BC Boards

Oh I'm in trouble......

Guest WoobiesMom

Guest WoobiesMom

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displa...i?petid=9097867

I've watched this little girl since she came into the Richmond pound. It wasn't known she was deaf then I guess because there was nothing in her description then. She went into the SOS pets program at a local correctional facility and their description now says she's deaf. She's a beauty and I've been hoping someone would scoop her up so I didn't keep seeing that pretty face when I was browsing. I'm such a sucker for a hard luck story and have really been wanting to get Woobie a "wife". :rolleyes: There's a woman who frequents the dog park with several Aussies. One of them is deaf also and she says the only problem she really has is that he doesn't know when he's playing too roughly because he can't hear the other dog squeak.

Please! Tell me bad things about having a deaf dog. I'd love to get her, I just don't know if Woobie is ready. But I always feel so bad that as much as he loves the dog park, he doesn't have a companion of his own here at home. He so loves other dogs. He's never met one he hasn't adored. Anyone with deaf dog experience out there? How do they adjust to dogs they haven't grown up with? How does the other dog know how not to startle them when waking them? So many questions, but gosh, every time I see her I get that feeling that I had when I saw Woobie's pic, like maybe she's "the one".

Sigh.....

If you do a Google search on "deaf dog training" you will find tons of resources. Many dogs compensate so well that you have to live with them for a while before you figure out they are deaf. That is probably what happened with this little girl. Their other senses take over as much as possible. Steward and I pulled a Mini Aussie from the shelter recently for Mary Ann, and we never suspected he was deaf. Mary Ann had him for a week before she figured it out, and she is an expert. And I also think other dogs adapt to handicapped dogs even better than we do. I have heard so often about dogs who lead their handicapped buddies out of trouble when necessary, even functioning as guide for blind dogs. Woobie will probably figure deafness out fairly quickly. Sorry I can't give you any horror stories. Good luck. She sounds like a winner.

Kathy Robbins

I know Jo&Tex aren't on line as much as she usually is so I'll jump in for her (a bit) Jo adopted Loki who is stone cold deaf. Tex is blind. So needless to say, she does have her hands full at times :D Loki is a charmer and responds extremely well to body/sign language. Now that Jo has found a place that is securely fenced, she even allows Loki off-lead time. It took TIME & patience with Loki since he is also a bit (okay, maybe more than a bit) compulsive. You can invest in vibrating collars, as a training asset.

Loki and Tex lead a very normal dog life and except for the adjustments needed for their disabilities you wouldn't really know they weren't 'normal' dogs :D

So....can't say anything bad about deaf dogs....I'd say go for it :rolleyes:

Anyone with deaf dog experience out there? How do they adjust to dogs they haven't grown up with? How does the other dog know how not to startle them when waking them? So many questions, but gosh, every time I see her I get that feeling that I had when I saw Woobie's pic, like maybe she's "the one".

Sigh.....

There’s a forum on HandicappedPets.com for blind and deaf dogs. I’m sure someone on there can answer your questions. The information and support I received from the amputation forum was great.

Sierra is a cutie. I love her pink nose

I really can't think of anything bad about having a deaf dog. The WBCR had a deaf aussie. She was the sweetest littlest dog I have met. When you fed her you had to watch because she would pull your pants down :rolleyes: But she was really good about looking for hand commands and was a very fast learner. I hope Woobie gets a buddy :D

The worst I can tell you is that they don't hear! :D

Many years ago we rescued a pup the breeder was going to kill due to being deaf. She was a little heeler dog and a beauty. I babysat her while her new owner was moving from college back home. I don't know how many times I called her just to make sure no one was around to witness me calling a deaf dog! :rolleyes:

She got along just fine and ended up being fully trained to handsignals.

And FWIW.... even dogs with normal hearing tend to loose hearing as they age..... so if all of

our dogs live to a ripe old age, many will be deaf.

Though sometimes this hearing loss can be quite selective. A friend has an older husky that seems not to be able to hear what's said to him, but he can hear the refrigerator door open from the next room :-)

We adopted Max in '96 not knowing he was deaf. He's a great dog! Probably about 14 years old now...he sleeps very soundly...I blow on his ear feathers to wake him. He also chases imaginary things, his happy time is the season of white daytime moths. I blink a porch light to call him at night. He won't come in till the last human is home. He loves other dogs. I've had a couple fosters who had it in for him because he doesn't respond to doggy body language. and he does stare with those blue eyes...there, have I discouraged you sufficiently?

We adopted Max in '96 not knowing he was deaf. He's a great dog! Probably about 14 years old now...he sleeps very soundly...I blow on his ear feathers to wake him. He also chases imaginary things, his happy time is the season of white daytime moths. I blink a porch light to call him at night. He won't come in till the last human is home. He loves other dogs. I've had a couple fosters who had it in for him because he doesn't respond to doggy body language. and he does stare with those blue eyes...there, have I discouraged you sufficiently?

