BC Boards

Fourth Of July

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

There have been firework noises for several days, so we've been using benedryl a bit here and there. The serious fireworks started up last night around 7 pm. My town is one of the few in the county that allows fireworks anymore, so a lot of people come here. The other towns are very vigilant - in 2003, something like 4 or 5 homes in a heavily populated area were destroyed by a fire caused by 'safe and sane' fireworks, so people call in and report with vigor.

Sammi got her benedryl when the big noises started and settled down behind the couch. Every time I'd think I could get them outside for one more pee before bedtime another round would start. They all slept through until the alarm went off at 5:30. All in all we did ok. The cats weren't happy at all, though.

Ruth n the BC3

Guest WoobiesMom

Woobie did great, I was so proud!!! When the really loud ones started going off, he just moved under the legs of the recliner I was in and settled. Luckily, they didn't last long either. He was outside doing his business later when some neighbors set off some noisemakers and he didn't bolt or anything, just looked up in curiosity.

:rolleyes: Well, we have had our one year old Bree now for 3 weeks as of today. She was doing great getting used to everything.... until Tuesday. We went outside on the leash so she could do her business and there went the first pop of a firecracker. It scared her and she went straight for the door. I tried to just act normal so she would stay out, but she just layed down and refused to get up. Yesterday was worse. She didn't want to go out at all. I take her out regularly because she's not very good at letting us know she wants to go out. I tried everything. I put on her leash and finally coaxed her out with a treat one time. She laid down. I picked her up and took her into the grass and refused to let her lay down. She did her business. Now this is before all of the big stuff started! We live less than 2 miles from the park where the fireworks were going off. She went into her crate and sometimes came out and laid on the couch beside me. Then she would go back to the crate again.

Now it seems like the back yard is a bad place for her. She's scared to even go out the door. This morning, I acted all happy and excited so she would go out, and when I picked up the leash she ran. I had to pick her up, then put the leash on and carry her outside onto the grass. She peed immediately and wanted back in.

The question is, how long will this last? It's been a trying time for the past three weeks, and now it seems we are starting all over again. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? She is going to her first obedience class next Wednesday.

post-7621-1183646399_thumb.jpg

Guest WoobiesMom

Gordonlvr, I had a similar situation with Woobie just not w/fireworks. He's very afraid of children. Two houses down are a bunch of little kids who play on a playset in the backyard. Woobie hates being outside when he can hear the kids and will often not go out or do his business when they're being especially rambunctious out there. I started by doing things he likes in the back yard (frisbee, tennis ball, chase, etc.) and then when he'd hear them and fling himself against the deck door, I'd keep coaxing him and encouraging him to play, even if it was one more toss of the ball. Then, I'd sit out there on the stairs and encourage him to sit next to me where he'd sniff and watch for the kids. Then I worked on giving him treats for coming down off the deck when the kids were out. He's still not crazy about it but at least now he'll quickly go do his business or play with me if the kids are out. It just takes patience and time.

Bindi did great. I took her for a 5 mile walk earlier in the day so she would be good and tired for the evening. I didn't know how she would respond so I kenneled her for the fireworks. While we were walking though some jackass drove by and dropped a firecracker out of his window just as he passed us. We both jumped pretty high but she settled right down again.

Despite Spokane being a city, where firworks are illegal, people were setting them off for 12 hrs straight!! And they want you to call in everyone...lol. Boy they must have been busy!!

Amazingly, aside from Pepper barking back, I was outside with the dogs, filling the pool for them, and just hanging out in the yard, before we left for the fireworks, and they didn't even bat an eyelash!

We crated them before we left and they did fine. They wanted to play ball when we got back.

Poppy is doing much better too since we have been making him take it easy.

The dogs had a full day out yesterday. First we went and got some coffee and hung out in South Park. There's not a whole lot to recommend South Park except that it's a change of scenery. I took some photos of Solo on the playground equipment with my Holga. We'll see if they turn out interesting or not.

Then we went to the Yerba Buena Gardens and the dogs played in some water fountains (it was pretty hot outside for San Francisco -- maybe, oh, 70 degrees) until we got kicked out because apparently dogs are not allowed in the gardens at all. Lame. It had been forever since we got to play in a fountain. San Francisco is really anal retentive about allowing dogs in fountains. I miss that about Philly -- no one cared if you let your dogs swim in the fountains, even the big fancy ones in front of the Art Museum. I took the dogs there all the time and played ball with them in the water. Cops and park rangers would walk by and smile and say, "It's a great day for that." I really like San Francisco, but compared to Philadelphia it has a huge stick up its butt. I digress. Anyway, the dogs really enjoyed it.

