BC Boards

Advice on Picking a Breeder

jdarling

Does this advice apply to someone with no prior BC experience? Or should a person with no past BC experience even be looking at a working pup (rather than an adult rescue, for instance)?

I'm not in the market for a puppy (and won't be for at least 2 more years) - but I was just wondering, future reference you know.

ETA: sorry to divert the thread with a commonly asked question.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geoffrey, for a pet, I'd be looking first to border collie rescue, for either a puppy or an adult depending on your preference and circumstances. If I was unsuccessful getting a dog through rescue, I'd be looking to a good working border collie breeder, following Melanie's good advice and getting advice from knowledgeable people about who is or is not a good breeder if I didn't already know. If I was not successful with either of these approaches, after an appropiate amount of patience and diligence, I'd go to my local shelter, and pick the dog I liked the most, regardless of breed. I would much rather get a nice mix from the shelter than a border collie from a bad breeder.

Geoffrey, I'll save you Drift! Poor guy, he will probably still be here in two years. At least he's growing some hair back . . .

I agree that newcomers to the breed should look to rescue first - or really anyone but those who have really, really specific needs like a particular type of working style for stock they already have to plan to raise. I have three dogs here who would be fine for light working or trialing, even! Not to mention sport competition.

Now Geoffrey, you'll be familiar with the local scene enough in a couple years that you'll have your choice of rescue dogs or dogs getting ready to retire from working, or even a pup if you dare. That's kind of what happened to us - we were really nosing around looking for collies and got dragged into Border Collies kicking and screaming. OK, not so much with the screaming, but once we'd discovered the world of Dog People, there was no turning back. You of course are already there, and things will only get worse the more you associate with us crazy Border Collie people in the area. Mwah, ha, ha, ha . . .

Geoffrey the thing a truly new person should be looking for is an *uncomplicated* BC (no known major emotional, behavioral, or physical issues) - be it puppy, adult, rescue, or breeder purchase. And since you can't really "test" for that as a newbie, you need great support back up to look at your situation, and then once a suitable dog/pup has been found, to keep you on the right track.

A good rescue org, a good breeder....doesn't matter. Look for somebody you like that has a long term understanding of the breed, good references, and common sense. Then listen to them closely.

Dogs can develop issues (especially puppies) after you get them home, but if selected well, these are usually minimal and in the range a novice can handle. If they aren't....there you go with that great support system again.

Go slow, be honest about what you want, and then never be afraid to seek out qualified advice and act upon it.

I think my eventual plan will probably involve me fostering for a BC rescue and eventually adopting a young adult dog. Puppies are cute - but you can't DO things with them yet. I remember I used to annoy Zeke when he was a puppy because I would want to take him out to play fetch or something and he'd get tired and go to sleep. He wasn't as cute, but he was a LOT more fun when as at least a 5-6mos old.

Sorry to hijack, but I have another question :rolleyes:

Is the BC energy level or their mental "energy" level the problem for most owners? (my last hijacking question, I promise!)

Both.

The thing about Border Collies that most people are not prepared for is that they tend to enjoy activities that are relatively complex, quite structured (that means the human has to be actively involved), and that they can enjoy them with great physical vigor for very long periods of time.

Solo lost several homes before coming to mine. Despite the fact that he has behavioral issues beyond the scope of what most people would want to deal with, the reasons he lost those homes were all relatively mundane: he chased the horses, he chased the kids, he barked all day while being tied to the tree in the backyard, etc. Standard Border Collie reasons.

Fly is temperamentally rock solid, but I doubt she'd last long in a pet home just because her energy level is so high and she is so intense. Fly is excited -- all the time -- about everything. She would drive most people crazy, although she is ridiculously obedient and very easy to live with, just because of who she is.

I know plenty of excellent, dog-obsessed people in other breeds who structure their lives around their dogs and have told me they would never want to live with a Border Collie.

Is the BC energy level or their mental "energy" level the problem for most owners? (my last hijacking question, I promise!)

I think it depends a lot on the dog/owner combination.

In theory, it simply should not have worked out for Speedy in our home. We were pretty much inexperienced dog owners - we had Sammie for one year and we had adopted him when he was a year old - and we had no knowlege of Border Collies at all. But somehow, it was a perfect match and, with a lot of learning and work on my part, we have made it through a lot that, in theory, I as a new Border Collie owner should not have had the ability to deal with. It was a good match.

Dean was given up for being "too much dog". He's a completely different dog in my house. It's a perfect match.

