BC Boards

Sigh...they just don't get it....

I work in a very dog friendly office - most of the people here have dogs and we often spend time chatting about training techniques/challenges or quirky things our dogs do.

Yesterday we were swapping quirky dogs stories and I told them about the Great Cupcake Caper with Dublin figuring out that he had to move the chair over to the counter to get to the cupcakes as well as the Eggcident episode with Dublin smuggling the egg into the living room and attempting to bury it in his bed. We were chuckling over that when another co-worker (who can be a bit snooty) said something along the lines of "I don't understand why you think that is amusing - they were misbehaving plain and simple. My Sam [her goldendoodle] would never dream of doing such things." I just looked at her and said very calmly, "You're right - and that is why I would never want your dog. To each their own."

I like the quirky things Dublin does - if I wanted a robot dog I would have gotten one. I wanted a dog that could actually think for himself, though. Yes, it can be frustrating at times but I wouldn't trade Dublin for all of the "perfectly behaved, wouldn't dream of doing it" dogs in the world!

I agree with you. I like the weird things that Tiga does, even if the things like counter surfing are frustrating sometimes, it still amuses me to tell the story now. I don't want a robot dog either. I love that BC's can think for themselves.

You're so right! These dogs are such a sad sight :D .

Of course I'm grateful for Kessie's obedience. I can actually call her off while she's chasing rabbits; what a luxury! Life with her is extremely easy compared to some of the dogs I know.

But these things are not what I tell people about her when I'm having a brag :rolleyes: .

:eek: at the Cupcake Caper! I don't think I've heard that one before. What a genius!

I agree with you all, too. My boy's a mix, but I still wouldn't trade all his "quirks" for the world. In fact, he may just have me hooked on border collies for life! :rolleyes:

I just love a dog with attitude and intelligence. Even my lab mix is like that. She's most likely mixed with sighthound, and I love her stubborn independence, even when she's giving me fits on the agility course!

I've met people like that online too. I really try to laugh at the things the dogs do, because really - what else can you do? It wouldn't be healthy to freak out about every little thing. I know Zeeke has done some things that were dangerous - and AT THE TIME I was freaking out. But after I knew he was safe and I stopped hyperventilating, I was able to look back and say OMG, that was funny. But man to some people not take kindly to laughing at things! I've heard all the same "Instead of laughing, what about training him/her?" "I can't believe you're laughing about that, what kind of dog owner are you?"

Sheesh. It takes all types, I guess.

i know what you mean!

take tikki for example, if he were a robot dog he would do everything i asked and then wait for the next instruction.....

as he isnt a robot dog, he will generally do whatever i ask of him, but still have the intelligence to drag his blankie out of his crate to infront of the heater when he is chilly so he doesnt have to lie on the nasty wood floor!

at least i assume it is him that drags the blankie out, either that or brighid does it then he blags the comfy spot!

[her goldendoodle]would never dream of doing such things
Of course not. I wouldn't expect that from hers or any other "goldendoodle" for that matter either.

Border collies have spoiled me for other breeds. You're right. Others just don't get it.

Guest JoeysMom

Ditto! Just yesterday I commented that it is unlikely that I will ever have a dog that isn't a BC. Joey is just so smart, clever, creative, etc... I guess once you go BC, you never go back! :rolleyes:

Haha. Just the other day I was talking to my Dad and Stepmom... I was asking them if something were to happen to me and Chuck if they would take Ginger. They smiled hugely and said YES, and then looked relieved. I asked why, and my Stepmom replied, "I was afraid you were going to ask me to take one of the Border Collies... thank you for offering me Ginger." :rolleyes:

Bandit intelegence and free thinking makes me chuckle alot. He is never ready to end his walk and go home.If we are about a block from home, He stops and starts scratching himself.(stalling) He thinks I might change my mind and not go home.

I never owned a b.c. before chena came into my life, and I will tell you all, I have had a few dogs... but never, never one as smart as this breed. She pick up on just about everything! last month I was caring for a friends dog for ten days, well, this dog, liked to run away from our yard, all Chena had to do is listen to my calling the dog, and she picked up on my anxiety, went after the dog, and brought him home. she has never had any training of that sort either. Like the other writer wrote, I will never have any other dog other than a b.c. Chena and I have such a bond, and she gives me more eye contact that many people I know!

there is a saying I like: If your border Collie thinks you are the greatest, Don't get a second opinion!

I never owned a b.c. before chena came into my life, and I will tell you all, I have had a few dogs... but never, never one as smart as this breed. She pick up on just about everything! last month I was caring for a friends dog for ten days, well, this dog, liked to run away from our yard, all Chena had to do is listen to my calling the dog, and she picked up on my anxiety, went after the dog, and brought him home. she has never had any training of that sort either. Like the other writer wrote, I will never have any other dog other than a b.c. Chena and I have such a bond, and she gives me more eye contact that many people I know!

there is a saying I like: If your border Collie thinks you are the greatest, Don't get a second opinion!

Good grief! These are probly the same people who couldn't laugh when they got up at 7am, pregnant, and finding their 4yr. old trying to make chocolate milk with plain cocoa, and finding 8 glasses in the sink cuz it didn't taste right! They probly didn't have a kid even do that. Jeeze! If it wasn't for the shenanagins Jackson did, he would be boring! I love to see the things he comes up with! Like after the 15th or so time of catching the frizbee, running with it to the doggie door and going in. Then you see him pushing the frizbee just outside the door. Then when you say fine, and go up the stairs to get it, quick as a wink, he grabs it back inside! I swear you can hear him chuckling inside!

She is probly just a boring person, leading a boring life!

I love the creative thinking too! Don't get me wrong; I love my girls to be obedient. However, when Sydney decorated my upstairs with bathroom garbage (decorated and didn't eat any), I laughed. And when she opened here crate (twice) by herself and greeted me at the door when I got home, I cheered.

~Kelly :rolleyes:

Hmmm, what's that saying that dog's and their people look alike! Well, maybe in this case they "think", or NOT, alike too!!! Ha Ha Ha!

I can't imagine how dull and boring my life would be without my very clever K-9's!!

And Phoenix is only 17 mos, he has some big paws to fill after my 1st BC boy, Wolf, and by golly he is doing a fine job so far. He just has to learn to be a little "sneak-ier", suppose that comes with age!

He is such a good boy, but even BC's have gotta be a dog once in awhile...

He makes me laugh even when I don't want to!