BC Boards

Update on our Ol's Man Buddy Dog.

Well it was our fifth day in our new home and with our new additional dog, Buddy. Gave the old man a bath and he ran around like a happy crazy dog afterwards. How good to be clean!

We had the dog doors installed and after a few practices he had it down with no problem. We are still taking him out to potty every few hours, but today he is inside with Rob and Briar on his own?we will see how he did when we get home. We have had no accidents in the house and he has gone out through the doors on his own to check noises in his yard.

I have a feeling he doesn?t see too well in the dark, so we have made an easy path for him and put a sticker on the sliding door to the deck so that he doesn?t run into that again. Poor guy!

He and Rob are working things out. Rob is most definitely the leader of the dog pack and will warn Buddy not crowd his personal space and who goes out the door first after mom. Briar just goes with the flow and Buddy seems to really like her company.

There is no sign of the dog that bit me last week. Being in the house and being with people instead of sitting alone in a dog run has completely changed him. He walks around all day with a wagging tail and a great big grin on his face. He is an angel in the house calmly following me around and content to lay at my feet when I sit down, which I haven?t done a lot of the last few days of the move.

The vet had an emergency last week so we got rescheduled for his checkup. Found a few lumps on him during his bath that I will have her check. Other than that, he is energetic in outside play, he is eating and drinking well and soaking up all the attention. :rolleyes:

I promise to have a picture soon too!

You are definitely still my hero(ine)! What a difference you have made in this poor dog's life. He must feel like he's died and gone to heaven.

I felt a little that way when we adopted Megan. She was an impulse buy - a vet tech in our area decided to get a Border Collie and "researched" on the internet to find a "good breeder". She and her friend went all the way to western TN to pick up her pup and, while there, the friend chose on impulse to buy the remaining pup.

Although both these young people are good, dog-loving folks, neither was supplying their new Border Collies with a suitable situation. Great health care and a kindly home, but not the right kind of situation.

Luckily for Megan (and a little bit later, for Sadie also), her owner realized that he wasn't giving her the home she needed. All day long in a crate, no fenced yard, no one home all day, and only occasional jaunts to the park to run and play...Her tail was naked from compulsive chewing in her crate, and her legs were very crooked and toes splayed from lack of exercise (not to mention her sausage-shaped physique).

From the very first day when she came out here to "check out the place" with our dogs, the joy on her face was obvious to see. She still, after three years, runs through the fields with her nose in the air and seems to appreciate every moment that she's free to play and able to work.

While Celt seems to take the farm life for granted (I know I'm anthropomorphizing, even if I'm not grammatically correct or spelling it correctly) because it's all he's every known, Megan's joy and wonder still seem apparent every time she's able to be outside, to play ball, to chase and romp with Celt, to keep us company as we work outside, or to work with the cattle.

Her joy always brings a smile to my face. I hope and expect that Buddy's wagging tail and happy face will always able to bring a smile to your face, also. There is something special about turning an animal's life around and making them joyful, as you seem to have done for Buddy.

By the way, our old Mac has some lumps in his skin - they are some kind of fatty, benign thing (and I can't remember what they are called). I hope Buddy's bumps are nothing more serious.

Many, many best wishes for you, Rob, Cheri, and the Buddy-boy!

What Sue said. The shine from your halo is really bright! And Rob's and Briar's haloes are looking pretty good too. What does your son think about the new place, and the new dog?

Hope the lumps turn out to be just lipomas - my vet used to call them "old lady lumps". My old girl had a few - most caused no trouble, but occasionally they'll be in an awkward place, or do something weird.

They all did great alone while we were at work yesterday, no accidents in the house, no blood and guts and no dead cats, I would call that a good day.

Barb, Ryan loves the new place as he has his own studio apartment over the garage. We always make sure to settle his room first, with the autism changes are hard, but he has done great! He really likes Buddy and Buddy is the only one

allowed in Ryan's room.

I too am hoping the lumps are "old lady lumps." Thanks all and I will get a picture of him, I promise.

Wow, Cheri - that is great to hear that Ryan enjoys the new place - and to be able to have his own space must be good for him. Sounds like he's done an excellent job of adjusting to a lot of changes. Credit to all of you. And Buddy must really think he's in heaven - not only a loving family, but his own special human.