BC Boards

sometimes I question her intelligence

For the 3rd time in her life Freya has run into a stone wall and broken a tooth. This time it is shattered and the root is exposed. She has an appointment on Thursday to get the remaining bits of tooth pulled out. All she has to do is LOOK WHERE SHE IS GOING. She was too focused on the stupid tennis ball. Oh yeah, you know what she is doing right now? Gnawing on a Kong! Obviously she isn't that concerned.

Poor Freya. :D

Faith sympathizes - walls have a way of running out in front of her, too. :D The last time it happened, she was running full-tilt for her crate (because she gets a treat for going in there when asked) while looking over her shoulder at the cat :rolleyes: and hit the corner of the door jamb with the side of her face. :D I was afraid she'd knocked her eye out, since when she picked herself up off the floor she looked kind of like this: :D No damage done, thank doG.

Tell me again, BCs are supposed to be smart dogs, right? :D

Awww poor Freya.

It is nice to know i am not the only owner of a BC who doesn't always look where she is going.

So many times i have took a breath with an eek sound as Holly has fetched her ball or had a mad dart around without looking and missed various objects by an inch!.

Her worse one though is out walking whilst there is a doggie behind us (even if it is a lonnnng way behind) she doesn't look in front and will and has walked into a lamp post. lol

I have to watch her and the route in front for her, dodging what ever is in her way by telling her to *mind that* or *this way* or whatever.

I would never refer to her as dumb as she is way to clever at certain things but she doesn't see any danger whilst she like Freya is chasing her balls.

So i am sad for Freya and you of course but pleased Holly is not alone.

Another thing Holly does like my previous dog did is if you have her sitting on you she will roll back and expect you to catch her with no thought about if you don't she will fall!! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, Freya does that too. She will roll right off the couch or bed. She has also walked into her fair share of door jams. This spring she was flanking around some sheep and caught her leg in a gate, missing the trial season this summer. The worst, however, was when she bounced off a set of metal bleachers at the park and ripped open a flap of skin on her shoulder (I could see all her muscles). She had surgery to sew her back together again and missed an entire season. She is about the most accident prone dog I've ever known.

Poor thing. I hope her tooth is ok. If she's chewing on the kong, it must not hurt.

I keep a supply of Rimadyl at home. She got some of that. I actually shattered a molar falling off a horse and it didn't hurt me at all. Maybe she has a high pain threshold.

Lightning sometimes crashes into things too when he's tearing around with the other dogs. He's too busy turning around to snap and snarl at them to watch where he's going. Then just this afternoon he fell off the side of the stairs into the basement and I freaked out. Luckily he was okay though. Don't know what happened, I had been downstairs at the computer with 4 dogs sleeping around me and then we went to go upstairs. They weren't running or playing, just slowly walking up the stairs. Maybe they were all still a little dopey from their nap and somebody else bumped him over.

Aww poor Freya! Glad to know she's okay though :D

The other day Flora was chasing her tail and wasn't paying attention to where she was going and she slammed right into the door frame! :rolleyes:

Oh dear! The poor, embarassed thing! (and that tooth! :rolleyes: )

Oreo only ran into something once... she was looking behind her at something and ran straight into the post of our trampoline. Bounced off it and then slunk off as if WE'D done it to her.

At the beach where we walk, there is a large pier. Both my husband and I have thrown frisbees too close to the pier and had Daisy crash right into a piling, at full speed. She takes the notion of "keep your eye on the ball" too seriously. WAY too seriously! So far, no harm, no foul. I sure hope Freya can avoid those walls in future, poor baby.

Sunset_016.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Awww poor girl. That had to hurt. Today actually Black Jack ran into the hay baler while he was trying to chase the ball. Of course THE person throwing it should throw better, or that's what Black Jack thinks.

He ran into a work out bike (not moving, just stuck there on the floor, not moving!) on the side of his face while he was trying to get his ball. Then he ran back to me and fell over like "I'm dead, YOU KILLED ME!!!"

Poor Freya! We can relate, Lou has trouble with stationery objects too. I won't list them all, but suffice to say that the list is, er, voluminous. I think the scariest was when he BROKE a park bench (the kind that is metal on the ends and wood for the seat) with his head. I thought he was dead. He was pretty sore, and it took several visits to the chiro to put him right. The saddest is when he hits the panels in the field. You'd think he'd remember them but sometimes, that eye just overwhelms him. :rolleyes:

I've thought about buying him a helmet and would gladly get a second for cutie-pie Freya.

I think the scariest was when he BROKE a park bench (the kind that is metal on the ends and wood for the seat) with his head.

Ouch!!!

Kyla wants to join the club. Yesterday she jumped off the couch right into a big white porcelain (sp?) bowl that had been sitting there for two days and was extremely VISIBLE. No one was surprised except herself. I really wish she'd look FIRST and jump SECOND! Then she could come along to the rockier mountains, too. But she's got blind faith in something that is supposed to prepare a perfect landing pad for her wherever she happens to come down. :rolleyes:

Her worse one though is out walking whilst there is a doggie behind us (even if it is a lonnnng way behind) she doesn't look in front and will and has walked into a lamp post.

Oh yes. One time in Munich, Kessie looked at something on the street and walked smack into a big blue plastic dustbin. So much for showing off my dog in the city :D. But it sounds like we're in good company.

LOL! Those are hilarious stories... though painful!

I think I have the opposite dog. He's terrified of walking into or close to things if they have even the remotest chance of tipping over, bumping him, or making a noise. It's a wonderful trait, because he won't put his feet up on a chair, table, etc.. unless he's sure it's absolutely fixed and stationary.

