BC Boards

Eating sticks

My foster dog eats sticks. Not just chews on them, she eats them. Her poops are full of bits of wood and splinters. Is this dangerous? There's no way I can clear my yard of all sticks.....the trees shed them continuously. She has not shown any ill effects from it yet.... :rolleyes:

I would do my best to keep sticks and wood out of her reach. It might not cause a problem, but my previous dog (GSD/Rough Collie) was a major stick chewer and we had several incidences of having to take him to the vet for bowel obstructions (lovely balls of wood fiber, pulp, etc.). He never actually had to have surgery, but came darn close. :rolleyes: It can be very serious.

We never threw sticks, let him play with sticks or allowed any in the yard, but he still sometimes managed to get hold of one.

WWBC, I was thinking of the same link, I ran into it this weekend (while the board was down :rolleyes: ) and I was shocked at the number of horific accidents that were caused by sticks. Reading this is a good and "healthy" scare for everyone...

Maybe it would help to leave other, more tasty chews lying in the yard? It seems to work indoors (fingers crossed, thinking of Kyla :rolleyes: ) so it might work outside as well.

Ack! Now I am worried. There's just no way to keep sticks away from her entirely although I will try. I can at the least move the firewood pile from where it is to somewhere she cannot reach. I have trees that drop twigs and branches all the time, however, so it won't really be possible to keep the yard stick-free. The dog in question is six years old. Don't know if she has always done this or not.....

Ack again. I just went and read all those stories about injuries caused by sticks thrown for dogs. Oh dear. Jester discovered sticks as a throw-and-retrieve toy months ago and now finds one no matter where we are and demands that it be thrown for him. Now I don't want to do it any more. I had no idea it could be so dangerous!!

My problem now is.............what do I do about his stick obsession?? No matter where we are he will find one.

help!