Sometimes there is nothing wrong at all with the dog - he or she is simply too much for a particular person. And sometimes there is something "wrong" with the dog, but the "right" person has come along and can help the dog.

Border Collie experience is a huge help for me with Dean, but someone with Border Collie experience who wasn't equipped to handle a fearful dog might have had big problems with Speedy.

I know plenty of excellent, dog-obsessed people in other breeds who structure their lives around their dogs and have told me they would never want to live with a Border Collie.

I hear that a lot, too. It's funny because I would never want to live with a dog of almost any other breed. Although I like Border Collie/Labby type mixes - obviously! But only in a mixed pack with a couple of Border Collies to keep things lively!

I always think of that when a new poster comes on the board and says, "is a Border Collie for me?" There are plenty of folks out there who would be perfect Border Collie pet/sport homes but don't know it yet (as I didn't). But there are others who think that's what they want, but will turn out not to be after all. That's why I think fostering is such a great idea if one can manage it.

I would never want to live with a Boston Terrier. I don't care what people say, those dogs are INSANE.

RDM

It's funny because I would never want to live with a dog of almost any other breed. Although I like Border Collie/Labby type mixes - obviously! But only in a mixed pack with a couple of Border Collies to keep things lively!

Retrievers are my other favorite (you might notice that from my signature). Field line retrievers (what I prefer) aren't just your average retriever though - I suppose it's sort of like the difference between something like a show Rough Collie and a working BC.

I would never want to live with a Boston Terrier. I don't care what people say, those dogs are INSANE.

RDM

:rolleyes: I have to agree. I feel the same way about Dalmatians, though, too. No offense to Boston or Dal owners. :D I'm a Shetland Sheepdog and BC person, though. I would rather not live with any other breed. :D

I just wanted to thank you all for this thread. RDM, I would like to personally thank you for all of your hard work in rescue (not to mention posting so many wonderful pics in other threads! :D ). I was involved in rescue for 10+ years. The thing I hated the most was something that RDM pointed out before. I got to the point where I hated dealing with what I liked to call "stupid people". ARGHHHH! I can't tell you how many times I heard every excuse in the book for not keeping their dog. Or on the flip side, I would hear too many people wanting the "perfect" pet....one that never got sick, never got injured, never chewed up anything, never had an accident in the house, yadda yadda yadda. :D Those are the people that needed a stuffed animal toy for a pet.

I do not live on a farm (even though I pray that we can buy one within the next few years), and I have 4 "herding" dogs. I say herding in the context of breed, not actual working dogs, as on sheep. I can honestly say that I have always loved the BC, but refused to allow myself to bring one home until I had the time to dedicate. It's so sad what kind of breeders are out there. Look at Nykie, for example. I don't know what breeder she came from. All I know is that a girl was going to yard sales in Hickory, NC. She saw two adult BCs and then their litter of puppies. She fell in love with Nykie and instantly bought her...right there on the spot. A few weeks later, she realized she couldn't keep her and we took her. Now you tell me what kind of breeder that one was. Obviously, not a responsible one, because no good breeder is going to do that. This breeder knew nothing about this girl and they sold a puppy to her. It's just really sad. Nykie is a wonderful girl, but she didn't come from a good breeder.

Once again, thank you all for this terrific thread. I really hope that it helps people that are looking for a BC, but just remember that even if it just gets through to only one person, then it was worth it. :D

In theory, it simply should not have worked out for Speedy in our home. We were pretty much inexperienced dog owners -

...you never know, do ya. We have Daisy basically because we didn't say NO! This after many, many years of multiple cats only. By all rights, it should neve work at all, since Daisy is not "uncomplicated." After 2.5 years, I can't imagine going back to life B.D. (Before Daisy), I think she has a good life, and I think we'll always have a border collie. The part of the relationship that shouldn't be underestimated is the extent to which the border collie lures you into a BC lifestyle by being so darn interesting, intelligent, and fun. If you start with people who are committed to doing well with their pets, the border collie contributes hugely to the new dynamic.

:rolleyes: I didn't mean to hijack this thread into a topic of "how to find a well bred BC pup if you have no stock-dog contacts" (though the suggestions are MUCH appreciated, I'll give it some thought). ... I'm really too busy right now to get involved in trialing. <snip> from agility 2-3 times a week to herding, but that didn't happen, and now I know I have an agility dog. So that's my dog activity. Maybe someday I'll move to the country and get some sheep and try trialing. ... Maybe some of these people who come here asking about breeders are looking for a pet quality BC (a category in which I include agility and disk dogs) because they also do not have the time or inclination to get involved in herding.

