BC Boards
Withzia

Zia Tries Water Searching

Yesterday Zia trained for water searching for the first time. First we just gave the dogs a chance to try riding on the pontoon boat:

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

114032.jpg

"You can say what you like, but I still have serious doubts about this."

114034.jpg

"See you around--I'm outta here."

114044.jpg

"Oh no--no escape!"

114049.jpg

"And I thought you were my friend..."

b_114104.jpg

"I guess she doesn't realize it, but we're getting further and further away from land."

114243.jpg

After every dog had a chance at a boat-ride, they watched the diver put on all his scary scuba gear and wade into the water so they'd know there was someone to look for out there. Zia always gets upset when she sees someone wade into deeper water, so you can imagine how she whimpered and howled as the driver gradually disappeared:

"Come back! Come back! Don't do something crazy!"

b_115654.jpg

Then each dog went out again to find the diver:

"What? You're taking off my collar and giving me the search command while I have to sit here on this scary floating object? This is seriously weird."

122017.jpg

"Okay, now I'm catching the scent of that weird-looking guy. This is starting to make sense. If only she wouldn't keep making us go in circles--is she supposed to be doing that?"

b_122108.jpg

In spite of all her doubts Zia was unanimously voted the star of the new dogs. She started barking desperately on the shore once the first dogs went out on the boat for their searches and she realized what was happening. Once on the boat for her search, she caught the scent very quickly, and gave a very obvious alert, whining like mad. She was very pleased when the diver popped up and came over to greet her. I didn't have the heart to tell her that will never happen on a real water search.

Wow! Water searching! I never knew there was such a thing. kelpiegirl is right. The captions were perfect! And your neck of the woods is beautiful!!

OMG, wonderful shots and captions! It was fun to watch her progress. Cool, so very cool.

Not to mention Zia is absolutely gorgeous!

Oh, how lovely. She did just great didn't she ! We envy you. Please keep us updated on her progress. We are interested in SAR. ( My Dylan LOVES going on boats. I have no idea why but he just jumps right on in like he knows what he is doing.)

Thanks to all for the kind comments! Zia is always the most motivated dog on our county's search-dog team. (Big surprise--she's also the only border collie.) If only she had a handler who was better at reading her alerts and at navigation....

Our neck of the woods is Grand County, Colorado, just to the southwest of Rocky Mountain National Park. These shots were actually less spectacular than most of our scenery around here.

Great story and it looks like fun. Your pup is a b&w prick eared version of mine....but mine LOVES TO SWIM. What association puts that on? I'd like to see if they offer that training in our area. It would be PERFECT for us! Thanks for sharing.

Our neck of the woods is Grand County, Colorado, just to the southwest of Rocky Mountain National Park. These shots were actually less spectacular than most of our scenery around here.

Note to self.....List this as one of the places/areas to go when DH & I take a driving vacation.

What association puts that on? I'd like to see if they offer that training in our area. It would be PERFECT for us!

You can try contacting your local Search and Rescue group to see if they're aware of any search-dog teams in the area. (The Sheriff's Department might also know.) Alternatively you can try Google.

One hitch might be that most (or maybe all) search-dog teams will only do training if the handler is serious about training their dog to participate in searches. Our group is pretty flexible, but we do require the handler have that intention and we want the dog to be no older than two. (In order to make sure that the couple of years of training pays off in years and years of searching.)

That's very cool- she looks more nervous in the boat pictures than she did in the helicopter ones! What a cool thing to be able to learn with your dog.

Grand County! OMG were you on Grand Lake?! That is one of my favorite places in the world! We would drive up from Boulder during the summer and spend a week in one of the rent-a cabins! I am so envious! ---Gotta ask, were you there when the home made tank was erm... out and about?

Grand County! OMG were you on Grand Lake?! That is one of my favorite places in the world! We would drive up from Boulder during the summer and spend a week in one of the rent-a cabins! I am so envious! ---Gotta ask, were you there when the home made tank was erm... out and about?

The water training was actually on Lake Granby.

We weren't around for the bulldozer incident, but you see the guy in the wetsuit (the diver) in the photos above? He was the first law enforcement officer on the scene, and found himself exchanging fire with the guy in the 'dozer.