BC Boards
nancy in AZ

Show me your smooth tri's and docked tail BC's

to a BC person Misty is obviously a BC, but anyone else tends to label her as a ACD mix, because its geneticly impossable for BCs to have ears that big lol(I have honest to goodness received this comment from a show dog person lol)

IMG_3789.jpg

03.jpg

(I have honest to goodness received this comment from a show dog person lol)

I was going to say something about show dog people but I changed my mind. I'll be nice. :rolleyes:

to a BC person Misty is obviously a BC, but anyone else tends to label her as a ACD mix, because its geneticly impossable for BCs to have ears that big lol(I have honest to goodness received this comment from a show dog person lol)

That comment was probably made by someone whose knowledge of border collies comes from hanging around the conformation rings, whose dog knowledge doesn't extend too much beyond the breed rings, which, BTW, showcase the "ideal" and "perfect" dog(s), right? :rolleyes:

Next time, tell them she is mixed with African Cape dog.

Here are a few of our youngster Rafe. After we got him, we posted his photo to our rescue group - the only person who did not say he was mix (or no BC) reserved opinion til she could see him move. A good call, as he is quite stylish! (Apologies for the pics, no good ones of him working yet...)

rafehead.jpg

with his 11 tennis balls

rafeball.jpg

rafeflower.jpg

and with the pit bull/beagle/bc mix :rolleyes: :

rafeky.jpg

sg

How 'bout a sort-of smooth tri merle?

BallAbove.jpg

People ask me if he is an Aussie/Greyhound mix, but he's definitely 100% Border Collie.

... because its geneticly impossable for BCs to have ears that big ...

heh.. you want big ears?

CA255.8668690-3-x.jpg

I can't believe this guy is still looking for a home.. from nor cal bc rescue.

Well, I was scrolling through, and was going to post my girls, but Jan already did it for me! Actually, as I was scrolling, I thought, GEEZ!! that dog looks like Riddle--oh, wait--it IS Riddle! Thanks!

Julie--what Hank dog are you referring to? Might be some relation,

Anna

Anna,

My mistake--his name is Henry. He's a dog that was in a pound and when Nancy asked about getting him into rescue, two different people I think didn't take him at first because they said he wasn't a border collie. If anyone was wondering, it also explains Nancy's original post on this thread as well (i.e., why she was looking for examples of nontraditional border collies). Here's the original thread about Henry: Henry.

J.

And here's another nontraditional tri (red tri), though not quite smooth (except when she blows her coat, but even when full coated she barely qualifies as rough), Kat.

100_0293.jpg

When I first moved to this part of NC and Kat ran off and was missing for 24 hours, I put a bunch of flyers out and went door-to-door, and posted to numerous lists. Several people actually suggested crossposting (and did so) her to Aussie lists because they thought the average person would not recognize her as a border collie.

P4170091.jpg

P1010004.jpg

J.

Julie,

GEEZ!!! Henry sure looks like someone related to my lines! He could easily be a littermate to Tikkle (except he isn't). All the dogs in these lines have very similar (and slightly unusual) heads,

Anna

Guest Rockie's mum

Just catching up with this thread and wow-

- Dinah is almost Rockie's doppelganger!

they're all just gorgeous

Domino is a border collie with austrailian cattle dog cross. I think he looks more bc than ACD tho...he has short course/stiff fur like a acd however...and a docked tail when we adopted him.

pup021wh8.jpg

pup008sv9.th.jpg

-Justin

Kristi, where is bob-tailed Wick?? We need a Wick fix.

Sorry, wasn't paying attention and thought this was for smooth tri's! Here is our contribution of a smoothie with a dock. I can't guarantee that she is a border collie, but she sure seems to be one. Also, my vet tells me that the tail is docked (based on x-rays) and is not a natural bob. Hope this helps you prove that some #$#!% do dock them.

wick_reg_0702.jpg

wick_lou_dig.jpg

wick_tunnel.jpg

Hey, Justin. Domino actually looks rat terrierish or JRTish, rather than ACD. Maybe he's a rat/bc mix?

Or is it just me? :rolleyes:

I was just thinking that when I saw those pics....I took him over to my friends house who has a jrt and I'm very sure he doesnt have any or much in him! He looks and acts so different than the typical jrt.....has all the signature bc traits. whatever he is he's my buddy!

-Justin

I find it tragic that anyone would dock a border collie’s tail. Not something to be proud of or cutsie or about in my humble opinion.