BC Boards

Border Collie Newbie!

Hey everyone!

So I picked up my first BC this past sunday. 10 week old male, tri-colored. My parents have an Aussie, so I am fairly familiar with these types of dogs. That being said, I am totally impressed with my new pal "Tex". It took 2 days to teach him "come" and "sit". He listens to these commands about 80% of the time at this point. He does get easily distracted with his age, which is to be expected. Also, he has only been "bad" in the house one time in the 3 days that I have had him. I almost feel like it's TOO easy so far teaching him things.

-Mike

post-7674-1183605435_thumb.jpg

Guest WoobiesMom

What a doll! Congratulations to you both! I felt the same way with Woobie, he picked things up SO FAST! It was so different from the terrier I had had who was very hard to train and kinda dense by comparison! :rolleyes: Have fun!

Hey Tex (I always wanted to say that :rolleyes:) Welcome to the boards. He looks like such a cute little guy. questions are always welcome, and picture are always welcomed more :D

Thanks everyone!

Tex actually did really well with fireworks lastnight. He didn't get scared at all, which we were happy about considering how skiddish some BCs can be.

One quick question: we were planning on crate training Tex, but he sleeps through the night with no accidents and no whining. Other than at night, there is usually always someone with him to play with him and take him out. I was wondering if I should still consider crate training? I understand that it is the best way to house-break pups, but he seems to be catching along extremely quickly. What are the other advantages to crate training?

What are the other advantages to crate training?

Being able to be quiet in a crate at the vets or groomers, travelling well and contained, somewhere safe when there is too much commotion, if you do dog sports being able to be quietly crated in the truck or in a building....

There are many others....you don't have to use the crate 24/7 but at least make sure they are comfortable in the thing and dont' kick up a fuss...your vet will appreciate it most!

Cynthia

With 10 dogs...9 of which are great in crates...the other one...I should have trained better

One quick question: we were planning on crate training Tex, but he sleeps through the night with no accidents and no whining. Other than at night, there is usually always someone with him to play with him and take him out. I was wondering if I should still consider crate training? I understand that it is the best way to house-break pups, but he seems to be catching along extremely quickly. What are the other advantages to crate training?

I can tell you a pretty important one very much on my mind today--if Tex ever needs to stay at the vet's office without you, he's going to be kenneled. It's much easier on them if they are used to being crated and so do not have to be terrified of that part of it, considering how stressed our animals get just being at the vet at all (nevermind what medical issue brought them there). My dog Taz is at the vet's office right now undergoing an exploratory procedure and I'm worried sick--and very appreciative that I don't have to also worry about him being extra stressed just because he's being kenneled.

ETA: My Sophie Dawg is not crate trained (she's been sort of anti-crate trained, actually). I spend a lot of time at trials, lessons, and working dogs with friends. Because Sophie can't be safely and easily contained, most of the time I have to leave her home alone or hire dog sitters when I'm away over night. It sucks.

Welcome Mike and Tex, what a cute pup! I second what RaisingRiver said about staying consistent with your training, they are fast and smart.... some times tooooooo smart! Have a blast with Tex! and of course, more pictures, please!

ETA: What they said about crate training!

Welcome Mike. Tex sure is a nice-looking pup! We live right outside of Raleigh. There are quite a few from NC who post regularly on this board.

I would also say crate training now would be a good idea for the reasons above, and so if he hits a chewing phase, and you want to go see a movie, like Harry Potter for example :rolleyes: , he'll be safe and sound while you're out.

Welcome! OMG! He is gorgeous! They these guys are smart little cookies. It still amazes me the difference between these guys and other breeds when it comes to learning!!

Welcome!

I second what everyone else says about crate training. Plus... my newest kids (of 4) are just at 14 weeks old and have just discovered the wonderful world of chewing... my other 2 dogs weren't chewers at all...they were happy with their bones and nubbies and didn't destroy anything but these guys *whew* nothing is safe. It's nice to know that if I need a break or when I'm sleeping I won't wake up to newly 'decorated' furniture, clothes or shoes.

