BC Boards

Really bad day

So...

Early this morning Mom took Eilidh to the vet to get her right leg checked out...she's limping on it pretty badly. Doc gave Mom some pain pills. Duramax, or something. I can't find much info on it on Google. 100mg tablets - 20 of them.

Mom came home...Eilidh went to her kennel to go to sleep...and Mom put the pills in her purse (they were in a paper envelope) on the kitchen counter.

Sometime between when Mom went outside to check the horses and coming in to take dinner to my grandfather (about 20 minutes), Recon got into the purse and ate the pills.

Mom called me at 6:00 this evening to tell me what happened, so I immediately talked to my manager (I work at PetSmart) and he called our Banfield vet...who told me to give her peroxide to make her vomit. We did it, she didn't vomit, mom gave her more....and she wasn't budging.

Long story short, we ended up taking her to the Emergency Vet. They made her vomit and $120 later we left. My manager let me leave work to meet Mom at the vet, which was incredibly wonderful of him.

Of course, by the time we got there, some of the stuff had obviously entered her system. They counted the pills that came up and found most of them, apparently, but she still got a pretty strong dose. So for a while she was all groggy and then...wow. She was hyper as hell.

For the most part she seems normal now. Well, she's still hyper...like a border collie on a high dose of some hyper-pill...but at least she's alive. And the bill wasn't horrible.

I was so so so so scared for a while there, and I'm still watching her very closely. Recon is my heart, and though I know every day that I love her dearly, this really reminded me how very much I adore this dog.

Wow, that's scarry!!!

I know first hand how terrifying is to find out your dog ate a bunch of pills. Ouzo ate about 20 or so pills of aspirin last June or July. Our e-vet + regular vet adventure ended up being about $800-850. This after "barganing" for some of the estimates at the e-vet.

This morning I had another scare, when I woke up to hear Ouzo chewing on something that sounded like hard plastic. I flew out of bed to find him with an empty pill bottle betwen his paws. Luckily it was an empty one which I left on the dining room table (I had finished taking some antibiotics a few days ago ). I have to be extra careful, since he seems to be proned to abusing medication :rolleyes:

Glad Recon is fine. That's the most important thing. That, and learning that a child-proof plastic pill bottle does not equate BC-proof. Hope Eilidh is getting better, too!

Totally agree with you about the "child proof" thing. I had run out of my own pills and picked them up that day and took a dose and fell asleep only to wake up and see Usher chewing on the bottle. OMG........I freaked out and RAN to the medicine cabinet only to find out he was chewing on the empty bottle. I KNEW I wouldn't be that stupid to leave pills out, but I still almost had a heart attack thinking that would be enough to kill several people let alone one dog.

Yeah, i'm super glad she's ok. Our vet, though, gave my Mom the pills in a little paper envelope instead of a bottle. Next time, they're going in the glass jars that we reserve for treats. On the top shelf. Really far back.

She's sleeping on top of my feet right now. Soooo glad she's finally settled down some. Still worried, though, and I keep staring at her watching her breathe. It was awful. I never want to go through that again.

I bet this really bonds you even closer. I had a steer that got into the grain shed, ok, I left the door open. Poor T-Bone, got bloated and we had to call the vet who put a tube down his throat that went on forever (our neighbors were there looking at his rear end waiting for it to come out- :rolleyes: ) That night I spent the night in the barn sleeping on top of him, next to him, and we spooned -LOL. He was fine the next day, but after 4 years my ex finally had to tell me "You can't have a 1200 pd steer as a pet"

Oh no- we couldn't eat him- really, he ate corn dogs, pizza and drank apple juice from a can, came when you called him. But on a farm, you really can't have a non-reproducing animal there. So, he went to the auction on ex-hubby's request and I cried until I got the check. I knew then not to get attached to males. Well, as far as farm animal's goes.

I really am so glad she's ok. Mistakes happen. Just like with kids. That's why they call them mistakes. PLUS, you learn from them. Also a plus.

Your post made me smile, Bo Peep. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent in some stall spooned up to a horse.

Aerie, I'm glad he's ok. Very scary.

I believe the drug is "Deramax" or possibly "Deramaxx" if you want to look it up.

It's become a fairly common strong pain med to be given to dogs. glad she's ok - always scary when dogs get into pills.

I'm sure glad everything is ok now. That's scary. I know, you do seem to take them for granted after a while. You seem to love them that much more when something happens.

Yeah, wow a hyped up BC? I bet that was funny. "all I saw was dust!!" :rolleyes:

I was so happy that she was ok that I completely didn't mind her inability to settle down. She's always energetic (she IS a border collie, after all), but it's generally manageable and she always settles to sleep when I sit down somewhere. Yesterday - and all last night - she was just -everywhere-. Nonstop. Bouncing and squeaking toys and running up and down the stairs and pouncing on the other dogs and really just acting like a total nut.

Thanks for the spelling, Rosanne. I'll do a google on it in a bit - right after I get some sleep. Work was horrid today and my Recon was feeling clingy (and so was I...and I soooo do not mind!) so we've been taking a walk - so my feet are double tired and i'm about ready to just drop.

MAN am I glad that she's calm today. Do you have any idea how many times I picked up toys off the floor yesterday evening? Goodness, she knows how to make a mess.