I don't think the suggestion was that anyone has to get their dog involved in herding, just that they might attend a trial or two, if there are any within reasonable driving distance, and meet working breeders that way. A person doesn't have to get livestock, train their dog on livestock, or even work at a trial to go to one and meet people. Often you can find trials that are associated with events like fairs or fiber festivals. So the idea was that the best way to meet breeders and see different dogs of different bloodlines all in one place is to go to a trial, not to train your dog and compete in a trial. If you're doing some other dog sport, then you obviously have blocked out some time in your schedule for sport-related activities. So maybe that means seeing if you can find a sheepdog trial not far from an agility trial and then heading over after your agility runs are complete.

If someone does happen to miraculously find a good breeder without being involved in herding or trialing or any kind of livestock at all, great, but improbable.

I think like anything that requires commitment, one has to make a commitment. If one wants to find a working bred dog, then I don't see anything overly burdensome about suggesting a person attend a trial or two. Again, no one is saying you have to train your dog up and compete in trials. If you are pointed at a list of trials (readily available) and you see some within reasonable driving distance, then you just go. It may require part or all of a day, but that's not to great a time commitment when trying to find that perfect pup, is it? And once you get there, you introduce yourself to people and you ask questions. Not everyone will be terribly helpful, but plenty will be. It doesn't take a miracle--it takes legwork and the willingness to perhaps go a bit out of one's way and at least consider doing something you might not otherwise have thought of doing (i.e., attend a sheepdog trial). If you're (the generic you) going the rescue route, you're going to have to put out some effort as well--after all, rescue dogs don't just fall out of the sky. There are applications to fill out, discussions to be had with the rescue group, home visits, etc. I am not anti-rescue, and really believe that someone looking for a pet should go to rescue first, but I do strongly disagree that finding a good working breeder requires some sort of miracle. It just requires a little bit of effort and perhaps stepping outside of your (the generic you) regular routine and/or comfort zone.

Mark's right when he says that some working breeders will sell into pet homes and some won't. I know some very good breeders (by that I mean breeders of excellent working dogs) who sell to folks who may or may not work their dogs on stock. My personal philosophy is that I'd rather have a pup go into an amazing pet home than into a mediocre working home. JMO, of course.

J.

Guest WoobiesMom

Just a small point, as I'm not a breeder and never hope to be, I hope I'm not unwelcome in the discussion. September 15th is Puppy Mill Awareness Day, if we could each do a little bit on that day to educate someone who may be unaware, every little bit helps. And I think educating children is the way to get info into someone's head when it's soft and mushy and impressionable. :rolleyes: Both of my kids now are very pro-rescue thanks to having rescued 3 animals so far and learning the things we did about puppy mills. Maybe rescue groups could arrange to bring their dogs and do educational presentations at schools to get to the kids before they become "buyers" and to educate their parents by proxy. Alot of impulse puppy buying takes place because kiddies hound the parents that they want one, maybe if the kids were educated about pet ownership responsibilities and the availability of good rescue dogs, it might make a small bit of difference.

I got my first Border Collie when I lived in a 850 sq ft Condo. I got Shiro cuz my roommate had an amazing LAID BACK Border Collie. I must have been a SUPER BAD girl in my former life cuz I got the DEMON SPAWN of Border Collies. Tore up the bathroom - so much we had to remod, drove us crazy etc but we worked and worked with her and she became an amazing Frisbee dog and beloved member of the family.

Then we moved to a house with a yard where I did rescue. we got this pathetic Border Collie pup from a horrible BYB who shot her with a shotgun, etc and I got her as a pity buy to save her from being shot since the lady was going on vacation and didn't want to drag a pup with her. Had no desire to keep this scared pup who was afraid of EVERYTHING and peed if you looked slightly in her direction.

Fast forward NINE years from the second pup and now Shiro, the first Border Collie , is 14.5 yrs old and still chases balls and is queen of the house. The second pathetic pup is now my top Open dog and is Tess.

I got my first Border Collie as a pet, the second as a pity buy and next thing we know...*POOF* we live on a farm and have a bunch more of these amazing dogs.

I had no idea when I got that cute white fluff ball that I would be here today and I GUARANTEE if you said I would be on a sheep farm and working dogs, I would have laughed my a** off.....but here I am now.

The guy that I got Shiro just wanted the cash and never cared that I drove up in a hot red 2 seater sports car and wore heels. That sport car got quickly replaced with a Legacy wagon!!

