BC Boards

A request

AK Dog Doc:

If the store you work with obtained a FedEx Ground Alcohol Permit, then they could ship wine direct to consumers.

(I am looking up the legal documentation/junk at work right now)

Hard liquor and beer may not be shipped direct to consumers, and must be shipped from licensee to licensee (store to store).

It appears that hazardous materials cannot be shipped to Alaska, but I see no mention of Alcohol (not considered a Haz-Mat)

Consumers who do not obtain a license to ship the alcohol can not, under any circumstances, ship it. I don't think you can ship it Express either, it would have to be Ground. But it IS possible - and if the store wants to sell things online, it might be something to look into!

See, now this is interesting, because every time I've inquired (twice, I think) they've said alcohol IS considered a Haz-Mat. (I was quite insulted they thought my wine was toxic. I assure you, not more than five people have actually dropped over dead from drinking it. Well, six. Okay, nine. But that's all. I SWEAR.) :D I even tried asking my BF (who flies MD-11s for FedEx) if there was some secret employee way around it. No dice. (And of course I would not dream of asking him to risk doing anything "naughty" about bending the rules, partly because I do not want him to get in Big Trouble either, but most particularly since he loves his job and it's really quite a GOOD job.)

So are you saying that if the place where I make my wine got a FedEx ground permit they could ship it for me? Or are you saying that if the FedEx store where I ship from got the permit, THEY could ship it for me?

Olivia, I thought about making a dandelion-peach wine one year (I like to be inventive with the recipes... in fact I'm constitutionally incapable of following recipes as written unless forced to do so.) :D However, the number of flowers required was a bit of a deterrant. I didn't know if I could freeze them and still use them, so I could gather and clean them over several days. Meanwhile, if you DO have a chance to try one of the kits, I highly reccomend them. I prefer dry, full-bodied reds, myself, and I've been VERY happy with what I've made so far (all of which I've made without messing with the recipe, which chould tell you how good they really are.) The ones where I mess with the recipe are my ports and sherries. And then I enter them in the fair, win a ribbon and get $5. Whoopee! Big cash. :rolleyes: My very first Buddy wine - a wine made to commemorate my beloved Buddy dog, who was dying at the time - won its division. A fitting tribute for my darling Blue Dog, I thought.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hil,

You should PM Dan King on the boards; he makes his one wine and all the ones I've tried have been great. He has some nice reds (dry medium to full bodied). He's putting his biochem background to good use. Now if only the AFT would allow me to put my chem & glass blowing backgound to good use at distillation.

Mark

P.S. I like your new signature line

Doc,

When you joined the boards, I couldn't believe that an actual vet would be actively helping people online on regular basis. Many of us got endless help and emotional support and I truly appreciate that.

It's not even comparable but I do understand your frustration. My hubby and I get those 'help me for free' type of requests all the time. I get the 'can you fix my computer, can you do a logo, can you translate this page' from friends I hadn't talked for months! I had to tell them No and explained to them that that's what I do for living and I charge this amount of money for this kind of service. I told them that I'd be willing to help on my term when I have time.

Thank you for helping us and I hope to see you around when you can.

Hil,

You should PM Dan King on the boards; he makes his one wine and all the ones I've tried have been great. He has some nice reds (dry medium to full bodied). He's putting his biochem background to good use. Now if only the AFT would allow me to put my chem & glass blowing backgound to good use at distillation.

Mark

P.S. I like your new signature line

Thanks! :D And I admit I was torn between "Besides, I have to go make wine now" and "Besides, I can't concentrate now, my tea is hotter than moose piss" as my last tag line.... but I wasn't sure that would be okay (since we're not a very "sweary" Board, and the P word kinda verges on it. )

Hmmm... Dan King and biochem, eh? He sounds like he knows a LOT more about this than I do.... Okay, here's the plan. I'll come down to Julie's for some training with Raven. I'll carry on a 12-pack of wine of as many different types as I have on hand. You contact Dan, tell him to bring a selection. We'll have a huuuuuge wine-tasting party at some to-be-named location (one with nothing breakable and nothing that will be damaged if wine is spilled on it. Or if it's vomited on.) Meanwhile, construct a still in your basement that no one knows about - maybe in that spare hidden chamber you never use. Email the design to my brother, also a glass-blower - just for academic interest, you understand. Create a few signature distillates - just to test the equipment, for intellectual satisfaction and all that. Bring the results to the wine-tasting. Be sure to bring Renee. We're going to need help.

INU, I feel your pain. You probably get even more requests than I do - one advantage of living in a small town, not so many people to come up to you while you're at a romantic dinner so they can ask you about their dog eating its own poops..... :rolleyes:

See, now this is interesting, because every time I've inquired (twice, I think) they've said alcohol IS considered a Haz-Mat.

So are you saying that if the place where I make my wine got a FedEx ground permit they could ship it for me? Or are you saying that if the FedEx store where I ship from got the permit, THEY could ship it for me?

If you asked FedEx Express or at a Kinko's - Express isn't allowed to ship lots of things, because there are different restrictions for regular plane cargo. They aren't allowed to ship any Haz-mats or Consumer Commodities at all. Kinko's just plain might be wrong. They aren't always the best-trained people on earth.

FedEx GROUND (we are different branches of shipping owned by the same corporate people - see - express/ground/freight all operate out of different trucks and terminals) does ship Haz-mats. Certain haz-mats anyway - no melt-your-face-off corrosives or kill-all-the-employees poisons! But we ship simple Flammables, Corrosives, and basic Explosives. IF the shipper is certified. I am, in fact, certified to clean up hazardous spill in-terminal, and we have the guidebooks and DOT books and all - WINE is not a haz-mat. But again, Express may have said that just because they aren't allowed to ship it.

