BC Boards

Kennel cough question

Bindi has been hacking tonight and I'm wondering if maybe she has caught kennel cough. The only place I can think of her getting it would be at the dog park. Is that possible? Also, if a dog has kennel cough would they be coughing up foam? She is doing that as well. Any ideas or recommendations?

Yup it's quite possible. KC generally starts out sounding like dogs do when they strain at their leads too hard, then can progress onto coughing so hard the dog ends up coughing up phlem or vomitting. Not all cases get as severe, but it's good to be aware of.

if you start seeing a significant decrease in energy level and/or green snot - a vet visit is def in order, otherwise I've heard that letting it run its course is a fine option.

KC is scary stuff. My parents GR had it once. You feel awful since you can't help them while they have it. But she got better in about three or four days.

I hope poor Bindi gets better. Let me know.

FYI, the term "kennel cough" is a catch-all layman's term that includes any sort of infectious respiratory disease that comes as a result of being in contact with other dogs (a kennel being a common site where that occurs, as a result of having a lot of dogs from different backgrounds concentrated together in a small area - as might also occur at a dog park.) There are MANY possible agents of a nonspecific "kennel cough".

The "kennel cough vaccine" is specifically directed at a single agent, Borelia burgdorferi, which is a common bacterial cause of pneumonia in dogs, and which can be vaccinated against. Because it is NOT the only agent that can call what people usually refer to as a "kennel cough", the kennel cough vaccine will not *necessarily* prevent all coughs caused by contact with other dogs. This is why vaccinating against kennel cough (again, specifically against B. burgdorferi) doesn't mean your dog can't get a "kennel cough" from a different agent; in normal dogs, however, it does confer protection against that specific agent.

Thanks for the info AK dog doc. She's still hacking this morning so we are going to try for a slow and calm day. It's raining too so she probably won't be outside much. I have to work so hopefully hubby will keep her calm. I hope this passes soon. I feel just as bad as when one of my boys is sick.

Ouzo had what I suspect was KC about 2-3 months ago. It passed within 5 days or so. I was realy scared for him.

Give her honey, it will make her feel better, plus she will absolutly love you for it! I also gave Ouzo few drops of cough syrup, since he couldn't even sleep at night (or us!) due to the cough.

Yes, it can be weird like that. Two agility friends had that with their dogs - each friend had 2 dogs, each pair with the same history of vaccination with C5. In each case, one dog of the pair in the house developed KC, the other didn't. Strange.

Hope Bindi feels better soon.

Bindi is still coughing but not as much as yesterday and she hasn't coughed up any flem. But, her eyes are really red and crusty. Her nose was warm and dry this morning but she feels normal tonight. I've kept her close to me most of the day and even kenneled her for a couple of naps throughout the day. I don't know if it's doing any good. I always feel better after a nap so I figure she will too. I hope this passes soon. I was planning on taking her with us on her first camping trip to the ocean over Labor Day weekend.