BC Boards

First Annual West Coast BC Picnic and Romping Good Time...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LJS1993
There's me in Sonoma County. I just can't drive to Oregon by myself, and Hubby won't want to come. Maybe we could do a Northern CA thing, I know there's a few more of us. Anywhere within maybe 3 hrs I'm up for, but not till Sept.

Ruth

I think there are quite a few of us Californians. Shoresdog was thinking of setting up an Ocean Beach meetup down in San Diego. However Ocean Beach is so darn busy right now it's ridiculous. It would be cool though to have some huge Border Collie invasion at some beach.

I just booked the Fireside for Saturday the 11th since I'll be bringing my people family too (2 adults, 3 kids ages 8-11 total). We'll spend Saturday at the beach ourselves and then meet up with you guys on Sunday, Aug 12. Maybe meeting on the beach in front of the hotel would be a good rendezvous point?

I read that dogs are to be on leash along the beach? Is that a hard-fast rule? Will we all be ok off leash? I really try to avoid fines. :rolleyes:

I'm planning on going Saturday night as well and I'll probably stay at the Fireside, though I haven't quite ruled out camping.

As far as beaches, meeting spots, and leashes, I don't recall there being a beach right in front of the hotel, just a lot of rocky tidepools areas, and the path going along the coast. The path goes about 1/2 mile north to the great beach where I took all the pictures from my last trip. We let our dogs off leash and nobody complained... we actually had quite an audience for the frisbee throwing. We did keep them on leash on the path though, as did everyone else with dogs. I don't think anyone has enough time or money to send anyone to the beach to enforce any sort of leash law, and I have never seen or heard of such a thing happening.

The problem is, I've only been to that beach by walking up the path, so I don't exactly know where the parking lot or anything like that is, and if it's 7 miles long, that's a LOT of beach to leave to chance we'll find each other. Any ideas about a specific meeing spot? I'm at a loss for ideas on that one.

As far as playing with other dogs, I'm very interested to see how this goes for my two. Ling does play with other dogs, but only herding type dogs, at daycare, so I'm excited to see how she does with a group of BCs. Just an advance notice though, at first she acts a little growly and defensive, but she'll run away before anything escalates, she's just a bit prickly at first. That's my main worry with her. Bingo loves all other dogs and will have a great time. However, he does get herded quiet severely by Ling, which we encourage because she keeps him from running off after beach birds. My trainer pointed out how potentially mean it is to take him to his favorite place with MULTIPLE herding dogs! hehehe, dog hell, your favorite place with your nemesis multiplied!!!

Ok, well hopefully we can come up with a good meeting place. I'm not against giving out my cell number so we can meet up, either. Feel free to send a PM to me to coordinate personal info trading.

River will sometimes show Mad Teeth when a dog wants to play with her, esp if they are rambunctious, but she warms up eventually. Sounds like Ling.

Since we're discussing warnings:

Diesel is toy possesive, but not a from the mouth stealer - but will race to get to the thrown toy first and will take possession via intimidation and snarling if he's close enough. He has been in brawls but only the ones with River had teeth marks. I tend to just keep tabs on him so he doesn't get himself in trouble (we get practice at the dog park).

ETA: Oh yeah, he doesn't care about soccer balls at all, hehe. Only small balls and frisbees or anything that squeaks.

We booked a room at the Fireside last night as well...sounded like they were getting full (no ocean views left...)

I'm also not sure if there's beach access to the north of the motel...so, it might make sense to meet in front of the motel and go from there. The dogs can get used to being in the vicinity of one another while on leash, and then it's party time when we hit the beach... A possible landmark, just barely north of the motel, is a small overlook with a bench and quarter-operated binoculars-thing. Can't miss it.

We're still getting to know Ollie, at 6 months old...however, his experiences with other dogs have been 100% positive while off leash, and 60% positive on leash. He's slightly fearful/submissive...although not inappropriately so for a puppy I don't think...but he's been a bit reactive on leash with some dogs. We're working on that. Anyway, I don't anticipate any issues, unless the energetic teenager thing is a trigger for someone else.

alright so Sunday.... meet near the hotel and figure out from there?

what time should we all meet up?

OK- didn't feel like reading 3 pages. Can someone send me the details via e-mail or what-ever. LOL. A romp on the beach is something both Usher and I deserve!!! Plus I could visit my OR friends and might bring some other BC's~ hubba hubba.

LOL.

Dianne

I finally decided we'd get there too late on Saturday night (Trevor's a park ranger and works Saturday) to camp, so I made my reservation at the Fireside and go the last pet friendly room available! :rolleyes: Whew. Can't wait to see who else makes it and meet some of the people and dogs from this board... see you there.

Clara

I wanted to post up the summary of events for this weekend, bring your jackets!.

Meeting time/place:

Sunday, August 12

Fireside Motel parking lot @ 11am - look for all the BCs!

http://www.firesidemotel.com/

Confirmed Participants - dogs:

shelb'smum - Shelby

shatchp* - Ollie

clara* - Ling, Bingo

RaisingRiver* - River, Diesel, Jaida

*staying at Fireside on Sat night

Unconfirmed Participants - dogs: (please let me know if you are coming so we can look out/wait for you)

Bo Peep - Usher

ShoresDog - Daisy

borderlicious - Dakota, Eve, Dash, Ripley

Sunday's Weather Forecast:

Mainly sunny. Precip: 10%. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 50s (um... that's beach weather?! eash)

Wind: NNW 11 mph, Max. Humidity: 70%, UV Index: 8, Sunrise: 6:15 AM PT, Sunset: 8:27 PM PT

I think I PM'd everyone listed above with my cell phone number, feel free to PM me back if you want to give me yours too in case we miss meeting up! Let's try to keep this the last post so people can find it easily. PM me for changes and I'll edit this post.

I'll be leaving early Sat morning for Yachats, and I can't find that the hotel has internet... ack! So call my cell on Sat if you need me before Sunday. We'll be the 2 adults with 3 kids under 12 and 3 dogs standing by the largly impressive 15 passenger white Ford van in the parking lot, lol.

I wanted to post up the summary of events for this weekend, bring your jackets!.

Meeting time/place:

Sunday, August 12

shelb'smum - Shelby

shatchp* - Ollie

clara* - Ling, Bingo

Unconfirmed Participants - dogs: (please let me know if you are coming so we can look out/wait for you)

Bo Peep - Usher

ShoresDog - Daisy

Mainly sunny. Precip: 10%. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 50s (um... that's beach weather?! eash)

Wind: NNW 11 mph, Max. Humidity: 70%, UV Index: 8, Sunrise: 6:15 AM PT, Sunset: 8:27 PM PT

I think I PM'd everyone listed above with my cell phone number, feel free to PM me back if you want to give me yours too in case we miss meeting up! Let's try to keep this the last post so people can find it easily. PM me for changes and I'll edit this post.

I'll be leaving early Sat morning for Yachats, and I can't find that the hotel has internet... ack! So call my cell on Sat if you need me before Sunday. We'll be the 2 adults with 3 kids under 12 and 3 dogs standing by the largly impressive 15 passenger white Ford van in the parking lot, lol.

Lance says good luck and you're lucky he cant make it! Lance has a real attitude..

I wanted to post up the summary of events for this weekend, this is the most current post.

Meeting time/place:

Sunday, August 12

shelb'smum - Shelby

shatchp* - Ollie

clara* - Ling, Bingo

ShoresDog - Daisy

Edited: 8/7/07, 8:23am

Trevor and I talked it over last night, and since he has to work until later in the evening Saturday, we've decided to just drive up Sunday morning (it's only 1 1/2 hrs for us). We'll still meet you guys at the Fireside parking lot at 11am, as planned, but we won't be there the night before. Just in case anyone wanted to know who was staying at the hotel.

If something happens and we are running late, I'll call RaisingRiver's cell and just meet you all up at the beach. Shouldn't happen, but I like contigency plans!

I wanted to post up the summary of events for this weekend, this is the most current post.

Meeting time/place:

Sunday, August 12

shelb'smum - Shelby

clara - Ling, Bingo

shatchp* - Ollie

Plenty of sun. Precip: 10%. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 50s (um... that's beach weather?! eash)

Edited: 8/9/07, 3:08pm

Hi all,

I'm sorry, but the gang and I won't be able to make it. :rolleyes: I was unable to arrange transportation -- I don't drive so I was relying on friends or family to pull through for me, which they didn't, and I spent all my potential travel money on vet costs for the puppy's leg.

Sorry RR that it took so long for me to respond. I hope you all have a great time, please take lots of pictures for those of us who were unable to come!

Usher & I really wanted to go, but do to my mom moving up so soon and me having so many things to do I had to pass. Also, my fridge died and I just bought another one and Usher neuter is coming up and that hit the pocket book pretty hard. Sure sounded like fun and really isn't much of a drive and would have been a great way to spend his birthday!! If I could only win the redneck 401K (power ball) :rolleyes:

I just got back from our beach romp, and I'm probably the first home since my drive was shortest. My gang had a blast! Thanks everyone who came! Ling doesn't often have fantastic experiences with other dogs in groups like that, but other than a pretty harmless scuffle with Diesel near the end of the party (my fault), she wasn't very snarky at all. It was really fun to meet those who went, and to finally see the dogs I've been looking at pictures of. There was, of course, lots of running around in the surf, chasing each other and acting like goofballs. And lots of frisbee and tennis balls later on. It actually made me a little dizzy at first when they were all running in circles to try to find my own black and white dogs.

Now I can hardly wait to see the photos, since I was a dork and forgot my camera in the car! :rolleyes: Probably no big loss since I'm not the greatest photographer anyway.

Shelb's mum, sorry I had to leave right after you got there. But my old boy was pretty tuckered and he'll push himself to play way past what's good for him. As it is, he'll be stiff and sore within a few hours from all the romping he did, and I hate to keep him leashed when others are still running free and having fun. So we have to remember our limits now that we've got a ten year old who acts like a two year old!

Maybe next year we can make it a BBQ or afternoon picnic, and if we plan it early even more people will be tempted to come!

I can hardly wait to see the pictures!

We just got home ourselves, probably with the furthest drive, but not by much! Having to sit in 2 hours of traffic for an accident on the highway didn't help matters much.

My dogs had a great time! It was awesome to see them all run around chasing and playing and even freely running into the water. I just love wet dogs! I'm glad I got to meet you all. Diesel had a great time running with Bingo and Ling & then Shelby - my dogs don't let him chase them very often so it was right up his alley.

My DH took photos until his battery ran out and I'll try to muster the energy to post them late tonight in the gallery section.

I'd love to do it again next year!