BC Boards

Congratulations to Diane and Tess

airbear

Congratulations (and Happy Birthday!) to Tess and Diane Pagel, on winning the Skagit Valley Highland Games stockdog trial this weekend. Tess laid down an absolutely spectacular run, and returned immediately back to the handler's area for more snuggling. :rolleyes: Hard to believe Tess is 9!

Congratulations (and Happy Birthday!) to Tess and Diane Pagel, on winning the Skagit Valley Highland Games stockdog trial this weekend. Tess laid down an absolutely spectacular run, and returned immediately back to the handler's area for more snuggling. :rolleyes: Hard to believe Tess is 9!

woohoo.gif

Congratulations Tess! Way to go Diane!

Thanks, airbear. :D

We had such a blast. Tess ran her heart out for me. It was a very tough course. The sheep had SUPER HEAVY draws and we had to do 2 figure eights in the course but the dog had to be on the non-draw side so the sheep would bolt back. I had Tess hold them really tight to the panel, sheep scraping the panels on the turns and when the sheep did bust, Tess was one heck of a dog to put them back on the course to win. If the sheep hit the fence, then you were DQ and the sheep would run crazy to the fence and try to jump over so needless to say if you DID NOT stop your dog clear on the farthest side of the arena, you were DQ. I had 2 DQs with Roo and Scott. Toss in the several Bagpipes bands playing 20 feet behind us at full volume made the runs even harder.

Tess was on the money and made it look so easy. Whew, I am so glad I have such a talented partner! At the pen, the sheep were in an awkward spot, any command I would give Tess, the sheep would squirt to the other way. Once around the pen, I looked at Tess and whispered "pen them" and she did the rest. Without a command from me, she worked them in and all I had to do was close the gate. Her head would move one inch and an ear would flick and the sheep would move, then she would lean to the other side about a few degrees and the sheep would move, then forward with the nose and then tilt to the left....there was NO WAY I could give any commands for her to do that. She did the course in record time, over a minute ahead of the 2nd place dog.

I was so proud of her at the pen....those years of he penning the sheep while I bumbered about like an useless appendage helped. Her command at hme is "pen them" and she does what it takes to pen them

On a side note: Kristi is now Roo and Tess's personal groomer. I never knew there were so many tricks to grooming!! And Kristi is my personal shopper....she helped me spend my money at the Games.

The trial was fun but tough. There were very tough handlers who were there. The Canadian showed up in force and as usual were the life of the party. Long live Canada!!

Diane and Tess (the wonder dog!!)...who by the way is Canadian bred.....

Congratulations to Tess and Diane! What a challenging course and a wonderful run! Thank you for giving us the details so we could picture it in our minds.

Best wishes!

Tess knew she did well...you could see it in her eyes after her run. Then it was snuggling in my lap, upside down for belly rubs and a snooze. Plus a share of my shepherds pie.

Jeff got home a few minutes after I did. He was camping and I called him on the road to tell him about Tess. His friends arrived with him and he was parading the Winners Plaque to his friends and telling them how *HIS DOG* won a trial. Tess was by his side, staring adoringly in his eyes while he fussed over her. They both ignored me while I unloaded the van.

Want to laugh until your sides jurt....then hang out with Kristi...gosh, she is such a wit and cute to boot!!

I get to see thise fun Canadians in about a month.....at another trial.

Diane

• 2 weeks later...