5 years back we did NOT ship alcohol, but policies/laws have changed, and now we do. I don't know if customer service can help you much, but you could try the 1-800-Go-Fedex number.

What I'm saying is that if the store you work with (a business that sells alcohol) obtains a license FROM FedEx GROUND, they will then be able to ship wine out to customers. GROUND only. This may take a week or two from AK! But still, it's wine, not meat! (we've had spoiled meat this summer - ICK!) I've no idea if such a license costs money, but I'm quite sure there's paperwork involved, and they'd have to obtain a shipper number and start an account with Fedex ground if they don't have one.

I do think we cannot ship alcohol to Canada, but there should be an exception up to Alaska because it's just passing through. My supervisor did not know the answer either and was going to call her regional quality person and ask him :rolleyes:

But yes, FedEx can ship alcohol. BUT it may be a pain in the rear to do!

You could always just call it "cooking vinegar" like someone suggested, but I would strongly recommend going completely overboard with packing material, and making absolutely sure that the recipient is over 21 because if FedEx releases alcohol to an underage person they might be liable in a lawsuit!

Sorry, checking this thread way late! I can't imagine PM to ask for free vet advice, but I know a lot of people are not as boundary conscious as I am. The head of the largest children's ER for three states lives at the end of our street AND goes to church with us. My dh is ALWAYS wanting to call him up to ask this or that. I won't let him. I just won't. He thinks I am crazy, but I feel it is just really taking advantage and wouldn't do it unless it was life or death and I had no other option! I am going to make my dh read this post.

Thanks for helping me, AK Dog Doc, with my obtuse dh, an unlikely side effect of your predicament!

I wish someone could ship wine to me!! I would LOVE to sample wines from other places. :rolleyes: Utah is one of those states that shipping wine to is illegal (no surprise there). Oh well!

AK Dog Doc, I appreciate reading your knowledgeable and witty posts and the information that you share. Thanks for your wisdom and generosity with the Board.

AK Dr...you can stop by my place which is near Seattle. We have a wine room with some wine that is begging to be drunk plus tons of sheep and a lot of Border Collies. Bring your pup too!!

And the only vet advice I will be asking you is..."do you like the Cab or the Merlot?"....what, let me rephrase that to "

"are my dogs allowed to drink the Cab or Merlot?"

My friend who is a vet....I give her free weekly lessons and she does sheep vet work for me as needed....it's win/win situation.

Diane

I don't know about anyboby else but now I have this perverse notion I should start pm-ing you about all kinds of other stuff. :rolleyes:

Just to hammer home the notion you aren't popular just cause you're a smart kid. :D

Thank you for the times you have replied to some of my posts with behaviour issues for my Shep. I have always considered it an honor when you give advice and I believe maybe it will help others too who search for the same problem someday. Your replies should be in view for all to benefit from if it's in response to medical/behaviour stuff.

I have always considered it an honor when ANYONE can help with advice for that matter!

I still have the amazing note you pm'd me years ago, in response to a reply I wrote, after it was time for Buddy to go to dog heaven. (yes I still need to believe there is one). I come across it now and then and it remains an really important thing to me. It always will.

Don't go.

Cheers.

Kim

....what, let me rephrase that to "

"are my dogs allowed to drink the Cab or Merlot?"

Well, if I were there with one of my pups, "allowed" wouldn't even be a consideration. Pip has mastered the art of using his tail to sweep alcoholic beverages off of their resting places (in all innocence of course!). Then because he feels so guilty about spilling said drink(s), he immediately jumps in to help with clean up! :rolleyes: (And as this is Raven's littermate, I can only imagine that perhaps little Raven likes a wee nip now and then too!)

J.

Well, she DOES like a wee nip now and again, now that you mention it, but she mostly likes a wee nip of Dave. :D (This was his fault, actually; he provoked it by pushing her too hard one time when she was a puppy and not sure of him, and she nailed him for it. I was too far away to intervene before it went to its logical conclusion. They worked on an understanding later that day, much encouraged by myself and judicious applications of Yummy Chummies. Lest you misunderstand, Dave is actually a better trainer than I am, in most cases, but he's had no experience with a pup who is herself inexperienced with men, so he didn't see that his mere guy-ness would worry her. A woman would TOTALLY have gotten away with it - possibly even gotten kisses for it - but she just couldn't deal with it with A Man.) :D

That Pip. I think you should observe to see if it's only CERTAIN alcoholic beverages, or if it's ALL alcoholic beverages, or if it's ANY beverage regardless of alcohol content or lack thereof. He may have one of those selective tail-swipes. You have to admire his taste and discernment, if so. :D

Hmm, all these excellent wine-tasting invites... maybe I could take the winter off and just motorhome from one tasting to the next - with all the dogs in tow - and get free (if slightly inebriated) coaching! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Anyway, I'm very glad I've helped (wherever I have)... and I'm glad I'm not popular just for being a smart kid! :D Although, doesn't it sometimes work out that being a smart kid is why you're NOT popular...? Until it comes time to get help on the math homework, that is....! (Anyway, that's not the worst reason to be poular... I used to be popular with my mechanic because I was wearing a tank top the first time I went in there. I NEVER went in there again in anything but the most demure, high-necked, loose and bulky clothes, but that tank top was apparantly seared forever in his memory. It was very odd. I'd like to think it was my fantastically toned biceps he found so memorable, but somehow I'm just not sure....) :D:D:rolleyes:

P.S. - I think definitely Cab for a BC. They need the complexity. :D

I'm way late coming into this but I couldn't agree more with the others. I'm appalled someone would PM you for advice. But I do hope despite their ignorence, you will still stay with us.