BC Boards
nancy in AZ

Show me your smooth tri's and docked tail BC's

I considered showing the two BC rescue groups pics of smooth tri's and docked tail dogs to make a point, but I decided I don't want to ruffle any feathers so I'll just let it pass. Besides, the woman in charge (who I had sent a link of Henry's pic to) of the bc rescue seemed convinced, and was very apologetic for the circumstances that left Henry at the pound.

But I would like to educate members of the rescue org that I'm affiliated with to facilitate identifying bc's and bcx's at the pound. So if you all wouldn't mind posting a picture of your non-classic looking bc and bc-x, and your stub-tailed dogs, I'd sure be grateful.

Thanks!

Hayden is a smooth tri ... and as you can see, definitely a Border Collie:

90476705_89f43071c3_b.jpg

He might not look like Piper, but he can boing like Piper:

111122910_e10d6e93ab.jpg

With his adopted brother Jack.

170990073_093144d6c4.jpg

RDM

Alex is a smooth tri, but could be a mix.

62paw7l.jpg

61y8j93.jpg

e8a9f5d9.jpg

His eyebrows aren't white, but a very light cream. Hard to see in most pictures.

66m3b61.jpg

4klbla0.jpg

Barbara Carpenter's Roy. (If the name sounds at all familiar, it's because she's the author of National Sheepdog Champions and Blue Riband of the Heather. I took the photo while visiting her at her Pastor's Hill farm in England in 2005.) I am posting this picture because I think if someone saw a dog like this in a pound, they might not think he was a border collie either (he'd probably be labeled as a shepherd mix), but trust me he is, and quite well bred at that. I even had the opportunity to watch David Rees of Wales work him for me.

P6040021.jpg

Willow (a rescue, now 10):

P4170079.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

Willow also appears on the Border Collie Museum site as the thumbnail example of a smooth-coated border collie. In fact check out Teddy for another picture of a somewhat nonconventional looking smooth-coated tri (you'll have to scroll down): Teddy.

Lark (who because of her tiny size might be mistaken for something else):

IMG_0253.jpg

100_0839_edited.jpg

100_0813.jpg

J.

<snip>I am posting this picture because I think if someone saw a dog like this in a pound, they might not think he was a border collie either, but trust me he is <snip>

You're exactly right, Julie. And with what *most* people think of when they think border collie, I'm afraid Willow, Lark and Hayden would've all been mis-identified, too. (around here, they'd be shepherd mixes.... :rolleyes: )

Actually, he looks somewhat like a Kelpie...

Julie

Hayden is a smooth tri ... and as you can see, definitely a Border Collie:

90476705_89f43071c3_b.jpg

He might not look like Piper, but he can boing like Piper:

111122910_e10d6e93ab.jpg

With his adopted brother Jack.

170990073_093144d6c4.jpg

RDM

Here are two dogs that are smaller, smooth-coated BCs, and believe me, they are quite the awesome BCs --

Anna Guthrie's smooth-coat Riddle:

Riddle.jpg

Riddle's daughter Tikkle:

Tikkle.jpg

And here is Daisy, who has a bobbed tail:

Daisy-Ling.jpg

Actually, he looks somewhat like a Kelpie...

Julie

Are you talking about Hayden? If so - no he doesn't. He's a border collie, and he looks like one too. To me, anyway. Or did you quote the wrong post?

RDM

Jan,

Tikkle has a head shape very similar to the dog Hank that is the reason behind this thread. Cool! (As in, no one can say, "that head shape isn't border collie at all!")

No. The photo of him jumping reminds me a fair bit of a Kelpie. I do know Kelpies :rolleyes: Of course, out west there are myriad kelpie/bc purpose-bred crosses...

J

Are you talking about Hayden? If so - no he doesn't. He's a border collie, and he looks like one too. To me, anyway. Or did you quote the wrong post?

RDM

No. The photo of him jumping reminds me a fair bit of a Kelpie. I do know Kelpies :rolleyes: Of course, out west there are myriad kelpie/bc purpose-bred crosses...

J

Okay, just checking!

Hayden is very much a border collie. We have gotten a number of BC X Kelpies in, and a couple of all Kelpies, and IMO, and from watching him work, Hayden is ALL BC. As I placed him with my ex, I know him really well. In person, I doubt you would consider him a kelpie at all. It may just be the shitty photos :D

RDM

Kyla has some dark brown over her eyes and on the sides of her neck (close to the head), as well as in her butt fluff...so I suppose she's technically a tri. She's definitely smooth!

DSCF2131kl.jpg

DSCF1555kl.jpg

A participant of the trial we watched this year:

DSCF2746kl-1.jpg

Found you another one: this little girl we met at our herding lessons!

DSCF1985kl.jpg

Not only is she too dang cute to be walking around like that, but she is also from good working lines (as BC as it gets, so to speak).

Found you another one: this little girl we met at our herding lessons!

DSCF1985kl.jpg

Not only is she too dang cute to be walking around like that, but she is also from good working lines (as BC as it gets, so to speak).

Wow!! Look at the ears on that little girl!! She's a cutie pie!!!

Brandy was a BC cross identified as a Springer Spaniel. There is no doubt she had a lot of BC in her :rolleyes:

brandy_girl_19861.jpg

Oooh, thanks all-- these are great. Such outstanding dogs! Julie, I had gone to the BC museum site as well to reference photos. And I have always coveted Lark (but that Phoebe, now she is irresistable). And Sandra, as for that little pixie you posted ---gimmeee!! She looks like a jackal in a border collie suit. Kristi, where is bob-tailed Wick?? We need a Wick fix.

IMG_7542.jpg

Blaze is on the left. He is a slick smooth coat and missing part of his tail. He is a rescue and I don't know his parentage. However, I had his DNA tested and it came back at least 50% (or more) border collie with a touch of Begian Tervuren. Possiblity of other breeds; they only have 38 identifiable ones. He acts a lot like a border collie. The only sure test would be to put him on sheep, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Luce is on the right. She is also a smooth coat, but it looks really long next to Blaze. She is a full border collie, however, she doesn't have a docked tail.

Neither of them has what most people would consider to be typical border collie ears. Blaze's are very obviously upright and Luce has one drop ear and one airplane.

I have been told the Luce can't possibly be a border collie because she isn't black and white. :rolleyes:

ETA: Luce is actually a red tri ... she has some copper on the back of her hind legs. You can barely see it in the picture above.

And DANG her tail is really getting plumey!! I never really noticed until I looked at that picture above again! Just don't notice those things when you live with the dog 24/7 :D

Jan,

Tikkle has a head shape very similar to the dog Hank that is the reason behind this thread. Cool! (As in, no one can say, "that head shape isn't border collie at all!")

Tikkle is ALL BORDER COLLIE ALL DAY! She's also a tri, too, though her brown isn't that conspicuous.

Tikkle is ALL BORDER COLLIE ALL DAY! She's also a tri, too, though her brown isn't that conspicuous.

I know. That's why I pointed out that she and Hank (eta: I mean Henry) have similar heads. It would mean that no one could point to Hank's head and say he's not a border collie based on head shape alone.

J.

Ooops! I knew you knew Tik's 100% BC ... I just meant that Tikkle's personality is sooooo BC. She would work all day -- and all night -- if you let her!