BC Boards

The origin of your username/display name

My name is Martha Sundquist. A girls camp I have gone to and volunteered at for all my life has the kids call us by bird names, to avoid the formality of having to call Mrs. or Mr. allowing us to be on a different level with the children, but still an authority. So, I chose Marty a derivation of the purple martin. I didn't think I would respond to hootowl or some such name. So I married a swede and the last name is really pretty long and I found it easier to mark casseroles and such with a SQ and folks pretty much know what it stands for.

I used to go by ptpt2 all the time, physical therapy and plants with a 2 for good measure. We changed internet servers and I was unable to access my account... so I started completely over and have used the MartySQ ever since. ( with a web email as opposed to an ISP one.)

PS...Oh, and it took me 5 times through Chemistry 101 to get my passing grade..never took it in high school...no one told me I ought to. Not a chemist... I am persistent though!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Martha Sundquist. A girls camp I have gone to and volunteered at for all my life has the kids call us by bird names, to avoid the formality of having to call Mrs. or Mr. allowing us to be on a different level with the children, but still an authority. So, I chose Marty a derivation of the purple martin. I didn't think I would respond to hootowl or some such name. So I married a swede and the last name is really pretty long and I found it easier to mark casseroles and such with a SQ and folks pretty much know what it stands for.

I used to go by ptpt2 all the time, physical therapy and plants with a 2 for good measure. We changed internet servers and I was unable to access my account... so I started completely over and have used the MartySQ ever since. ( with a web email as opposed to an ISP one.)

PS...Oh, and it took me 5 times through Chemistry 101 to get my passing grade..never took it in high school...no one told me I ought to. Not a chemist... I am persistent though!

So you are a PT? I am an OT.

:rolleyes:

I think this board was one of the first I ever signed up on - just had Maggie at the time, so I became MaggieDog. On most boards I'm Stardog (or stardogs or stardog85) because I think of all my dogs as stars (it's also become my "kennel name" for their agility registrations lol). :rolleyes:

Smithydog pays homage to the Smithfield Sheepdog. My Mattie shares a lot of the same qualities affiliated with the Tasmanian Smithfield breed (looks, working style, attitude, gait,etc).

I took a lot of chemistry and biology in college, but ultimately ended up with an Anthropology degree with a concentration in medical anthro / epidemiology.

Well, I suppose mine is boring and rather unimaginative. :D

Seems like I always use my initials for anything that requires some sort of recognition.

On the other hand, with a name like mine and living where I do, not many every forget it.

Good, bad or indifferent! :D:rolleyes:

Well, I suppose mine is boring and rather unimaginative. :D

Seems like I always use my initials for anything that requires some sort of recognition.

On the other hand, with a name like mine and living where I do, not many every forget it.

Good, bad or indifferent! :D:rolleyes:

Aren't you Goose on another board?

Years ago when I was trying to come up with a "kennel" name and "farm" name--if you can call one Border Collie and a dream a "kennel" or a "farm"! :rolleyes:--I wanted something Gaelic, or at least Celtic, in tribute to my Irish heritage and the Border Collie's Scottish (borders) origins. However, the spelling and pronunciation in Irish and Scottish Gaelic are pretty confusing, and besides, I hardly know anything about the languages anyway, so I figured it would be more sensible to settle for something Anglicized.

I've also got a casual interest in the King Arthur legend, and when I learned that one of the locations of King Arthur's court is called "Kelliwic," it seemed to immediately fit what I was looking for. In my opinion it has a Celtic "flavor" to it, but it's pronounced basically phonetically. Some sites say that Kelliwic/Celliwig translates as forest grove (which I like the idea of), though from what language never seems to be mentioned; Welsh or Cornish, I assume. I also liked having an Arthurian connection without an overt Camelot reference, since Camelot is pretty commonly used in dogs and especially in horses.

I get called "Kelli" sometimes on message boards and somewhat more often in email by folks who don't know me, which I find a little odd, because I sign my posts or emails either via sigfile or manually, but more than a few people have done it, so it's not just one person who may have zoned out while typing.

When I first joined we only had JJ & Jake. Because they are both males........

I had no intention of getting a 3rd dog. I even told myself if for some reason we got a 3rd dog, HE was going to be a r & w split face rough coat. Then we failed fostering.

Because Josie is now part of our family and my last name is Backer whenever I join other boards my user name is BackerBunch. Not very imaginative, I know, but it works for us. And it leave me open in case we ever get a 4th dog. Not that I'm planning on it of course but you never know what the future holds.

When I first joined we only had JJ & Jake. Because they are both males........

I had no intention of getting a 3rd dog. I even told myself if for some reason we got a 3rd dog, HE was going to be a r & w split face rough coat. Then we failed fostering.

Because Josie is now part of our family and my last name is Backer whenever I join other boards my user name is BackerBunch. Not very imaginative, I know, but it works for us. And it leave me open in case we ever get a 4th dog. Not that I'm planning on it of course but you never know what the future holds.

I am also a foster fail with Sinead. Although, honestly, the second she was delivered to me, I knew she'd be a foster fail. I mean, hell, she was obviously not even what I was told she was when I clicked on her listing. She had been listed as a GSD/APBT mix. She is clearly just an APBT. And I swear, personality wise, she is the clone of the GSD/APBT mix I grew up with (also happened to be the nicest dog ever).

But yeah, I signed up on pit bull chat under Sinead's Mom as my username. Then realized it's totally not a fur mommy board, but once I started posting they realized I just had a fur mommy name, and don't act as one.

• 3 weeks later...

The name Andale comes from two places, the Speedy Gonzalez cartoon (Andale, andale! Arriba, arriba!), and a burrito restaurant in Los Gatos, CA. The word andale generally translates into "lets go!" or "go on" or "get up and go!."

I named my Border Collie Speedy when he was a pup, hoping that he would turn into an awesome fast agility dog. He is very fast, we're working on the awesome.

We got a black and white tuxedo kitten, Scotty, who found out he could "herd " the border collie, so we called him the Border Cat and Buster became Tuxedodog. When Scotty was a kitten, it was kinda cute when he would intercept the dog and chase him back to the family room, now that Scotty is 14lbs, we do intervene when he decides the dog isn't allowed somewhere. Scotty, and Random, our Maine Coon (who will rub on the dog's face excessively) know the meaning of "leave the dog alone" .

post-7560-1284136247_thumb.jpg

I'm a PhD student in Zoology and I study amphibians (frogs).

In the past couple of years, since adopting Kit, I've become somewhat obsessed with dogs.

Just thought Frogs and Dogs was cute, since it rhymes. On another forum, I'm GottaLuvMutts, but that didn't seem to make much sense on a breed-specific forum like this.