BC Boards

Rune is growing up.

I typically do NOT interfere when another dog is humping my dog. Unless they were a puppy and too young to do anything about it, I always left it up to them to get tired of it, tell the dog off, wriggle out and run off to get way and do something else.

Rune always took the run for something else path. Until recently.

We met up with a 5 month old puppy named Gus, who is two weeks short of being fixed...and he loves to hump EVERYTHING. (We affectionately dubbed him 'Sir Humpalot.') Well, Gus went for humping Rune. The first two times, she pulled the run for something else move. The third time she turned around and snapped at him and knocked him off. by the sixth time, she would whirl around, snap at his flank until he rolled over, grab the scruff of his neck and hold it until he went still, let go an walk away.

I was impressed, and I said not a word to discourage her, or to praise her. Gus never yelped, nor did Rune ever leave a mark on him. Rune continued to do this every time he'd hump her from that point on...and thats as far as she would take it. The owners of Gus thought it was great. I was just impressed my dog was growing up, and that at 8 months, she could show a 5 month old puppy what was appreciated, and what was not, the correct way without hurting him, and still turn around an play with him. (Gus wasn't afraid of her, by the end of all this, but he wouldn't hump her anymore.)

Bigger dogs, and dogs older than her, she still runs from and finds something else to do to avoid the humping. Which, I'm glad for. And I praise her for ignoring the rude behavior of other dogs. But I'm glad I can rely on her to teach a rude puppy the right way to behave, without worrying about her hurting it.

Speaking of humping! Until recently Bandit has never tryed humping anything. He now loves playing with a snoopy stuffed animal he pulled off the self. He liked playing with it so much, I gave it to him. Only problem, if it is a problem, He occasionally will begin huming it. I don't know if I should discurage it or take it away. I once said no and he stopped.

I honestly believe he learned humping about a week ago at dog park. There is a beagle/rat terier mix named Ned who is always trying to hump Bandit and other dogs male or female. Even the ground! Ned is fixed, as is Bandit.

I'm going to dog park today. I'm hoping Bandit will not try humping another dog. He never has so far.

That sounds great... probably a good idea to let Rune tell the pup to cut it out or the pup will try it with the wrong dog. (Like Oreo. She never hurt another dog, but boy, if anyone tried humping her.... I wouldn't want to be the other dog in that situation. It would have seriously offended her!) Way to go Rune!