BC Boards

My new companion

I am new to this board and new to dogs (I've always had cats). After months of looking at rescue groups' dogs and soul searching (and a lot of money to replace my old wooden fence with block wall!) I decided to get a dog. I knew it was going to be just like having kids again and boy is it ever! Even though I'm not changing poopy diapers I'm still cleaning up a poopy backyard or cleaning up drool and slobber, or waking up in the middle of the night...But I also get the unconditional love, hugs and smooches, and happy glad to see me goofy grins when I come home.

Today I have just received in the mail the adoption papers from the local Border Collie Rescue for my dog, Bear (I'm changing his name - but have not decide yet to what, either Kodiak or McKinley).

He's about 2yrs old and he's very mellow - a good first dog for me. We are working through a few issues but in the scheme of things pretty minor. He loves to walk and hike and believe it or not, does very well with my cats and my cats are doing well with him. There's a little hissing from Sitka, but she feels free to reach out and swat his muzzle if he gets too close. Denali quit hissing at him a week ago when she discovered his dog brush feels so much better than her comb. And Silver loves his blanket and is willing to share his dog treats if he doesn't eat them fast enough. All of them share the same water bowl.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share. I've enjoyed reading about how all of you are doing with your own dogs.

I would post some pix but I can't seem to get that done.

Guest WoobiesMom

Hmm, from Alaska or in love with it are ya? :rolleyes: Me too! (both lived there and in love with)

Welcome! And bless you for rescuing and not buying!

I'm so impressed! It took Daisy about a year to calm down enough to develop a relationship with the cat, and here you've done it so quickly. Congratulations on your new pup, and we DO look forward to seeing pictures. We luvs 'em! I believe there's a thread that tells you how over in the gallery.

Hmm, from Alaska or in love with it are ya? ;) Me too! (both lived there and in love with)

Welcome! And bless you for rescuing and not buying!

My kids laugh at me with the Alaska theme names *s* (Southeast Alaska was our home for almost 20 years!) As for the cats, the "baby gates" in the door jams to create dog-free zones really helped wonders (per the advise of the foster human). It gave them a place to go if things got to be too much.

Can anyone tell me how to put pictures into my message like I've seen others do? I've tried the browse and upload at the bottom here under "manage current attachments" but can't seem to make it work :blink:

Thanks!

It took Daisy about a year to calm down enough to develop a relationship with the cat.

I am just as amazed as you! Now the "outside" neighborhood cats are a completely different story. If he sees them in our yard he starts barking like crazy (he doesn't bark at our cats) and if we are out walking and sees cats he wants to tear after them! I must look like a crazy women some days out walking because if I see a cat before he does we cross the street or turn around quickly so he won't go bonkers.

Well, what you do is, you upload your picture to http://www.imageshack.us/ or Photobucket. Imageshack is easiest.

Then when you reply to a post you click on the little button that looks like a picture (it's next to the one with the arrow).

You past the URL to the image. Click okay, and you're done! :rolleyes:

Grats on the new BC, and yay for rescuing :D

I think the best way to put pictures up is to upload them to a web site such as Photobucket, which is free. Then you copy the link to the picture in Photobucket (it's easy -- you just click on it). Then when you are doing a post, you click on the photo icon and paste the picture link into the window that pops up.

Edited to add -- ha, looks like Kee and I were in a race to answer you, but hers is better!

What a great animal family you have there, Kim. Love Bear's ears.

If you want to have an avatar photo that will go under your name, click on the My Controls (upper right hand of the page), then go to Personal Profile, and edit avatar settings. It's pretty self-explanatory from there. You can also add signature under the Personal Profile.

Hope that makes sense.

Welcome to the boards!! Bear looks like a really cool dog. His ears are funny :rolleyes:

Welcome to the boards! I see Sitka is a torti! Cool! So is our Tobi.

Tobi is beautiful! Yes Sitka is a torti - sometimes the smudge under her nose looks like half a mustache *s*

Bear's ears are tipped (I think that's the right term). They only looked straight and tall in the picture because he was playing with a toy and I called his name and when he threw his head back the momentum made them stand up straight. lol.