Although I live at the other end of NC if there's anything I can do for you let me know!

Ok, great replies about the crate training. The only times I usually go out of town are places that I can take him, but I guess it's better to teach him and not need it, than need it and not teach him. Also, the vet will definitely be less torturous if he's happy in a crate. Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments!

-Mike

Welcome, Mike and Tex! It's true that you'll find these boards a valuable asset in life with Border Collies. :rolleyes: He sounds like a smart little tyke - I look forward to getting to "know" him better!

Hey everyone! We took Tex up to the mountains last weekend and he got to run around with two other Border Collies, which he loved. He is still doing very well in the house and we are currently working on "Shake" and "Down". He got to watch one of the other BC's play ball, which sparked his drive to chase the ball. I can't wait until he's older so we can start him with frisbee. Here's a pic of him resting at the mountain house:

post-7674-1184077570_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I haven't been on the forum in quite a while. I have been busy with school, and of course with Tex. I took some pictures today with the frisbee. He is OBSESSED with the frisbee. As soon as I say the "F word" he freaks out. I am being careful not to throw it so that he is able to jump up and catch it, as I have read that I should wait until he is full grown. So I have just been launching it out and he sprints and brings it back and sets it on my foot. He plays until I stop everytime. I just wanted to share a few pictures. They are attached.

post-7674-1189197510_thumb.jpg

post-7674-1189197541_thumb.jpg

He is very cute! Sounds like the two of you are having a lot of fun. It's nice when they enjoy fetching, because it's so easy to play almost anywhere. Does he have a "stay" yet? If so, you could also play hide-and-seek. Have him stay in one room, hide his frisbee in another room, then call him in to find it. Daisy loves that game.

Oh, My! Tex is gorgeous!

I'm new here, in the last few weeks, with a girl BC about the same age as Tex, by the look of him. Too bad we're so far apart, these two would have a blast together, dragging each other around by the ears.

I've never seen a frisbee like that, and so far, haven't played frisbee with Kaylee, just limited ball... but we are working on the fetch and recall, so we can play outside without too much runaround on my part! She really likes her 'tugs', her rope toys for indoor games. We keep her busy tossing three at once. She'll go find them when she needs to play, and loves to be dragged around the house on the other end of one. We let her 'win' a lot, as a confidence-builder. Hmm, put frisbee on shopping list. We've learned that a cheapo 'smoked' cow hoof will keep her happily gnawing for hours, don't even need another one this week, they are so tough. Is Tex a mouthy little dude, too?

I am delighted, as I'm sure you are, with the fast uptake this little BC is showing, and the silly, playful, and recently, very loving, nature she's been showing. You and I are busy with our BCs, but what else would you rather be doing?

Oh, My! Tex is gorgeous!

I'm new here, in the last few weeks, with a girl BC about the same age as Tex, by the look of him. Too bad we're so far apart, these two would have a blast together, dragging each other around by the ears.

I've never seen a frisbee like that, and so far, haven't played frisbee with Kaylee, just limited ball... but we are working on the fetch and recall, so we can play outside without too much runaround on my part! She really likes her 'tugs', her rope toys for indoor games. We keep her busy tossing three at once. She'll go find them when she needs to play, and loves to be dragged around the house on the other end of one. We let her 'win' a lot, as a confidence-builder. Hmm, put frisbee on shopping list. We've learned that a cheapo 'smoked' cow hoof will keep her happily gnawing for hours, don't even need another one this week, they are so tough. Is Tex a mouthy little dude, too?

I am delighted, as I'm sure you are, with the fast uptake this little BC is showing, and the silly, playful, and recently, very loving, nature she's been showing. You and I are busy with our BCs, but what else would you rather be doing?

Yes, I do make Tex stay sometimes when I throw the frisbee. Then I do "Ready.....Set.....GO!!" He loves it. Tex has a tug rope also, which he loves. Your pup is gorgeous also!