BC Boards

Hip surgery - Eilidh

Well. Eilidh went to the vet on Saturday because she was limping pretty badly. They scheduled x-rays and such for today.

The news isn't good. Her left hip is completely out of the socket and the socket itself and ball of the hip are apparently pretty bad. The right hip isn't in the best shape, either, but it's holding and not causing her any pain.

I wasn't there for the decision-making, but what Mom and the vet chose to do is not the hip replacement surgery, but where they cut off part of the bone...the ball part?

The surgery happens tomorrow. I am so so so worried about her. Mom's beside herself, 2nd guessing her decision, plus she's still feeling guilty over the whole Recon-ate-a-container-of-pills thing...so it's tense.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing in such a young dog?

I haven't personally. I had a friend that bought a westie that had to have surgery for hip dysplasia. She was a young pup. It cost her $2,000.00. The dog went on to live a long and happy life. I think that I feel so much more secure getting a pup and seeing those @@ symbols on the papers throughout the bloodlines. I know the very few times I bred, way back then, they were on my papers.

When the ball is out of the socket, that must be awful painful. I hope she handles the surgery and the recovery well. I'm sure she's in good hands. I'd ask AK doc. You should PM him.

I've seen them cut off part of the bone to allow it to regrow and go back into place. Maybe that's what they are trying to do here. Sounds like she's in good hands.

Ack! Poor Aerie, your poor Mom, and poor Eilidh. Wasn't there a thread about FHOs recently - or am I thinking of another list? In any case, as far as I remember, mosst of the people who posted about having had it done had been quite positive.

Poor Eilidh. I hope she starts to feel better. I know she'll be fine. Everyone start to question their decision later, it's just part of it. Best wishes.

P.S. How old is Eilidh? I was thinking she was older?

FHO is a fairly common surgery and from what I've heard it's fairly successful too as long as the dog is young. They often don't recommend it for dogs slated to be VERY active but for a regulary active/pet should be fine.

And yeah, they basically just remove the femur heads so no more knocking around in the socket or coming loose.

Poor Eilidh! My aunt had a Lab who had FHO done. Molly was 3 y/o at the time, had gotten hit by a car and something healed wrong. It worked wonderfully for her - she had gone from barely walking before the surgery because it hurt so bad, to prancing up to my aunt when she was picked up after surgery. Molly lived to be 13, was fairly active and was only occasionally stiff in her last few years.

Try not to worry to much - just think of how much better she'll feel after is all taken care of.

There are plenty of active, working dogs that have had the FHO done. We have a dog here that my husband trains and trials who had the FHO done and is doing quite well. I don't know if there are any FHO dogs out doing agility and/or doing repetitive jumping.

Just tell your Mom to do all of the rehab work so that the leg is as functional as it can be.

Kathy

Opps! just saw this post!

Just wanted to chime in that, my parents Golden had BOTH hips replaced / reconstructed before he was 6 months old. he is now 7 years old and doing great, they just have to make sure to keep him a little on the lean side to help his hips out a little, it is promised that he will have bad arthritis when he is older, but for now he is a happy pooch running around as much as possible.

I am sure that she will be fine!

Let us know how it goes!!

Well. Eilidh went to the vet on Saturday because she was limping pretty badly. They scheduled x-rays and such for today.

The news isn't good. Her left hip is completely out of the socket and the socket itself and ball of the hip are apparently pretty bad. The right hip isn't in the best shape, either, but it's holding and not causing her any pain.

I wasn't there for the decision-making, but what Mom and the vet chose to do is not the hip replacement surgery, but where they cut off part of the bone...the ball part?

The surgery happens tomorrow. I am so so so worried about her. Mom's beside herself, 2nd guessing her decision, plus she's still feeling guilty over the whole Recon-ate-a-container-of-pills thing...so it's tense.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing in such a young dog?

Poor Eilidh. :rolleyes: She'll be fine, I'm sure. I had an Aussie about 10 years ago, who had this done on both hips. She had her first one done when she was 7 months old. The ball was completely out of the socket at the time. It looks bad after the surgery, so just be ready. But that's all it is, the poor, pitiful looking dog that pulls at the heartstrings. Mine was so much happier and pain free after the surgeries and never had a problem after. The muscles take over where the head of the bone used to be, so it's actually good that it's done when they are young. Good luck and if you have anymore questions, I'm here.

Well, the surgery went ok. She's home - mom didn't want her to stay the night. The poor puppy can barely move. It's so awful to watch her try. For the most part she's lying still, though.

The incision is huge but it looks clean and not swollen - maybe slightly puffy. The good news is, when we took her out to potty she was trying to move the leg and not whining or whimpering when she did.

My poor sweet puppy. She wasn't allowed dinner tonight and her stomach is horribly upset. We're going to give her boiled rice and chicken tomorrow and let her eat that for a while till she's feeling better.

I feel SO horrible. :rolleyes: I just want to make her feel better.

I'm encouraged, though, reading through this post and others about the procedure...i'm confidant that, being that she is young (around 6 months old, give or take a week or two, since we don't know her exact birth date) I think she'll be ok. I hope. Geez I'm worried.

My Max (avatar picture) had FHO surgery. His was at 18months old due to trauma. He is now about 8yrs old. The hard part is keeping them calm on the leg until it mends. Max still runs and plays, he is just slower getting up and down. In all these years, he has only twisted it once, causing him to limp. Took about a week of down time to get him back to normal. You will be suprised at how well they do! It won't slow Eilidh down much! Good luck!

Glad to hear she went through the surgery so well. Cricket had an FHO done at a year old - She is a very active, energetic and reasonably athletic dog. I'd say Eilidh will be racing around in no time. If you can - get her swimming! It's great therapy and will build up her muscles. Also, try to keep her on the lean side - it's much easier on the joints :rolleyes:

If you think she is in pain don't just accept that. Not all pain meds work for all animals, especially after such a traumatic surgery. My cat had a bilateral FHO done and we went through 5 different meds before I felt he was comfortable. You guys know her best.

She's doing MUCH better today. She's still not willing to move much, but she's figured out how to manage to at least do her business outside and is standing up to eat her dinner. She still only drinks lying down.

I believe the meds are working reasonably well - she starts whining a bit right around 20 or so minutes before her next dose of medicine is due. She's holding up rather well, though.

Around the incision is puffy today but isn't really bad, and the incision itself looks nice and neat and not at all red.

When should we let her up to walk around? (Well, other than going outside to potty, I mean. We carry her to the yard but let her walk to do her business.) She's hobbling a little in the house, but we've been confining her to a limited area just bigger than her crate.

I'm glad she's doing better. It will be slow but I'm sure she'll be all better in no time.

I would not let her walk on it at this point. That is major surgery. I am sure she is holding it up as she goes, but even so, I wouldn't let her hop around more than going potty. No reason to aggravate it and cause more pain. When you go to your next vet visit he/she will tell you how much to let her start using it. We had to SLOWLY hand walk Max for a long time to get him to actually put his leg down and use it.

The muscles have to attatch back in a way that they don't normally. They are going to make a false joint. You want to give her body time to do that. Please talk further with your vet if you aren'y sure.

You really need to talk to the vet about whatshe can and cannot do... Vets will give different answers including people on the boards.

I did not have a dog that had FHO but she had TPLO on her knee. She was only allowed a few very short walks per day for a couple weeks.

Talk to the vets and get an answer...