BC Boards

How far is too far?

We recently rescued a BC mix (with Bernese Mountain Dog, we believe) puppy (Lucy). She is probably about 4 1/2 months old, and quite the bundle of energy. My wife takes her and our older BC on walks that are probably 4-5 miles per day (concrete and pavement). Lucy pulls pretty much the whole way, and seems to show no ill effect from the walks (no limping, stiffness, etc.).

As long as there are no apparent physical problems, should we be concerned that this might be too far for a puppy to walk daily? Could it have a negative impact on bone or muscle development that is not apparent now, but might show up later?

Thanks,

Jim

Probably not. But I would be concerned about her pulling "pretty much the whole way."

Anna

But I would be concerned about her pulling "pretty much the whole way."

Ditto. In a couple of years, she going to be a lot bigger and a lot stronger. At 4 1/2 months old, she's not too young to learn not to pull on a leash.

BTW, how do her pads look?

As long as the walk includes lots of sniff time, looking around time, and isn't a power walk intended for exercise, I'd think it would be ok. Check with your vet to be sure.

The pulling needs to be addressed now, as Brenda and Anna said. It's much easier to teach her how to walk on leash correctly now than it is to change a bad habit in a few months.

Good luck!

Ruth n the BC3

I would think a walk is fine even with some jogging points. I just never understood the whole don't exercise your pup until they are done growing thoughts. I would rather have a well exercised pup with good developing muscles than one that has had exercise restricted because of a fear of joint problems later in life. Joints are more stable with more muscle around them, why hinder that development in a growing puppy? Its not like parents keep their toddlers from running around the house afraid they might have knee problems when they are 25 because of too much exercise when they were young...

Keeping a puppy well exercised is better than a bored puppy. I agree with Anna though. I would fix the pulling ASAP, because I know its annoying when Chesney pulls on the leash, the few times he's ever on one.

Her pads look fine - seem to be no problem there.

Thanks for your input on the pulling, we have been spoiled with our older dog, who has always been more than happy to amble along next to us.

Any great tips on how to stop her from pulling other than a choke collar? Or would that be a good way to address the problem now - we were hoping not to have to get one for her at this age.....

Thanks!

Any great tips on how to stop her from pulling other than a choke collar? Or would that be a good way to address the problem now - we were hoping not to have to get one for her at this age.....

Thanks!

Halti harness with training lead is great IMO. You still need to train them to walk propery but you have control over the pulling when used with the two way training lead. You could also try the gentle leader or similar . I have never really used one , i did try the halti headcollar but Holly didn't like it much so i opted for the harness. :rolleyes:

Holly walks well now most of the time so i just attach the lead to the back of the harness now.

Any great tips on how to stop her from pulling other than a choke collar?

A Martingale or Check-Choke collar should help, without the exposure to injury that might occur with a traditional choke collar. The Halti Harness is also an excellent suggestion.

We recently rescued a BC mix (with Bernese Mountain Dog, we believe) puppy (Lucy). She is probably about 4 1/2 months old, and quite the bundle of energy. My wife takes her and our older BC on walks that are probably 4-5 miles per day (concrete and pavement). Lucy pulls pretty much the whole way, and seems to show no ill effect from the walks (no limping, stiffness, etc.).

As long as there are no apparent physical problems, should we be concerned that this might be too far for a puppy to walk daily? Could it have a negative impact on bone or muscle development that is not apparent now, but might show up later?

Thanks,

Jim

at 4.5 months old and going 4 -5 miles a day on concrete and pavement I would be concerned about joint problems over a period of time. Problems may not show up for a while, but that is a lot of hard impact on young joints. AT this age I would be looking more at a much shorter walks for her and on something more forgiving than pavement every day and have play times to expend energy. You risk that this dog may show degenerative joint problems at a very early age.

I would think a walk is fine even with some jogging points. I just never understood the whole don't exercise your pup until they are done growing thoughts. I would rather have a well exercised pup with good developing muscles than one that has had exercise restricted because of a fear of joint problems later in life. Joints are more stable with more muscle around them, why hinder that development in a growing puppy? Its not like parents keep their toddlers from running around the house afraid they might have knee problems when they are 25 because of too much exercise when they were young...

Keeping a puppy well exercised is better than a bored puppy. I agree with Anna though. I would fix the pulling ASAP, because I know its annoying when Chesney pulls on the leash, the few times he's ever on one.

I agree totally with you. People are sometime obsessed with future joints problems and, in most cases the problems I've seen have a more genetic-bad structure origin than in over-exercise. Jumps are other matter, they can really cause future problems. Pavement shouldn't be as much of a problem unless the pup gallops all the way but session of free play are always better than long walks (more different muscles involved). And don't be afraid to have a too tired pup some day and another, just be sure to give enough time to recover before exercising again

Personally, I'd say 4-5 miles a day is way too far for a 4.5 months old. OK when pup is about 7-8 months - though even then, I'd have some on grass. Several smaller walks are better than one long one - if you can manage it.

And please, please don't put a check chain on a puppy (or any dog for that matter - but that's just MHO.) Treats - stop when pup is pulling, wait ... when pup's head turns back (even better if body turns back as well) - reward marker - click, or "Yes" and treat. Rinse and repeat. If you need to, every now and again, vary it by backing up a few steps when pup is about to pull - again mark/treat for attention. If you really need to, a third variant is to do a 180 about turn and keep walking but in the other direction - no words or yanking leash - wait till lead slackens and pup pays attention, then mark and reward.

Takes a while, but a food motivated pup will get it pretty quickly. Once the leash is loose most of the time, just reward randomly for that loose leash.

Puppy classes would be great anyway as well, for a whole lot of other reasons.

Personally, I'd say 4-5 miles a day is way too far for a 4.5 months old. OK when pup is about 7-8 months - though even then, I'd have some on grass. Several smaller walks are better than one long one - if you can manage it.

And please, please don't put a check chain on a puppy

I agree.

You might want to look into a Gentle Leader.

When my ex-husband's Old English was a puppy, he both out-weighed and out-stupided me. I had to find something to manage him safely or we'd have both ended up flattened on the road. This really helped.