BC Boards

Anyone tried TRIFORCE?

Belleview

Wondering if anyone has tried TriForce for flea/tick/mosquito control?

I've used Frontline for years & been pretty satisfied, tho I tend to use it closer to every 3 weeks rather than 4 now. I also use a natural repellant every day before the dogs go for their evening hikes. My vets recently put out a notice to all their clients advising them to switch from Frontline to Advantix because they're seeing a big increase in Lymes in the area & most of the dogs testing positive who were on something were on Frontline. One of my dogs has a reaction to Advantix which precludes using it and the other 4 seem to fuss with the spots after their treatment way more than with the Frontline. My dogs swim daily, so I need something waterproof.

Thoughts on TriForce?

thanks.

Lori Cunningham

I have with very bad results.

My female german shepherd weights in at 92 lbs not fat. I put the dosage for 61 lbs and over on her. Within 12 hours she was showing neurological signs. Listless, wobbly and overall puny on top.

I asked my vet and she told me that the ingredients are generic version of permethrine (sp) so essentially the same as BioSpot which I absolutly will not use.

I feel very comfortable to blame the product because of the following reasons.

*The timing of the onset of signs.

*The fact that this dog is healthy and very hardy.

*But mainly because after bathing her 3 times she showed immediate improvement. A huge improvement took place after the first bath.

I will not use it again and am just grateful that I had held of using it on my HA Border Collie female!

One more thing. I went back to the feed store to ask them about any feedback on the product (different feedstore and did not tell them why I was asking) and they confirmed that they have had negative feedback already. They had just started selling it about 3 months ago.

Just something to think about.

That's interesting as I suspect my dog who reacts to Advantix is reacting to the Permethrin.

I've known several dogs personally-- like my own-- who have had reactions to BioSpot & Advantix & when the manufacturers were contacted the response was to try to wash it off with something like Dawn dishsoap that would cut the oil base of the product. The dogs I know, including one of my own, got funky in the rear end, held their tail funny & were very bothered by the spot, almost immediately after applying it...tho improved almost immediately after washing the stuff off. The others didn't have that reaction, but fussed & scratched at the spots for a good day or two after application.

Anyone know for sure if the ingredients in Tri-Force and Advantix are essentially the same? Mark? Are you out there?

Lori Cunningham

Hey Robin-

I'm going to carry on with my current use of Frontline & the herbal spray for now as it seems to be working. Just a little disconcerting when your vets come out with an advisory to try something different. I was hoping that the chemical combo in TriForce was a new one to try. I have avoided collars because I personally have a problem with the smell...but I'll deal with them if I have to!

See you at the finals.

Lori

Lori,

If you're using a repellent and checking your dogs daily for ticks then you're probably doing about all you can to prevent Lyme infection anyway. FWIW, I've found attached ticks on my dogs while using Advantix, though I've had nowhere near the problem I had when I was using Frontline. I don't consider any of them foolproof, so I always try to check for ticks regularly. (And as for the Preventic collars, could you store them somewhere and just put them on the dogs for your evening hikes, or do they have to be in constant contact with the dog to be effective?)

J.

• 1 year later...

Sorry, no expirence with Tri-Force, but I've been using a spray called Zonk It! as a repellant with good luck, it is a 35 day residual. You find it in the horse department but it is labelled for dogs. Controls both fleas and ticks, seems to take care of fly strike too. Smells good, water based with Lanolin & Aloe. It is .50% Permthrin. I reapply after the dogs get wet or when I see flies lighting on them.

Deb

Oh! I bought Zonk It! at the same time to use on the horses and I do like it. Smells nice too, and I'm even trying it on the cows (since they stood nicely when I sprayed it on them over the fence). I guess I'm lazy with the dogs and like the once a month treatments, especially since Alice is loved by ticks.