Mary

Oreo only ran into something once... she was looking behind her at something and ran straight into the post of our trampoline. Bounced off it and then slunk off as if WE'D done it to her.

lol :rolleyes: Holly does that, if she falls of the bed she jumps straight back on and really gives me a sulky look as if to blame me. I think she honestly thinks it was my fault and if you laugh at her i swear she gets grouchy!!. They are way to human in thier emotions!!!!. :D

Shadow chewed a brick and broke all 4 canines... sooo glad they're just puppy teeth. *sigh* she hasn't managed to break any teeth from running into walls yet tho! Both the dogs crash into walls all the time, how can you miss an entire wall? :rolleyes:

Poor Freya. Unfortunately, Dublin can relate.

One morning, he went running after some mythical creature in the bushes at my property line and ran smack into my cherry tree (a tree that, as far as I know, has not moved once in his entire life! :rolleyes: ) You would think he would realize it was there.

He shook himself off and continued to go about his business. I didn't know anything was wrong until a few minutes later when I called him into the house and realized that he had scraped a huge chunk of fur off his face and was gushing blood. Didn't seem to bother him at all, though it nearly gave me a heart attack! :D

When we are playing Frisbee Ruger is almost always aware of what is around him. If my throw is bad and its going into the fence, he stops short. The other day I was so proud when we were playing in the front yard and it went into the street. He stopped as soon as I yelled at him. Of course, I won't throw it with cars driving down the street but its the principal of game. I don't want him in the street unless he is on a leash.

However, a couple of days ago during our Frisbee session he crashed into Casey, our Springer, while I was making a handoff to him. I didn't know Casey was behind me so it was my fault. That almost started a dog fight. Casey didn't like getting bowled over.

Sometimes Ruger can be graceful and others a complete overzealous clod.

When Cody was about six months old, he was so busy looking at something behind us on our walk that he walked right into a full recycling bin out by the road for pickup, and knocked it over. Empty water bottles rolled out everywhere and guess who had to pick them all up? I do admit though I was laughing at him though he wasn't embarrassed for one second. He said, Mom, it was my JOB to do that on the walk!!

Haha these have made my day!

Out of my dogs, Cody was definitely the worst.

Cody had a really bad case of "eye on the ball" syndrome. He was always crashing into fences, walls, poles etc. One day he started chasing a bird and ran straight into the door of the shed, causing it to collapse (this was one of those solid colourbond sheds that are incredibly sturdy).

His other thing was to fall into the pool. He hated the pool and refused to get in no matter how much we coaxed him. He loved water so I think it was because it would have required a "leap of faith" as there was no gradual way in. There are 4 times that I remember him falling in, but he would sometimes seem wetter than a kiddie pool would allow so I think he fell in more than that. First time, he was chasing the neighbours dog and thought he would take a shortcut. He didnt actually fall in so much as he launched himself and landed in the middle. I think he thought he could actually jump over something that was about 4m wide. Twice he tried to push past Maddi and slipped and fell. The fourth time he was playing fetch, when he returned the ball he crashed into my dad, bounced off him, and landed in the water.

Cody was very good at crashing into agility equipment too. He used to go so fast at the weaves that he would crash into the first one every single time. He would crash into jumps, forget to duck for the tunnel, get tangled in the shoot. You name it, he managed it :rolleyes: It didnt help that he had to wear a muzzel at training. I think he forgot that it added a little bit of extra length to his face, as he frequently walked straight into people and bashed his head on things.

Charlie and Delta both have the cutting corners thing that results in them crashing into walls etc. Charlie will often run into the wall at the end of my hallway when chasing a ball as well. Delta is good at falling out of bed and off the lounge, while Charlie sleeps with his head on the ground and body on the couch yet doesnt fall so go figure.

Maddi (my sister's BC x boxer- lives at my parent's house) is a bit of a dope. They used to have a pool fence that completely split the yard in 2 but the gate was broken so the dogs could get down to that area as well. One day I went around there and she was right down the back, when she saw me at the door she ran as fast as she could in a straight line towards me. I will never forget the sight of her face as it was smushed into the pool fence, shortly followed by her whole body crumbling to the ground momentarily. She did the same thing at the back fence once. My parents have a chicken wire back fence with kangaroos and emus in the land behind them. She saw a roo one day and decided to go and bark at it but forgot to stop when she got to the fence, stupid dog.

Ahh the wonderful intelligence of the BC breed lol. Im sure they were created just for our amusement and to give us things to laugh about.

Freya had her tooth pulled yesterday. I had decided to sneak over and check on her during lunch and I walked in right when they about to start. The little pieces didn't even take a second to pull out. I also had them remove a small lump to biopsy since she was already knocked out. Keep your fingers crossed that it's nothing serious! While she was waking up she crawled into my lap and covered my face in smelly drool and blood. Lovely. As soon as she got home she had a tennis ball in her mouth and wanted to play. :rolleyes: I don't think she will ever learn her lesson.

Don't feel bad, Speck (a BC/Lab of many many moons ago) was as dumb as they come.

I play hide and seek with my pups, where I go out the front door and while the dogs careen out the back door I slip back inside and hide somewhere for them to find me. Well, Speck would get ALL excited and miss the dogdoor and plow into the wall about 1 in 5 times. And I'm not talking a mild bump, I'm talking, full on, whole house worth of speed built up and WHAM.

He'd just shake his head and continue to play.

*shrugs* :rolleyes:

Kelly

My little one came into the house the other day full speed and thought it a good idea to try to jump on the kitchen table...she was only 4 months at the time... :D . Of course she hit the edge with her chest and got flung back on the tile. Shook her head and took off for new adventures.... :D .

Best I can figure she had watched the cats and figured "if they can -so can I"! :rolleyes: