BC Boards

question about cuddling?

This might be a strange question here, but with all the border collies I've had. None.......I mean none-have had a desire to cuddle. Maybe it was because I acquired them so close together and the alpha dog just wasn't "into it" but this new pup I have has GOT to be next to me all the time. This is a new thing I'm not used to. I didn't mind the other dogs sleeping on the bed because they were at the foot of the bed, but this lug has taken to sleeping on my neck.

Now, I always wanted a cuddle dog, but this is bringing it waaaaaaaay close to home. Usually he only gets one night a week with me on the bed- probably a true luxury to him or he's in his crate. He's less than 6 months old. Does he have a mother complex? LMAO- I love a snugly dog but this guy is sleeping right on top of me & also laying on my neck and the whole night is "get the heck off" & back to the crate for you. I might remind you that this is a service dog and I DO want to remain close to this dog, but believe me, even though he's beautiful and has a hairy chest, I DON'T want this kind of action in bed. It's the constant chew toys, the fetching at 3 AM. I guess I answered my own questions and it's back to the crate, but the thing is ...........I'm wobbly in the morning and need him there. So what's a gal to do. I'm used to females, is that the male thing?

I had one rescue male that adored me, I thought it would be best to get a male. This guy maybe just needs another BC. The only time I lived with just one was when they all died off-so sad- maybe I should have gotten a female.

A week after bringing Jackson home(9wks) he broke his hind leg. Worried we would hurt him, I put him on the top of my pillows, at the top of my head. He is 2yrs. old and weighs 41lbs. and he STILL tries to crawl up there! LOL But, he usually only stays 20min or so. Skip is way more cuddly than Jackson. Jackson will only cuddle at bedtime, and then for just a bit. Skip, who is 8mos. will cuddle all night, morning, afternoon, he don't care! They are both males, so I don't know.

ETA: Skip also likes to lay his head across my neck! But, I don't mind so I never have tried to get him to stop!

thanks Dixie- the only problem i have is my dystonia is in my neck- darn dog. The others I had were more "working dogs" kenneled at night and only let out to exercise and work sheep. This is "pet territory" I am crossing boundaries here.

Maybe the dog "knows" the dystonia is in my neck. Heck, lots of weird things could happen. It's my first "cuddlier". I just didn't think border collies were like that. My others were so "indifferent"

Thanks for your reply!!!

Of my two pups my male is VERY cuddly.

He has to be beside me, with at least one part of his body touching mine at all times.(Lol..It just kills him when I take a shower!)

I don't mind. That's what dogs are for right? No wonder they are so good for our blood pressure!! :rolleyes:

My two are both mixs, but my male wants to cuddle all day. and would cuddle all night but I don't like being licked all night long :rolleyes:

My female on the other hand is not a cuddler until night time. and will only cuddle me (at night in bed) and my friend from the bark park.

We've had Meg for 2 1/2 years, and although she has always loved petting, she wouldn't cuddle. I've been calling her up onto the bed for pets for a while, but she always jumped right down until a week or so ago. When she was on the bed, I told her to down and she did, and stayed all night!

Since then, she has become a super cuddler. She wants to go to bed early, and spends all night pressed up against my back.

It's very interesting to me that it took her so long to realize that it is OK to cuddle...

Allie, my almost 2 yr. old female BC, is the world-champion snuggler and hugger. We truly have to peel her off -- whenever we sit down, lay on the bed, etc. She LOVES to be close and even if she can't quite reach, she puts a paw on you or lays her head on you. She does not discriminate -- she snuggles/cuddles with anyone or everyone who will let her.

We've trained her "off" (which was a necessity in her case), and she minds extremely well, but this dog is just our little "Love Dog". :rolleyes:

No cuddling from my Ouzo :rolleyes::D He just wants to play. And play. And play. Sometimes sleep. Then play. When he lays next to me on the bed or couch I'm one happy girl, thinking this is cuddling, so I pull him closer, then he gets pi**ed off and gets down on the carpet and most probably comes back with a ball or toy: PLAY!!!! :D

lol Happy is not a cuddler, doesnt even like to be petted most of the time. for Happy, she she chooses to cuddle with you, consider yourself special because she must REALLY like you, she cuddles with me occasionally, and she has only cuddled with 2 other people in her 6 years of life, and thats my mom, and another lady we know that was going to buy Happy before we found her, had her husband not said no.

Misty however...she is a cuddler and a velcro dog, drives me nuts, I mean I try to teach her distance commands and I give the command while she is at a distance..she she hears the commands runs to me at top speed and proceedes to preform the command on top of my feet. when sleeping she prefers to be touching me at all times, someone matter where or how much so long as some part of her is making contact with some part of me.

