BC Boards

Calluses?

So I may be picking up a foster this week assuming his vet check goes well. I was wondering though, he appears to have calluses on his hocks - they look just like those you might see on the elbows of a dog lying on hard surfaces a lot but they're right over the hock joint instead. Any idea of how a dog might get these and/or how to soften them up?

This is probably going to sound stupid i have no experience or knowledge in this area with dogs- just skin in general, but what about that utter cream they sell at the walgreens and grocery stores? Ceana's pads became really dry in the winter in CO and started to hurt her so I put lotion on them before we went out in the snow and she stopped having the problem. Calluses are dry often rubbed skin so I imagine the utter cream may work.

She didn't lick it off when you put it on? I'll have to try that.

I have a dog who tends to slide alot on his hocks when he runs & changes directions quickly. It started as bloody scrapes & I used to clean and tend to it daily. That got old so I just made sure nothing got infected & let calluses build up. So, now he has very callused hocks, but it is not a problem.

Softening them up might make him look better, but depending on what caused them in the first place, they may just return.

gail

This may sound silly but if the callouses are not interfering in any way I would leave them

alone. They are a way of protecting the skin... kinda like being on the working end of a shovel...

do it day in day out and you have callouses... do it once in a blue moon and you have blisters.

Goodness knows I've earned everyone of mine on the delicate hands I have :rolleyes:... I just took

up with a farrier 'cause his hands are rougher than mine!!!

Tara

These are acutally not all THAT uncommon and are generally a consequence of a dog laying on hard surfaces a lot. They're more common in dogs that have thin or short coat, and in dogs who have been crated a lot or who may be "down" a lot....old arthritic dogs, for instance, or ones who lay for long periods.

Typically a callus will thin over time if the "need" for it goes away... for instance, if the foster dog has been excessively crated, but in your hands he is not, the callus tends to regress. However, if he keeps laying down a lot, or otherwise traumatizes the area, they'll typically presist. Unless they are troubling him or the skin looks abnormal, you can probably leave them alone. You can always have your vet have a look.

Psst Sweet Ceana.... "udder". :rolleyes::D:D