Then, we went up to Fillmore Street and checked out some of the shops that were open.

By this time it was late afternoon so we decided to head home before the noises started. I fed the dogs, made sure they were empty around 7:30 (an hour to dusk) and gave Solo an alprazolam. People started shooting off fireworks at dusk and the big show started around 9:30. It was louder this year than last, don't know why, may have been because there was very little fog or cloud cover, I don't know. After the big show was over, dumbskulls in my neighborhood kept shooting fireworks off until past 3 AM and they were pretty damn loud. Solo got another alprazolam around 10 PM. After his big day out and two happy pills on board he was able to hang out looking mildly perturbed for the most part in his favorite corner (the one I refer to as his "office"). Big booms made him get up and pace a little but he'd do a figure eight and then go back to his corner. As the fireworks tapered off he was able to sleep soundly.

Fly did not notice the fireworks at all, as far as I can tell.

Solo could probably have made it without the alprazolam but I don't see any reason for him to be more scared than he needs to be, especially considering how bad his phobia was back in the day. I consider it a success because he didn't shake so hard that I could see it from across the room, and did not drop half his water weight in drool. I'm glad fireworks are not a regular occurrence here. The next event we have to worry about is probably the annual Blue Angels show.

Yesterday afternoon I was working on the computer and suddenly realised I'd been hearing the neighbours (grrr) set off fireworks for 1. hour. Looked around for Nick & he was slabbed at my feet, like usual. He slept through everything. The mutt dog could care less- no food=who cares?

The horses, however... the yearling ran like crazy for the first few, then he ran just because it was fun. The older mare watches the fireworks. Like the mutt, she's all about food...

As for the humans, well, we stayed home & went to bed before the booming stopped.

Neighbors started with roman candles around 7. OH JOY! Sam was fine with it and kept Libby calm. We promptly put everyone in their crates. Once they were in their crates, I think they went on to sleep cause we never heard another peep out of them. The town fireworks are a mile away and that started at 9 and lasted till 11. So far none have gone off today and amazingly the neighbors haven't decided to shoot their guns off.

Mine had fun! They swam all day in my friend's pool. They did well with the sounds of fireworks. Willow was a bit nervous, but she stayed by me and that seemed to comfort her. Ginger is limping a bit today though, so I'm a little worried. My guess is that while jumping in or climbing out of the pool she hurt it somehow. I checked for cuts or torn pads and there aren't any. If she is still limping by Monday I'll take her to the vet.

You know, they aren't over yet......... It seems they keep going for a week before to a week afterwards. Why oh why, do people spend so much $$$$ on fireworks? I DO have a question- Usher was leashed but when we got home from the big display he saw an "on the ground" thing and went to go-at-it. Now, we all know how BC's act with sprinklers. I'm glad I kept him on his leash, but wondered what he would have done?????? Would he have been attracted to the sparkly burst? Would he have bitten it?

It seems that "most" of you had a pretty good experience. Mine was fun, I had someone to cuddle with on a blanket, Usher was NOT allowed on the blanket, but watched and did quite well. I'm sure we have a few more days of loudness.

Yup. We here in the great state of Utah still have "Pioneer Day" (aka "24th of July") to get through. The day starts with a 4 hr. long parade in downtown SLC in 100 degree temperatures and concludes with massive fireworks displays of all sorts (they used to shoot them off at Liberty Park, but because it's right next to the aviary it caused the birds an awful lot of stress -- so, they moved the display downtown to one of the parking garages). Personal fireworks are also encouraged, which pretty much makes the whole month of July a free-for-all.

Everything is very dry around here and there have been a lot of fires caused, so they are considering a ban -- yeah right.

Bo Peep, I had a dog who LOVED fireworks and had to be physically restrained because he always wanted to chase after the sparkly twirly ground bloom type. Kamp WOULD have caught it, if he could. So, despite the fact that a lot of dogs hate 'em, there are a few . . . . (I would keep Usher leashed around home fireworks. :rolleyes: )

Fergie surprised us. She slept in her chair while neighbors on both sides went wild with fireworks and we watched Capital Fourth, with it's fireworks. In the past, she went bonkers over the TV stuff. Of course, getting her out to pee before bed was a treat - with all the banging.

What shocks me are the local reports of all the dogs missing since panicking during the fireworks. I believe Wake County animal control says the calls about lost dogs are up 70%. Heck, why did these people have the dog where it could bolt if you know it's spooked by loud noises? OK, if it's a puppy or pound dog that you haven't had when there was such noise. But we've been having thunderstorms lately - at least thunder. Wouldn't you notice how the dog reacted? And made plans?