BC Boards

My feeling are hurt a bit from sheepy hollow

Beleive it or not a man had the nerve to say to me Maddie was a nice looking puppy a real sweetie and then asked about her pedigree I started to answer he said never heard of them and turned away from me and stopped talking. As though I suddenly became invisible.

Dal is going there to have his eyes checked tomorrow but, it hurts when people are rude about his looks. (Sort of the man you have one ugly baby feeling). I'm almost afraid to take him.

sorry if I sound Like a whiney butt but, it sort of helps to tell someone.

Ehh, don't let it bother you- people do this sort of thing all the time at events- they have things on their mind, and sometimes they start a conversation and then, well, forget what they were doing. I get annoyed at that too, but have learned not to start conversations at trials- lest I get tweaked when really no harm was meant

Like water off a duck's back I say.

Julie

You will find snotty folks every where you go. Don't let some person with no manners get you down. You love your dogs, do what you can, teach them no matte what. Weather or not they are up to someone else's standards or not is of no consequence. They may or may not take the herding world by storm. If they do great if not every one still had fun. That is what it should be no matter what we do.

I have been in the animal world for years. Horses, dogs, cats, show rabbits, show chickens lots of different venues. Have friends who breed Burmese cats. Another Italian Grey hounds. Well you get my drift. My point is that straight across the board there is a certain element in EVERY animal group there are those who think certain pedigrees are better. That some sheep are better than others. That a Persian cat is soooooo much better than a Siamese. While individual tastes vary, the creepy folks in the animal world never vary in type. If they are self important, snotty and rude it could be in any group. You didn't run in to anybody exclusive to the sheep herding world .

And the snobbery goes both ways, I had a very well bred Doberman absolutely beautiful dog, from a show, top winning kennel of the day. She HATED the show ring. she was sold as an obedience dog. I bought her from a client of mine and she was then a pet. This guy was rude to me, about back yard bred dogs, that I should make sure she was spayed and that only the very best should be bred, and proceeded to name off my bitches sire as a good example of the best. I just looked at him and said, "oh I'm glad you like my dogs daddy, I think he has great pups too" . My dog was spayed because her temperament was faulty, she hated the show ring and ultimately was diagnosed with Wobblers. Yeah we should only breed that dogs get.

My belabored point is enjoy your self, and continue to seek out the nice people , believe me there really are more of those than the jerks. Give you and your dogs the experiences that will make you all happy. If herding clicks for you, wonderful if not maybe being a spectator is what you will want to do. It's how I enjoy my dogs, and herding. Finances have made it hard for me to pursue what I would really like to do. But I meet nice folks and get to see wonderful dogs work. I avoid the rest

Andrea D.

I had a well known sport/conformation breeder actually take a step backwards from my undersized, bat eared Border collie when I told her that no, she wasn't a Border Jack (which would have been OK with her), she was purebred. I think she was afraid on some instinctive level that my dog would contaminate her!

I just laughed at it, though I filed away the incident as a good example of how setting such a high value on appearance tends to breed snobbery. I'd actually have been more uncomfortable if she had been complimentary, though that would have been a merely knee-jerk snobbish reaction on my own part. Sort of reverse snobbery - and I hope I would have squashed it! :rolleyes:

So, I'm not sure of the context for this story. Is your pup homebred, or sport bred, or imported - I'm not sure why this guy would have been so abrupt. Did he think your pup was AKC? Or the opposite - was he an AKC guy and being snobby at homebred names? Either could be true at a trial - trials are truly "open" and people from all sides of the ACK question are there.

ETA: You don't actually have to answer. I'm just being idly curious when I should be cleaning the kitchen and getting dinner together. :D

It was funny I had Dals papers there to show someone and they got passed around and people were very compimentary on his breeding. They knew this person or that.

Mom said last year some elderly man told her "We used to hit the white pups over the head when they were born" so I guess lines arent everything to consider.lol

Thanks for making me feel a bit better.

Possibly my reply to that question is tell me your pedigree first.lol

Possibly my reply to that question is tell me your pedigree first.lol
Oh, dear, you won't like the answer to that question. My great-greats on one side were royalty, which I normally don't like to brag on, but . . .Wait, do you mean me or my dogs? :rolleyes:

Hey, I got royalty on Daddy's side. Well, ok, they were royal PITAs!

Sheryl, don't worry about it! The only one you really gotta worry about what they think of your dog is the one in the judges stand while you run your dog!

Remember, don't sweat the petty stuff!

And for goodness sakes, don't pet the sweaty stuff!

I've been known to get distracted at sheepdog trials when something interesting is happening on the trial field....a dog I like is up, a wreck, a fellow friend/handler is up, someone asked me to watch a certain dog.....perhaps I might drift away in the middle of a conversation too.

Or perhaps, suddenly mid-sentence, I realize I'm going to be late for my run....it's happened.

Anyway, don't take it personally. It might not have anything to do with your dog, the quality of your dog or its breeding. Most likely, it had nothing to do with you and the man didn't realize he was being rude...even tho' he was.

I had a similiar weird experience this week.

Tex, as you all know is blind and when he walks he just chugs along using his nose and his feet to find his way.

I was out with little Loki and a neighbour came to the roads edge to ask about the new dog. While we were chatting, her husband came up and said "You must hit those dogs!"

I was floored, where would anyone get that idea?

Authority that he was, he proceeded to explain to me that he's always had dogs and he knows that a beaten dog carries his tail really low.

Loki has a nasty break in his tail and carries it low. Tex carries low because he's concentrating on where he's going. This horrible neighbour said that seeing my new white dog was all the proof he needed to be sure I was a crappy owner. I just walked away but I think I walked an extra few km's just to calm my nerves. Some people, sheesh.

What a jerk that guy was!!! After you took two challeneged dogs and gave them a great life, he has the nerve to acuse you of not beeing a fit owner... Jeez... I hope you won't ever talk to that moron again...

You know what I'd do. Look around on the board, find as many pic's as you can of our BC's with their tail tucked down during a run or in play (concentrating on sheep, a ball or something similar :rolleyes: , and print them out. Then stuff it in their mailbox with a note. . . ."Gee, I guess all of these dogs are beaten and abused too. MORON!"

I've lived here little over a year now and I rarely see this old couple outside. He's just a grumpy old coot who's a bully. Every town has to have their old grouch - there should be a sign at the entrance to town. "3499 nice people and 1 miserable old monster live here" - something like that.

I have been looking at the tails of every dog I see and yes, I did go through the Gallery and look at tails.

I've only ever spoken to this man once. Last winter, he stopped his car and told me off for not wearing a hat. Apparently, he's an expert on frostbite too

I get REALLY mad at people when they start laughing at Lucie and call her fat, sometimes I have even found myself the people who say those things to my poor baby, "I wonder how you would look if you took 200mg of Prednisone and Azathioprine, you'd blow up too." Then, when those same people realize how sweet Lucie is, I don't let them pet her!!!