BC Boards

Difficult Rescue Case, advice appreciated.

Is that fence only 4 feet? Or is my depth perception off again? Usher used to climb, but never knew what to do once he reached the top- Oh what a dog. LOL

gottagetout4.jpg

This was something he never did again- Thank doG!!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also really love reading the HrrGrr updates! Please keep posting!

Since you can't put the pentagon along a fence, what about draping two or three of its sides, and maybe part of the top, too, so there's a sense of being in some kind of enclosure? Plastic tarp is pretty cheap. My dog will choose 100% of the time to be in a corner, tucked away, with his back up against something, if possible. Better yet if he can be UNDER something. It's the old denning instinct, I think.

Or... what about a crate in the chain link area? Do you think that would give him too much of a chance to 'hide?'

Congratulations on your work. Once this dog figures out that life can be safe, I think you'll see huge strides. My trainer remarked that my dog had learned to believe I keep the world safe for him. It's a big responsibility, but it has huge payoffs, too!

Mary

Guest WoobiesMom
gottagetout4.jpg

This was something he never did again- Thank doG!!!!

This is exactly what Woobie looked like a few times at the dog park in the beginning when any loud sound would spook him. I FREAKED! I could only imagine him escaping and me never seeing him again or snapped limbs caught in the mesh! Glad he's over that stage!

Huge, great day.

I've been controlling his water and food intake to make sure he sees me as his 'provider'. Also, since I've started walking (in a loose definition) HrrGrr to the Pentagon instead of carrying him, we've been doing much better going in and out. He's also gotten very good about taking petting in the pentagon and his 'den' in the hall as well. So after making some potato bacon soup today, as a reward, made him a canned food treat with a couple of tablespoons bacon grease.

Holy cow, watch out. He was an eating fool. After about 1/2 was gone, he paused and realized that I had been there the whole time since setting it down, watching him eat. He was a bit embarassed, but it didn't stop him. *chuckles*

This evening, we went back out to the run tonight and he was fidgiting a good bit, so on advice, I kept his lead in hand and led him out of the run for some walking around the yard. There are some weak points in the fence that he knows to go for, but I let him see, but not approach them. After 3 passes around where he was running the show, he suddenly 'GOT IT' and started heeling perfectly. The second I realized he was on track I started repeating 'HrrGrr heel, *pause* good boy' over and over and we made two whole passes in around the backyard before returning to the pentagon for water and praise. I sat there, and realized how it must have been for Anne Sullivan to finally get thru to Helen Keller with just one sign 'water'.

I went to take a picture of him (he loves to sit up and watch what I'm doing) but he decided that a full tummy+a good walk=nap time. :rolleyes:

sleepin.jpg