Black Jack is a 2yr. old Male BC and he likes to be close to me but not really cuddle. He loves to lay on the couch or bed, but he doesn't have to be right by me all the time. Sometimes if he gets tired of laying there he'll go and get a toy to play with.

My girl Zoe is a cuddler. Not as velcro as some of yours... on the bed she's very picky about when she cuddles. She likes playing and cuddling (all at the same time) but to sleep she picks the farthest corner. And if disturbed she'll get off the bed. o.O

Zeeke is my only male dog, GSD, but he's definitely not a cuddler. He will snuggle with his daddy for a good scritch, but he's much more interested in playing and at the very least laying at your feet protectively.

Oreo was never much of a cuddler. She's more of the "hi, how are ya, thanks for the cookie, I'm gonna go lay down now" type. I would wake up every morning with either a nose or a butt in my face (back when I was single and shared the bed with her and not a hubby!). She'd "allow" me to cuddle her and kiss her nose, but you could tell she only did it for my sake. :rolleyes: Then she'd find her own space.

I do have a problem with a certain pet climbing on my face at night... but that's the damn cat. We have to lock him out of the bedroom or neither one of us can get any sleep because we have a cat purring in our face, laying all over our chest and neck, tickling us with his whiskers!

Badger is alovely cuddler, he will cuddle for quite some time then decide, well i've given cuddles so now she will play with me, and pulls away to fetch a toy, but when he has had a busy day he will cuddle all night. My old Roony who isnt with me anymore, he hated to be cuddled,you could almost hear him thinking, oh i'll put up with this for a few seconds then run for it :D when he was 17 he changed and would cuddle all night on the bed :rolleyes:

Buzz is quite the cuddler. : )

He sleeps in his crate, but we cuddle on couch. If he is trying to cuddle with me and I need space, I just ask him to go to his blanket, which is on "his" end of the couch. Maybe you could train your pup to go to a small blanket and put the blanket at your feet on the bed?

I was down stairs today resting from my cold and I had Black Jack down with me watching tv. Well I was playing ball with him, but I dozed off, about five minutes later I guess I got woke up with a butt sitting on my face! I guess he got tired of me getting sleep and him not getting to play. lol. Then ten minutes later he fell asleep beside me on my pillow :rolleyes:

How can you get mad though? It's kind of funny thinking about it now.

My 6-1/2 month old male BC is probably the cuddliest dog I have. I've been pretty surprised by it, actually. He's still crated at night, but when I let him nap with me he's plastered up against me as close as he can get. Just about roasts me out of the bed, actually. When he's old enough not to be silly at night he'll get a cushy dog bed in our bedroom with the rest of the dogs.

Anyway, I'm with you about back in the crate, simply because you need your rest too. I'm wondering if your pup could be crated right next to you so it would be easy to just reach over and let him out in the AM so he can help you?

Thank you for all your replies. Usher has calmed down a bit and GROWN, but still thinks he is a lap dog. Now that he's learning some more commands like "off" and he has his own chair with the command "couch potato" he is working out much better. He's still crated at night. Although I love this dog, it's like kids. I am anxious for bedtime. HIS- not mine. I do love it when he lays back to back with me, but laying right on top of me is something we are working on. Thank you for your support and tips- they are working.

My male BC is about 6 months old and NOT a cuddler. He's really playfull and friendly but when he's laying down to rest he doesn't want to be bothered. He prefers to lay by himself and will get up and move away if you try to cuddle him, or he'll just tolerate it at most.

• 12 years later...

Our 9 month old female BC mix will fight for all she is worth if I want to snuggle with her (she is soooo cute I can’t stand it! Lol)

One night when I was HEAVILY distressed about something’s our family was dealing with though Rosie seemed to know even though I was not making noise or any other tip offs and she just walked across the bed and laid her muzzle on my chest (was very comforting : )

Other than that she will sleep sometimes at the back of my pillow but if you pet or disturb her (even a “good girl” & ear scratch! she will relocate). However she does like to stay in contact with my wife or me even if just a paw on one of us .
Still don’t understand all of it (think the stray cat gets more cuddling lol)but she greets me every morning with a nose bump or kiss (“Get up Daddy!”) either way we love her greatly & if she just wants her own room I can respect that : )

9DD11FE9-BA6A-4D82-94B7-789B5E68BA42.jpeg

EED2ADAD-378C-4E6A-B06A-1AE7C97FEFDE.jpeg