See, it's great. You get into mischief, then you give the Food People the Blank Look. Like this:

GusStareJune07.jpg

I've had a guy with a completely deaf aussie come to a couple of my agility seminars. GREAT dog. Really keyed into his body language, so it's made him become a much better handler. Really sweet with people and dogs, and aside from checking in and looking at him a lot, nothing strange about her.

I'd imagine with an adult adoptee you'd have to spend a little bit of time getting to know and communicate with each other outside before the leash could come off, but other than that, go for i

My neighbor has a deaf dog. Mason is the old girl's name and she's a GSD, born deaf. She's 10 now and puts my Recon to shame with the number of different commands she knows. Hand signals and light signals (neighbor also does the blinking porch light thing to call her in at night) and is very very quick and responsive.

She has a standard poodle sister who will, when the dogs are called in during the day, go in front of Mason and turn her back towards the door. Once that has happened, she heads to the door on her own.

She's friendly. She's fully house-trained. She's never met a stranger. Does not bark at the mailman, yay! She's also awesome during the 4th of July, Mardi Gras parades, New Years, thunderstorms, hurricanes, you name it.

Oh, wait...I'm supposed to be listing negatives...erm....well, I'll think on it.

Guest WoobiesMom

Well, you guys FAILED MISERABLY!!! I sent in my application today and spoke to the adoption coordinator. She seemed impressed with the work and research I've done with Woobie's issues and the research I'd done on deaf dogs already. I'm (trying) holding back my enthusiasm because I'm not sure how picky they'll be with placing her (which I think is totally fine though). Apparently, a couple met her and she was skittish with the male even though she's at a correctional facility surrounded by men and with a male inmate/trainer presently. So they didn't think that would be a good match. That gives me a little pause. If they'd seen how scared of my son Woobie was when we got him, they might have thought the same thing but thanks to Jason's patience and work, Woobie is most in love with him out of all of us. I'm not sure how heavily they weight first impressions. I'm already committed to the cost of a vibrating collar and using that to get her attention and to teach come with that as I've read, etc etc etc.

My biggest concern (and I voiced this to the coordinator) is that she and Woobie could feed each other's weaknesses rather than strengths. If she keys in to him as an indicator of how things are or if she should be afraid of something she can't hear, his fearfulness might trigger her to be afraid of things she wouldn't normally. I worry she might think (in her doggie head) "Well, look how scared he is, there must be *something* around to be afraid of!" I would manage this by taking her out in public without him at first since this is where most of his fearful behavior comes out. Then later I'd take them out together in short spurts to minimize Woobie's fearful reactions. I think there's the potential for them to feed each other's strengths (they say she loves people and has agility potential) but I would want it to be a good and positive thing for both of them.

They have a behaviorist trainer who has worked with her extensively that they are going to have contact me to discuss all this stuff and depending on how that goes and her impressions, we might move to the meet and greet at the facility. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point and am compiling a list of questions/concerns.

Good luck, how exciting for you and Woobie! And um, did you really expect the crowd on this board not to fail miserably? :rolleyes: I mean really, I have three dogs and outside of this site I'm considered a crazy pet lady. On this site, I'm a few dogs short of a normal household. Which is awesome.

That's awesome!! I sure hope you get her. I know she'd do great at your house. I bet 'ol Woobie will warm up to her pretty fast :D Paws crossed.

I mean really, I have three dogs and outside of this site I'm considered a crazy pet lady. On this site, I'm a few dogs short of a normal household. Which is awesome.

Isn't that true. But that's why I love coming here and talking to everyone. There's no one quite like dog people :rolleyes:

Guest WoobiesMom
I mean really, I have three dogs and outside of this site I'm considered a crazy pet lady. On this site, I'm a few dogs short of a normal household. Which is awesome.

:rolleyes: Ain't that the truth! My son is mad I might be getting another dog. He said last night "You just keep adding animals and you're never going to...." I haven't dated in almost 5 years and I don't miss it at all. I'm happier now than I have been in 20 years. They have a stepmother they hate so I don't know why they want me introducing new people into their life and he's hardly home. My daughter loves the idea but thinks I need a date too. :D I don't think 2 dogs and 2 cats quite qualifies me as the crazy animal lady yet and I've made more friends at the dog park than I have in years. So, basically, my son can bite me, if it's a good fit, I'm getting her.

FWIW, don't worry 'bout the fit w/my son. He was hesitant about Woobie too when he heard he was super fearful, then his psychology major kicked in and he loved putting all the desensitization and counter-conditioning theory to actual practice and loves him like crazy now. And Woobs feels the same about him. I've no doubt he'll warm to her if I get her, he really loves dogs and the idea of rescue.