BC Boards

The most horrible day of my life

Guest TheRuffMuttGang
We have enough for rent for the apartment, basic bills and food for us and the dog. That's it.

No offense, but this sounds like a lot of people in the world. Is this money that will be running out soon or is there at least enough income for you to stay put where you are until you can work out some travel plans?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things you might look into as far as housing for you, if you haven't already,

first craigslist

second, if there are any colleges or unis in the neighborhood you prefer, often their webpages, newspapers and (when one of you gets there) campus bulletin boards have housing listed. Often times people living near a campus will rent out part of their house, for considerably less than an apartment. Moving in with students might also be a cheaper option (not ideal, I know, but probably tolerable for a few months while you get on your feet).

Well, I can feel for you and a tough decision it is. I was divorced and had to move from 40 acres to the city. PLUS rent and I had 6 dogs. Two of them I had planed on training and selling. One was started, so she was pretty easy to find a good home for and I knew better than to get emotionally attached to her because that was my plan. The other was a pup and the people bought the pup with the trained dog. Good horse ranch not too far away. Now I was down to 4 and could only keep 3. Of course Miss Lacey had to stay, and my rescue dog that I had made a promise that I was his forever home. The other 2 dogs I had had for 6 years. I spent many a night bawling my eyes out over this one until one day, someone I had met on a regular chat board had told me about her mother & father. They had lost the zest for life and needed a dog. We spoke on the phone and e-mails and met in Oregon. Her mother paid the shipping for China, I cried. This was the most fantastic owner she could have. The husband died about 3 years after China arrived. The dog had excellent care. When her kidney's were giving out, she was looking for a transplant !!! We've shared e-mails and pictures. China died a couple years ago and we still keep in touch. A day didn't go by that I didn't want her back.

Did I ever ask for her back- No. I don't know if she would have been happier with me or with Bobbie, but I do know she made Bobbie very happy. She always called her "our girl". Tore my heart out. In all, the decision has to be yours. I just would never put myself in that place again. If I die, Usher is already taken care of.

So you guys, I know it's hard to understand everything over the internet, it sure is hard to explain everything. I just hope that in the two plus years I've been on this board, you guys know and trust me enough to know my heart is in the right place and I will do right by Odin.

I think that everyone does think that Kee, i have only been on here 4months or so but i know that you really do love your dogs and want the best for them.

I hope that everything works out well for you and Odin and Flora. Sorry that you are having such a difficult time right now. I don't really know what else to put so i shall just add -

*Hugs* from me. :rolleyes:

I read about your dilemma, and skimmed through the posts - Boy! you've gotten a lot of responses, and a lot of good ones!

I like the "baby steps" idea. I would have a back up, just in case, but I would plan on making a life with Odin. Many dogs make the transition to apartment and city living. Just being on a farm, isn't necessarily the happiest scenario. While a dog will cut his losses and life goes on, right now, he is happiest with you and I'll bet if you followed through on some of these suggestions you've received, Odin would be able to make the move with you. Dogs are pretty adaptable. I'd much rather see a dog who is mentally stimulated living in the city than one left to his own devices running in the country - although I'm sure that's not the situation you'd leave him in. I've seen border collies living in NYC with few if any problems --- that's because they've got savvy owners.

I think the rental situation has become more dog/pet friendly. I'd much rather see the happy city dogs than those you drive by in the country, chained to a dog house away from the humans. Those are the dogs I feel sorry for.

Good luck. It might not be as bad as you originally thought.

I wonder if you need a ride for the dogs if you could ask anyone who's trucking horses to take them along. I have a friend whose husband occasionally makes a trip down east, he's brought horses back for her before when he didn't have a full load already. I'm not sure where "down east" he travels, but home for them is in the Peterborough/Lakefield area. Something like that might be a thought. Or, if the dogs are still there in the winter and you need to get them moved, you may be able to find transport with a dog musher. I don't know what the dogsledding is like in Newfoundland, or how many mushers from there might come this way, but at our local race in Haliburton we get people coming from hours away, all over Ontario, and also from the US. Now, they wouldn't likely take your dogs inside their truck, you'd have to be willing to have them travel in the dog box, but it if someone had space and was willing it might get them here for you. If that's a possibility you'd like to investigate I'd suggest you sign up to the message board on Sled Dog Central and ask around http://www.sleddogcentral.com There are all kinds of horsey message boards you could visit to ask about the other idea. One of them is http://www.equiman.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

I just took a quick look to make sure that link works, since I haven't used it for a while. In their Classifieds: Services section (which is where trailering is listed), there's a company called Safe and Sound Transport that says it makes east coast trips every 2 weeks. I don't know anything about them, their rates or if they'd be willing to move dogs instead of horses, but it might be worth investigating.

I'm late reading this but I sure do feel your pain. It's never an easy choice. I think you should go with what your gut tells you. It's right more times than not for me. I know Odin would have a great life even if you both are working. He would see you in the morning and at night too. I'm sure just being with you guys would be enough for him. I know you'll do what's best for everyone. My prayers are with you. If I can help let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I was just thinking about you today too. I wish I could help. If I was closer I would give you a ride.

I don't really know what to say, I know I haven't been around here for very long, but I am so, so sorry this is happening to you. You said something early on about feeling like a bad person because you are poor. If you were a bad person, you wouldn't be worried about what happens to your pets when bad things are happening to you. You are doing the best you can in bad circumstances. I understand what you mean, I struggle with money too a lot of the time and after a while it just makes you feel like a squashed bug. I hope things smooth out for you soon, I hope you get a great job and a great apartment. You will make the best decision for your dogs because you love them.

I, for one, adore moving. If I lived near you, I would help you pack and drive out there and then help unpack. ANd love on the dogs while I was doing it. But that doesn't help if you don't really havea place to stay yet (and correct me if I'm wrong--your MIL will not let the dogs {ok, understandable, it IS her house and not everyone likes pets} OR you {incomprehensible; you are her son's wife} stay at her house?).

If I lived closer to Toronto, I would take Odin for you for as long as needed, understanding you would want him back. (My Whisper has issues with some dogs; a lot would depend on her. She's usually okay with male dogs) I don't know how transport of animals between the US and Canada works, but there must be a way.

I will send lots of good luck vibes your way...

I'm so sorry that this is happening. I read this awhile back, but never really knew what to say. My heart definitely goes out to you. I wish there was something that we could do to help. Just know that you definitely have my support and prayers that things will work out the way they're meant to. ((HUGS))

There's not much to say in the face of being money/jobless except that it will pass. I got married very young had 2 kids very young and fought for money most of my young married life. We made it, the kids made it, and I managed to keep the dog I had. But it wasn't a bc and was a very low maintenance dog. The worst times make the good times that much better. Just keep telling yourself that things will improve. I promice they will!

Only you can decide what is best for you and Odin but remember this situation is only temp. it will pass.

Good luck and FWIW I vote trying to keep Odin if at all possible. Or at least finding him a foster willing to help during your transistion. Wish I could help but AR is a far cry from you.

Kristen