BC Boards

how do i get her to play w/ new toys?

So the only toys Skip has ever taken too and played with have been a tug-of-war rope, and a silky soft stuffed toy. Wanting her to be more active I went to PetSmart and bought a Bad Cuz and a Chuck-It Flying Squirrel. So far, I'm the only one having fun.

The Cuz she only notices because it makes noise, but she has no idea what to do with it (doesn't even seem interested in finding out, either).

The Squirrel is slightly different. First couple of times I threw it she ran after it and then stared at it. Then she'd only go after it if I ran towards it and acted all excited. But that was more of, "Chase the mommy!"

So, is playing with things like these a learned behavior, or instinctive? Can she learn to chase a ball or go after the frisbee like Squirrel, and if so, how do I teach her?

Mine didn't play with tennis balls till 4-5 months old. I physically showed her how to chase balls and eventually she got the idea and now she'd do pretty much anything for a tennis ball.

Have you tried a toy on a rope? Most dogs like the chase so if you tie a toy on a string/rope and drag it as you run away from her, you might be able to get her prey instinct out more. You can also try putting food in a toy and let it hunt. Once a dog gets the idea, I usually put the toys away where she can see it - it's a tease. I play for a short period of time and put it away.

I had to teach Lily the concept of play at 4 months, it really suprised me. Things that worked were teasing in the magic fun spot between their front legs, its hard to explain but ever dog I have ever known this works with. I had a hollow soccer ball looking thing, put two rawhids in it, so she wanted to get at them, then played keep away soccer style. Then little by little we are still learning to play.

Now she doesn't have the biggest ball drive, so YMMV.

She's around five years old now. The string and ball is a really good idea. I'm gunna go try that.

I had to teach Black Jack how to play since now one had ever taken the time to play with him. He's 2 yrs now. What I did is take a tennis ball or frisbee and hold it up until he looks at it. Then move it side to side until he watches it or moves his eyes with it. BC's love things that move side to side :D Then slowly start throwing it once he seems to want to get it.

The other thing you can try is laying on the ground (I prefer grass :rolleyes: ) stick you butt in the air and put the toy in between your arms. Then just kind of play with him until he wants the toy.

Hope that helps. I took Black Jack a few days to even want to chase it, and even longer to fetch. So it will take time. Good luck.

when ceana was little we used golf balls to play with instead of tennis balls (this was not on purpose, she found one and since then every golf ball is hers lol) Regular balls were just too big for her comfort level. we started off by rolling and then she would chase... now anything you throw... including laundry.... must be caught