names- here goes.......

Miss Lacey- used to untie all of my kids shoe laces. My ex said why "Miss" Lacey- I said "She isn't married"

Mick- came with his name

China- she had a blue eye aka a china or wall eye.

Migraine- after that many dogs- I kept thinking ....what am I going to name you? You're giving me a Migraine! Best named dog in history.

Faith- After Migraine I was told to be careful what you name your dog- LOL.

Tulsa- Just loved the name- I don't like people names for dogs.

Then Usher- you know the story, he "Usher's me around"

Had a cow named "Manny" she was going to manufacture other Angus' - another named T-Bone, he was a pet, I usually named all my sheep and my goats- my fav goat was my pygmy stud- dances with hooves.

Oh and my little 40 acre farm was called " KISS MY ANGUS"

Yes, I have a sense of humor.

While some of my friends just assumed I named her after someone notorious as in Belle Whatlin from "Gone with the Wind" or Belle Starr the outlaw gal, the name just popped into my head. My deceased BC/Australian Shepard Ruth's prior owner named her after the Ruth in the Bible.