BC Boards

Condom for dogs

I was watching 'war dogs' on Fox yesterday and they were talking about how soldiers used condoms on dog's paws to protect them from salt water. I thought what a great idea! I don't know how durable it would be but if dogs cut their pads or the ground was nasty when we are on search, that could be used as quick protection. I've used plastic bags, vet wrap, baby socks but I think I am going to have to go buy some (that would be the worst part) and add them to my gear! :rolleyes:

Has anyone used it before or heard of this?

I have never heard of people using them for paws. But it sounds like it would work.

Now that's thinking outside the box :rolleyes:

Now that's thinking outside the box :rolleyes:

*rim-shot* :D

I don't know why it would hurt to try. I have used cardboard tampax tubes up against tendons inside wraps.

Necessity is the mother of invention, right?

Consumer Reports did testing on various brands and I guess all stood up pretty well to the pressure tests and such - sounds like a creative solution. Of course you may get some STRANGE looks lol.

I got to thinking about this and special forces use condoms on the end of their guns to keep water/dirt out of the barrel.

It's strange, but hey if it works use it.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

OT but reminds me of the time a team mate of mine took a soccer ball to the face and we stopped her bloody nose with a tampon till we could get her to a doc.

INU, lol ! There are 23 people reading this thread as I post my reply ! I would like to know which war we are talking about. This is going to sound bizarre, but I watched a documentary a long time ago. I can't remember if it was a first or second world war vet talking about his experiences. But he still had THE condom ( in an old shoebox ), that he used. Yes, he only had one. He showed it. Didn't say how many times he used it, but it was pretty thick and looked kind of durable. Are you talking about modern condoms - and did they show these dogs in action ? Or are you talking about history ? I'd really like to know ! LOL.

And Freckles..... your friend must have a pretty big nose LOL !

Zoe, it was a documentary show by Oliver North on WWII I think. They didn't have any footage, just some photos. I tried to find it online but they didn't have it posted yet.

I'm going to try it after I get them in the mail. Thanks for the link RaisinRiver. :rolleyes:

Just make sure they aren't too tight and therefore putting too much pressure/cutting circulation. I know they're stretchy and all, but they I'd still check often for signs of swelling above where the condom stops. I also imagine yu'd want a baby sock or something underneath too keep toenails from poking through.

Raising River,

The items you're referring to are called finger "cots."

J.

OT but reminds me of the time a team mate of mine took a soccer ball to the face and we stopped her bloody nose with a tampon till we could get her to a doc.

LOL. On prom night there was football playing at 2-3ish in the morning. They wrapped a glow in the dark condom on the football so they could see it. :rolleyes:

Too tight would be amazing.. we had a health ed teacher put a regular sized condom over his head, with straws popped through into his nose... and he wore it all day. It wasn't too tight around his throat LOL. He did it to show that when guys say "they don't fit" that they are full of it hehe... not just to walk around with a condom on his head all day. (Although.. that would be kind of funny) :rolleyes: