BC Boards

Dog almost stolen... from our yard!

Hi,

I just got home from a trip to the shopping mall and went inside the house... only to hear my Jack Russell Terrier barking outside a few minutes later. And, what do I see when I come out of the front door???? Some high school kids (two girls approx 14-16 years old) reaching over the fence and picking Wollie up from outside our yard!! When I told them to leave my puppy alone (he was in his puppy pen, seperated from the other dogs, that were going mad but they couldn't get to the kids) they swore at me and told me they could do what they wanted with my dogs if it pleases them - can you believe this!!!! And they weren't 'just playing' - they almost had him over the fence! You can imagine me being upset and worried about the 'kids' being dognapped...

ANY ideas on teaching Wollie not to allow people to touch (or pick him up!) over the fence??? He is such a loving puppy and I don't want him to bite at everyone, but if I can teach him not to go to them or allow strangers to touch him when I'm not with him it could save his life? I didn't want a 'mean looking' dog like a rottie (no affense but I don't think any kids will try to touch them over a fence no matter how lovely they can be!) but I'd like for Wolllie not to get stolen and at least pretend to be mean when they reach over the wall!

Any input from you guys would be much appreciated :rolleyes:

Holy Moly, that is scary. I would move his puppy pen out of reach from those girls (and anyone else for that matter). I would also find out who they are and have a talk with their parents. I don't think you want to teach him to be afraid or defensive of people, that would be a lot to ask of him to tell who is OK and who is not. It's your job to keep him safe, and it will be best for all concerned if he understands that and looks to you for direction and safety.

But I would deal with those kids ....:rolleyes:

I'd say: now that you know this is a very real possibility, it's time to move the dogs in the house when you are not present to watch them. If this is not possible, though I can't imagine why, a locked kennel with a roof is the only way to go.

Teaching him to not allow strangers to touch him is NOT the answer. Keeping your dog safe is a responsibility that belongs to you; Wollie should not be responsible for his own safety. Be grateful you have a social, friendly puppy and keep him that way, but don't let bad people have access to him.

RDM

Thank goodness nothing worse happened!

What I believe you need to do is secure your puppy. That may mean in a crate in the house when you are not able to directly supervise him.

Leaving a dog or dogs (and especially a pup) outside where folks can access them, toss them goodies (or baddies), open the gate and let them loose, or steal them is just asking for trouble (in spite of the fact that you SHOULD be able to leave your dogs in an otherwise safe environment - but it's just a fact of life that you can't). Properly secured outside kennels offer some protection (and are a necessity for some people and circumstances) but they still allow folks to possibly contact, feed, or release your dogs.

So, get a crate and keep that pup inside when you can't be directly supervising. I would suggest the same for all your other dogs, unless they are safe being left uncrated inside.

Since you can't depend on others to do the right thing, you need to be proactive and do it yourself. Thank goodness your other dog alerted you and you checked things out. Another time, you and your pup (or dogs) might not be so lucky.

We just made the wall higher now with pointy fencing... Wollie can't get to the sharp edges but I don't think anyone will be sticking their arms over it anymore! I had no idea that ppl will actually take your pet from your yard! There hasn't been any dognappings here that I know of... maybe it's just kids being bad since its school holidays here now - they don't even live near here as far as I know! All the neigbours have either no kids or little children...

Anyhow, he's safely inside now and will be until we can move his pen to a safer location and put the JRT on patrol there - btw she doesn't allow ANY arms over the fence... it's the way she's been since always, since the neigbour's kids (on the other side - but they're moved away now) have teased her since she was a pup, but I don't want to teach Wollie to be snapping or snarling at everyone at all!

Thanks for the nice words of sympathy - I really got a shock!

PS - the other 2 dogs (esp the JRT) wont allow anyone inside the yard without us being there and the gates are locked

He will only too soon grow into a protective watchdog. But for now enjoy him as the sweet, friendly puppy that he is.

Just never leave your dogs unattended. I've never been a fan of leaving dogs outside alone in the yard any how. Especially this day and age. You can't trust ANYONE!

I wouldn't leave the dogs alone in the kennel for a while. When I was a vet tech we used to get a fair number of poisonings and most stemmed from neighbor disputes. Kids can be mean and if they think you insulted them they may get more bold next time (not that you can get bolder than taking a puppy out of someone's yard :rolleyes: ) and take the dog while your gone. I've had to chase off kids for terrorizing penned dogs by jabbing them with sticks, throwing rocks, yelling at them. So for peace of mind I would just keep the pup inside or move them closer to the house and as far away from the fence as possible.

Guest LJS1993

Watch your dogs very carefully. I deal with kids within that age group all the time. Trust me, the days of the good old innocent little Timmy or Mary Jane are over now. Those girls will be back, so be very vigilant.

Guest WoobiesMom

Oh no! That's terrible! They sell "dummy" surveillance cameras. Maybe mount that in a conspicuous spot along with a sign that says something like "Premises monitored 24 hours by camera", along with some electric fencing also. The witches might try to poison your other dogs to get at the one they want if they're really rotten. I second all the advice to keep them in when you're not home. They also sell a notification system (can't think of the name now) that allows you to hear a bell when someone crosses your driveway, maybe something like that near the entrance to your house would be helpful too.

So sorry! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have a dog outside without me unless I live on a well insulated (as in hundreds of yards, multiple fences, and visual barriers between my dogs and strangers) country lot or an a farm. In the city - no way! Those kids will be back, and what they can't reach they'll either torment or hurt. And if your other dogs chomp on the kids as they deserve you'll only be sued for having dangerous animals.

Locks don't cut it either. People I know gave up after 3 puppies - each one was removed neatly from it's locked outdoor kennel with a pair of bolt cutters. 2 purebred Aussies, then a Dalmation. Some other friends have nailed the neighborhood kids for picking on their dogs through the fence, finally building a 6 foot privacy fence. Now they have BB holes in the fences from the kids shooting at it and the dogs still can't be outside alone - despite $10k in fencing.

Wow, that experience would have made me feel totally assaulted. Your sweet little puppy should be encouraged to stay trusting and people friendly. Believe me, you don't want a Border Collie who is aggressive to strangers. As usual RDM's response is pithy and to the point, and I completely agree with it.

wtf is wrong with kids these days

Kids only learn what they see, so its wtf is wrong with adults these days?

I hate to sound like an old timer, but in my school days a whipping at school meant a bigger one at home. If an adult was "wrong" you better be able to prove it solidly, as you were, as the child "guilty until proven innocent".

It wasn't always fun, but it was darn fair, and I sure didn't steal anything. I can't imagine, well yes I could :rolleyes: , if my neighbors came by and said they had to chastise me for pulling their puppy over the fence!

Oh, I think there have always been horrible people and always will be. We're just more crowded these days, so their actions are more noticable. Back in the "good old days", my dad kept our dogs in kennels outside. When I was in 5th grade, I had a Black Lab pup named Pete and he was a bit of a barker. On Halloween, when he was about 1yr old, I came home from school and found him almost dead in his dog house. My mom rushed him to the vet but he died on the way. Needless to say I was hysterical (literally, the only time in my life I came completely unglued) when I found him. The vet determined that he had been fed poisoned meat. So someone either didn't like his barking, or thought it would be a great Halloween trick. Either way, it shaped the way I protect my dogs now that I'm an adult and set the rules at my house.

I agree with everyone who has posted that given the existence of people who WILL hurt or steal animals, you just can't leave them outside unsupervised, even in a secure kennel.

I agree with everyone who has posted that given the existence of people who WILL hurt or steal animals, you just can't leave them outside unsupervised, even in a secure kennel.

agreed. Im sorry but building a higher fence doesnt mean anything, if they want the dog they'll get it if its in a secured locked kennel in a secured locked fence with a Rottie back there.. there are ways to get to it.

Never mind the dummy cameras--I'd get real ones; you can find some cheap enough. And audio, too--just with audio, they must be notified that they are being taped (I don't think that this is as necessary with video--can can video without permission, but can't do audio without permission..I may be wrong on this, but as I recollect, that is how it works).

I also believe those girls will be back, and they may have some unpleasant tricks up their sleeves. I also think that perhaps the dogs shouldn't be out unattended for awhile, just in case. I do live out in the country, and I still don't let my dog out unattended (never mind the fact that she doesn't want to go out without me, unless she has spotted some something to chase).

Good luck; I hope everything works out for you!

If those female delinquents told you that they can do whatever they want with your dogs, for goodness sake don't give them the chance to do do. They'll be back, with older brothers or boyfriends, probably. Keep all the dogs inside unless you are not just home but watching them. And have 911 set on your phone. When these kids return, don't say that someone is bothering your dogs, tell them that someone (give the number) is attacking your home.

I live in a lovely neighborhood of acre lots, professionals (medical and high tech and university types), few kids, and lots of watching out for each other. But our cat is out, in her harness, only when I'm hanging the laundry or taking it in. Was when I gardened, but we let the drought win and didn't plant this spring. Our dog is out with us or, on a line, when we are watching - like doing dishes.

I had a former rescue stolen from the adopter's yard last Thanksgiving just while he was out for a bathroom break, so yes...dogs do get stolen, and not just puppies. Ashen was never seen again. And I've had rocks thrown at one of my dogs when he was younger, and that was WITH my boyfriend standing right there with the dogs on leashes.

You can't trust kids/teenagers to do the "logical" thing or be scared off anymore. Even with keeping Wollie inside, I would be concerned about your other dogs staying out. Like everyone's said, people do some crazy things these days. They might have happened some in the past, but they seem to be ever more prevalent in recent years. Your other dogs might not want anything to do with strangers outside their fence, but they'll most likely eat something if it's tasty enough and thrown inside their fence.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
Kids only learn what they see, so its wtf is wrong with adults these days?

I hate to sound like an old timer, but in my school days a whipping at school meant a bigger one at home. If an adult was "wrong" you better be able to prove it solidly, as you were, as the child "guilty until proven innocent".

It wasn't always fun, but it was darn fair, and I sure didn't steal anything. I can't imagine, well yes I could :rolleyes: , if my neighbors came by and said they had to chastise me for pulling their puppy over the fence!

very true

I think I would contact the local police dept and file a report. Let them follow up. Then God forbid anything happen, it is one file and they will have an idea where to look. In the meantime, glad you raised the fence. Just keep your eyes and ears open.

Yrs ago Grandma had her Pekinese stolen. Oddly enough they took Rusty but not the chichaha (sp). Course, if you picked up Jose he would pass out like he'd had a massive cornary. The only person he didn't pass out on was Grandma. In fact, that is the very reason the vet gave him to her. And yes Grandma's gate was locked.

:rolleyes: In my old age I am not tolerant at all with malicious teenagers. If I knew who the kids were I would do one or two things. First, talk to their parents. Assuming the conversation went well I would stop there. Second, if I wasn't satisfied with that meeting, I would press trespassing charges. The last thing those kids will do is cuss out a judge.