A good breeder would have question ed me on my lifestyle, despite on what I wore and drove. . Incidentally, a good breeder would have quickly found out that we were a very active couple with camping, Frisbee, hiking, dog rescue and had dog/animals all my life. The BYB just looked at the cash in my hand.

Diane

I don't think the suggestion was that anyone has to get their dog involved in herding, just that they might attend a trial or two, if there are any within reasonable driving distance, and meet working breeders that way. A person doesn't have to get livestock, train their dog on livestock, or even work at a trial to go to one and meet people. Often you can find trials that are associated with events like fairs or fiber festivals. So the idea was that the best way to meet breeders and see different dogs of different bloodlines all in one place is to go to a trial, not to train your dog and compete in a trial. If you're doing some other dog sport, then you obviously have blocked out some time in your schedule for sport-related activities. So maybe that means seeing if you can find a sheepdog trial not far from an agility trial and then heading over after your agility runs are complete.

I think like anything that requires commitment, one has to make a commitment. If one wants to find a working bred dog, then I don't see anything overly burdensome about suggesting a person attend a trial or two. Again, no one is saying you have to train your dog up and compete in trials. If you are pointed at a list of trials (readily available) and you see some within reasonable driving distance, then you just go. It may require part or all of a day, but that's not to great a time commitment when trying to find that perfect pup, is it? And once you get there, you introduce yourself to people and you ask questions. Not everyone will be terribly helpful, but plenty will be. It doesn't take a miracle--it takes legwork and the willingness to perhaps go a bit out of one's way and at least consider doing something you might not otherwise have thought of doing (i.e., attend a sheepdog trial). If you're (the generic you) going the rescue route, you're going to have to put out some effort as well--after all, rescue dogs don't just fall out of the sky. There are applications to fill out, discussions to be had with the rescue group, home visits, etc. I am not anti-rescue, and really believe that someone looking for a pet should go to rescue first, but I do strongly disagree that finding a good working breeder requires some sort of miracle. It just requires a little bit of effort and perhaps stepping outside of your (the generic you) regular routine and/or comfort zone.

Mark's right when he says that some working breeders will sell into pet homes and some won't. I know some very good breeders (by that I mean breeders of excellent working dogs) who sell to folks who may or may not work their dogs on stock. My personal philosophy is that I'd rather have a pup go into an amazing pet home than into a mediocre working home. JMO, of course.

J.

Julie, this is the absolute best explanation about this that I have heard. There are a lot of folks for whom it might be overly "burdensome" to start volunteering and getting very involved. I'm not saying that there isn't merit in that and that doing so might lead to better connections and so forth, but for some it's just not the way to go for whatever reason.

I like the way you have explained this - a lot.

It doesn't take a miracle--it takes legwork and the willingness to perhaps go a bit out of one's way and at least consider doing something you might not otherwise have thought of doing (i.e., attend a sheepdog trial). If you're (the generic you) going the rescue route, you're going to have to put out some effort as well--after all, rescue dogs don't just fall out of the sky

Thanks Julie!!! I'll second Root Beer's opinion about your explanation. I really think that's what people who come here asking about how to find a good breeder need to hear.

I just want to clarify that personally, I would not rule out putting in the effort to find a well bred pup, and now that you've described specifically and clearly what would be involved, I'll probably consider it more seriously. For me, the fall back was rescue, because it's a route I've already travelled three times, so it's familiar. For others, buying a cute puppy from the first breeder or petstore is the fallback, because both rescue and meeting people at trials might seem overwhelming. So when they get impatient or don't know where to turn, that's where they go.

My earlier post was just an idea about how people might feel when they begin to dip their toes in the BC world and not know where to go to find a one for a pet or sport companion. I'm not whether I'll feel like it's too much work, or "burdensom", to go to trials when I'm actually looking for another dog. Again, your suggestions were clear and made it seem VERY workable and fun. Hopefully it will seem that way to others who come here looking for well bred pups.

ETA: When I say I've done the "rescue" route three times, I did not mean to imply I had adopted from breed specific rescuers three times. I've adopted all of my dogs though, and am more fully versed on what it takes in terms of foot work and paperwork involved in rescue, as well as issues an adopted dog might have, and the joy to be had in adopting an adult dog someone else deamed unwanted.

You know, the thing is, it doesn't even have to be as hard as that.

For a newbie it can be quite difficult to observe dogs at a trial and figure out which dogs you like and which ones you don't. If you have no plans to work your dog it's probably even harder. I think going to trials is a great idea because there's no substitute for face to face interaction, with both handlers and dogs. But honestly, if you are astute, educate yourself about the right questions to ask to identify a responsible breeder, and don't take everything people tell you at face value, it's not impossible to start a search for a well-bred pup simply by using email.

