BC Boards

Meeker results

Sue R

Results are on the Meeker website but it's Tommy Wilson and Sly in first, Bev Lambert and Bill and Pippa in second and third, Tommy with Nick in fourth, Lyle Lad and Shep in fifth, the man from Switzerland whose name I can't remember well enough to spell and his dog in sixth, and our own Elizabeth Baker and Rye in seventh place in the finals!

Congrats to all, and especially Elizabeth and Rye!

Yay for Tommy! Seems like it's the "Year of Tommy and Sly" so far. Meeker last fall, then the Bluegrass and Meeker again. I for one am really hoping he breaks the curse of Meeker at the final's this year. Well, that is if I can't win it anyway. :rolleyes:

Also, a huge congrats to Elizabeth and Rye! They are quite a team.

That's because it's only fair to spread the love, er, victories.

As long as any curse doesn't involve injuries or player suspensions I guess we're OK.

Is there a similar "Soldier Hollow Curse" or has Soldier Hollow not been around long enough for one to have formed yet?

I arrived back late last night after 18 hrs of driving....went to work 1st thing this morning....now I'm exhausted and ready for bed.

Thanks everyone for the Congrats....I was thrilled with Rye's work....well, except for the x over on the turnback. He was determined to go back to the first lift, but I eventually convinced him to listen. The xover cost us time that we needed in the intl shed. We had good lines and made all our panels. Rye shed beautifully and was fast to catch and turn several breakaway attempts by marked ewes. Unfortunately, I got down to one last unmarked ewe that didn't want to be cut out (remember: "don't leave one!"....I knew I was toast when the 2nd to last ewe volunteered to leave).

Tommy's run with Sly was spectacular.....a clear winner. What a team!

I was also very very impressed with Lyle Lad and especially liked her Shep dog. They are a tremendous team.

I just love Meeker....the scenery is so dramatic and impressive and the little town is quaint.

Sidenote: apparently a skunk moved in while I was away.....the dogs went after it and now I've got 3 dogs skunked and the side of the house got doused. It is the most potent and sickening smell. Argh! I don't want to deal with this right now.

Elizabeth, your run was incredible. Do you think having to stop the clock and wait for the second packet of sheep hurt you at all? You and Rye had such a nice flow going before that--and again after that, but stopping and restarting definitely seemed to break up everything...

Sorry to hear about the skunk...yuck...

Yes, being stopped to wait for the 2nd drop did cause problems.....I had a pretty good flow going to the fetch gate and was in the process of flanking Rye over and he readily looking over his shoulder and turning back when the judge asked me to stop. Lying Rye down and waiting a minute or so, caused him to lock on and harden up. Furthermore the 1st group were drifting into him to right field (it was a right field turnback)....when the clock restarted I had to walk him up into the pressure to make some space for the turnback....leaving alot of pressue leaning into Rye as I asked him to go back.

Afterward, I was advised that I should have taken a page from Tommy's book when the same happened to him....actually, I could a stand to read the whole book.....he kept moving Sly back and forth. I'm not sure how that would have worked for me because I don't have a perfectly square flank "in field" command on Rye...he's always moving forward, so this would have caused us to travel further down the field. I guess I really didn't understand what I "could" do while the clock was stopped....when it happened to more experienced people, they were actively moving their dogs.....I felt kinda frozen and my mind went blank about changing strategy.

The ironic thing is that this same thing happened when I made the Finals in 2004...the 2nd drop didn't get out in time for the first two runs....so on the 3rd drop they changed and began setting both groups on the field at the same time.