I am not advocating buying a dog online -- not at all. I am not advocating being lazy and not doing your research, nor am I advocating being credulous and believing the website claims on every breeder's site you look at. But if used judiciously, the Internet is a great tool for getting information, and when breeders put their email addresses up on websites it usually means they will answer email inquiries. There's no reason why you can't email a breeder, describe the home you'd provide, say a bit about what you're looking for, and inquire as to whether the dogs they breed would work for you. If you do this, you need to be willing to do some research to find out if the breeders are what they say they are, lest you be taken in by someone who makes slick claims about their dogs or their breeding program. But I feel like communicating more with people who know, not less, is the way to learn and email is one tool you can use to do that.

Melanie,

I agree. My only worry would be that again the person using the Internet would have to be savvy enough to look past a slick website and perhaps figure out whether the person behind that site is legit or not. As you said, they must do the research, and I think that can be rather difficult, especially for those new to border collies. And of course there are breeders whose doors I'd knock down to get a pup who have no Internet presence and whose e-mail address you might never find unless you know someone or have access to, say, the list of upcoming trials so you can glean contact information. Even then, you'd still have to know who these people are or you'd never know to look for them and their contact information. At least if you meet people face-to-face at a trial you can make a reasonable assumption that their dogs are indeed working bred, even if it's no guarantee about the quality of the dogs or the person (and I suppose you can at least get "vibes" if you're talking to a person or seeing them interact with their dog(s)). If you go the e-mail route, you have to trust that the person on the other end is honest or be a pretty good detective to figure out if they're not.

As for figuring out which dogs you like, I guess I wasn't clear. I don't think a person looking for a companion needs to choose a dog/bloodline based on what they see on the trial field per se, but rather that they can see the dogs and their owners together and also get an idea of the great variety that's out there and perhaps get some little idea of personalities. I remember several years ago being at a trial in the soutwestern part of NC and there were several people there who didn't work dogs on stock but were active agility competitors and obedience/agility instructors. They freely admitted they couldn't tell beans about the dogs as stockdogs, but they still felt they could assess the dogs there for agility potential, and that's exactly what they were doing. And they talked to anyone who would talk to them about the dogs, breeding, bloodlines, etc. Of course these folks are an example of people who are already dog savvy, if not stockwork savvy, but I think the same approach could work for someone even wanting a pet. I know of handlers who have decided fairly early on that a pup isn't going to work out, and these certainly could be a source for pets or sport dogs, and you would find them and the pups at a trial.

I think one excellent use of the Internet to do research is to use a forum like this one. It's obvious which folks have and use working dogs and I would certainly advocate striking up e-mail conversations with any of them. While people may be reluctant to give out specific recommendations (i.e., "don't buy from Joe Smith") for fear of repercussions, they certainly might be able to help steer folks in proper directions (i.e., away from known millers and the like). The downfall to that is just what started this conversation--we can be as helpful as possible and the person looking for a pup still might not get it....

J.

Time and experience sadly are the only things that really influence what people do. I first discovered BC's way before I owned a computer. The only trial near my home was the Oatlands. I saw some of the best dogs and handlers working. It brought tears to my eyes everytime I attended.It never occurred to me that one of those folks would sell a dog to a soccer mom for a pet. I didn't persue it. I had my list of wants....black and white with at least one blue eye, wouldn't prey on children like my malamute. I adopted some interesting pets from the shelter over the next 5 or 6 years. When I finally got more computer savvy I was amazed at photos of dogs herding sheep. Breeders pages stating: in training, herding certified, herding tested, top "herding" dog, blah blah blah had me every time. Wasn't every dog just what his owner makes him? My dog looks like he's working sheep when seen in photos! haha!

Too make a long story short....research by the seeker and education by the wiser only goes so far. People will make decisions based on intangibles. Sometimes against their own best judgement.

Keep up the good work with the education, look at the number of folks who read these boards. Someone has got to be learning something.

I think one excellent use of the Internet to do research is to use a forum like this one. It's obvious which folks have and use working dogs and I would certainly advocate striking up e-mail conversations with any of them. While people may be reluctant to give out specific recommendations (i.e., "don't buy from Joe Smith") for fear of repercussions, they certainly might be able to help steer folks in proper directions (i.e., away from known millers and the like). The downfall to that is just what started this conversation--we can be as helpful as possible and the person looking for a pup still might not get it....

Exactly, Julie! I have learned TONS about border collies on the internet. Specifically, through this forum, and striking up a friendship with someone (not mentioning any names Laura :D ) who has helped me along the way. I know that when the time comes for me to get my next (non rescue) border collie, I have a big resource in this board, and the nice people who post here and help out people like me. None of us was born with all the knowledge we have, and we gotta start somewhere. At least I know I can be pointed in the right direction and guided along the way, in my search for a puppy. And unlike lots of people who come here asking for help, I'll actually heed the good advice given!

So, that's my way of saying I hope no one gives up on trying. I know situtations like the one that started this whole thread are disheartening, but we're not all like that. You guys do touch people out here in the Interweb! :D

I agree with what Melanie said about going to a trial, but not being experienced enough to know what to look for when watching the dogs work. But, I still would hope anyone interested in a border collie would take the time to go and see. Strike up a conversation when they're ready and see what happens. I went to one USBCHA trial so far, and while nobody went out of their way to talk to me, I didn't go out of my way, either. I'm sure if I had wanted, people would've been willing to talk dogs with me. I did get a few comments on my puppy and one nice handler even shared her burger with him, so it was a good day! :rolleyes:

ETA: I loved reading your story, Diane.

Melanie, I think it's really risky for a newbie to try to find a breeder through emailing with breeders they find online. I think you're overestimating how much savvy someone has at that stage. "I thought I had done my research" is a constant refrain from people who contact me after buying a dog from a puppy mill, and I believe them -- they did think they had done their research. They are just not in a position to assess a breeder the way we are (through no fault of their own whatsoever). They can look at a website that would raise a festival of red flags for us and see only a caring, dog-loving experienced expert. S/he's been breeding for 20 years! All the testimonials are so convincing! All the pictures are so appealing, and after all pictures can't lie! And on the phone s/he was so knowledgeable! I think it's safer just to tell people never to choose a breeder via the internet, unless they have other, totally independent, expert corroboration that that breeder is a good one. I do hope (and believe) that this forum functions to help at least some people in getting such independent information.

Okay, I think there may be a bit of miscommunication here. I don't expect anyone to be able to evaluate the working ability of a dog at a trial if they are not experienced with working dogs and don't at least have some idea of what they're seeing. What I meant when I mentioned seeing dogs you might like had more to do with physical attributes, apparent personalities off the field, relationship with or behavior toward handlers and other people or dogs--that kind of thing. I did a demo last week and most of the people there asked if my dogs were heelers (especially Pip and Twist). We deliberately used as many different looking dogs as we could so that people could see that border collies don't necessarily look like what you see at Westminster (which was the standard people were using to judge my dogs). Someone looking for a pet or sport dog needn't even care how the dogs at a trial work stock, but they will get to see a bunch of different dogs, all shapes and sizes, various personalities, etc. They will get to see real border collies who happen to be doing what they are meant to do. Just seeing all those dogs can be a real education, even to the person with no idea about working stock. That's what I see as the educational value for non-stockworking people attending a sheepdog (or cowdog) trial. Well, that and getting to meet people who, for the most part, should be knowledgeable and might be able to help them find a reputable breeder.

ETA: Paula, I bet if you introduced yourself and struck up a conversation, at least *some* folks would be more than happy to talk with you--just don't go up to them when it's obvious they're getting ready to run. Since I feel strongly about helping people understand these dogs and their work, I always take the time to talk to spectators at trials. Some handlers are less approachable than others, certainly, but most aren't going to snub someone with an expressed genuine interest. As you're observing the trial, you can also observe the handlers and probably figure out who's approachable and who's not.

J.

Just a tiny comment. Going to trials is valuable for exposure to the people who breed working dogs, but there's way more. While on an intellectual level a person may agree with the proposition that the dogs should be carefully bred for working skills only, there is nothing so moving as seeing and experiencing them work in person. It's like a conversion experience! I'd like the programs at trials to be less diplomatic in their blurbs about border collies, and more straightfoward. I.e., instead of "These dogs are bred for their working ability only," the border collie blurb could say, "The continuation of this wonderful breed is at risk from puppy millers, coat color breeders, and AKC conformation specs. Be very, very careful who you get a border collie from!! Choose rescue or a working breeder. Contact XXX at the ABCA(?? just guessing here) for help in locating a reputable rescue or breeder." Maybe such a blurb could be posted for any BC person to freely download and give out whenever there's a BC story in the news media? Just thinking out loud.