BC Boards

My dog hates her crate

My 6mo puppy has never liked her crate. She doesn't seem to have a need for any "alone" time, and when I put her in she cries, and even peed on a t-shirt of mine I left in there for her (it worked once!) I've fed her in there since we got her (at 4mo., from the pound), always made it a positive thing, etc., ... all the things they tell you to do, but she still HATES it. I have to put her in there when I leave to run errands, since I don't have a safe place to keep her in the house where she wouldn't eat everything. Any suggestions?

Have you tried things that would keep her occupied or distracted? Some suggestions:

- Leave a chew toy in the crate.

- Leave a TV or radio on in the room.

- Freeze some soaked kibble in a Kong and put it in the crate.

If all else fails, have plenty of Simple Green on hand to clean the crate when you come home...

have you ever just hung out with her near the crate, or played near the crate with her? My little girl hated her crate when it was always a 'ok, i have to go, in your crate' type of thing.

Also, is the crate in your bedroom or is she sleeping elsewhere? That can make a big difference if the dog feels separated from you.

I'm by no means an expert...those are just my thoughts. I have 4 dogs and they all love their crates now.

I would spend time with her around her crate. Does she sleep in it by you? Also a Kong does do wonders for a bored puppy in there. Maybe she's just bored and wants to come with you. Since you said she doesn't need any alone time she probably sees it as the place that keeps her from you. Does she cry when your there by it?

When you mentioned eliminating in the crate that immediately sent up to red flags for me - I wonder if she either a.) has the beginnings of separation anxiety or b.) the crate is too big so she's pottying in one corner and sleeping in the other. Since she's a shelter pup, I think a) may be more likely, in which case you have some work ahead of you.

What kind of crate are you using? How is she if you leave her gated in a room while you are elsewhere in the house? Does she ever get any toys in her crate? How long is she typically crated for?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Yes, I've put every toy in there, including her Kong. I tried it last week stuffed with peanutbutter, which she'd never had, thinking she'd go crazy for it. She did - after I came home! lol

In have put her in her crate (wire) while I am home, but she still doesn't like it. She cries if I leave the room. I have thought about a gate, but I know she would jump it, and since she is in recovery from fracturing her knee, I can't risk any jumping. She did sleep in it at night until she hirt her knee, and it went next to my bed. She wasn't thrilled about it, but she would go in with a little nudge. During the day it's in the familyroom where she can be with us. She won't go in on her own accord, and sometimes pees alittle if she thinks she has to go in. She's only peed once in the crate, on my shirt! (think there was a message in that?) :rolleyes:

Maggiedog, I think you're right. It's probably more of a separation anxiety problem. She's usually only crated for a few hours a day, when we're running errands or taking kids to school. It's open to her all day, but she will only go in there to eat (and she used to keep her back legs out and reach for the bowl!)

You just need to keep crating her and do it while you are home. I used to throw treats in the crate periodically as I walked past it. At first, I made sure my dogs knew the treat was going in there. They soon learn to check the crate periodically. Feeding her in the crate is a good thing. Instead of putting the food in the bowl, throw on the floor of the crate (spread out) and once she starts eating walk out of the room (crate door open) and then walk right back in, walk out, walk in, etc...

When you feed a stuffed kong make sure she starts licking on it before you leave.

If you know she does not have to potty, don't give her attention for being noisy in the crate. Many times they whine, they keep whining, the whining gets on your nerves, you talk to dog, they keep whining, you let dog out (terrible circle is created)...

I would also try covering the crate with a blanket or buy a plastic crate. Covering it makes it seem more like a den.

And one thing I do as a last resort for those that won't quit is cover the crate so they can't see, when they whine I bang on pot and pans or if needed I smack the crate. I don't care if a dog likes the crate or not. They just need to learn to live with it without being obnoxious. I will try many things first but I will resort to banging loudly when needed. I never say a word since I don't want them to realize I am making the noise. I know many won't like this idea but it does work many times and like I said it is a last resort after water guns (spraying water at them) and all this is after trying the positive approach. I will still do all the feeding, treats, kongs, toys, etc... in the crate but I will also "make noise" if needed

I would also try covering the crate with a blanket or buy a plastic crate. Covering it makes it seem more like a den.

Good suggestion! If you decide to use a blanket, however, be aware that she may decide to drag the blanket into the cage through the wire and proceed to destroy it. (I learned this through experience...) Another alternative (if you are handy) is to build a cover for 4 sides (top, two sides, and back, leaving the front entry open) from plywood; the dog cannot destroy the cover through the wire of the crate. It is an inexpensive solution, and provides the simulated "den" enivronment. I rigged the unit to allow the back flap to pivot over onto the top (using standard kitchen cabinet hinges), in order to provide air flow when the weather got warm. Eventually, once the dog adapts, you can wean her off the cover; but it will always be available if you need it.

Pepper loves her wire crate... until it's time (in her opinion) to go to bed and the lights are on. She definitely likes it when we drape a sheet over the crate to make it nice and dark for her. Since you say it is a wire crate she may not feel safe enough in there since it isn't denlike.

As the others have said, be prepared for the sheet/blanket or whatever you use to possibly be pulled in and chewed on.

good luck!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Yes, I've put every toy in there, including her Kong. I tried it last week stuffed with peanutbutter, which she'd never had, thinking she'd go crazy for it. She did - after I came home! lol

In have put her in her crate (wire) while I am home, but she still doesn't like it. She cries if I leave the room. I have thought about a gate, but I know she would jump it, and since she is in recovery from fracturing her knee, I can't risk any jumping. She did sleep in it at night until she hirt her knee, and it went next to my bed. She wasn't thrilled about it, but she would go in with a little nudge. During the day it's in the familyroom where she can be with us. She won't go in on her own accord, and sometimes pees alittle if she thinks she has to go in. She's only peed once in the crate, on my shirt! (think there was a message in that?) :rolleyes:

Maggiedog, I think you're right. It's probably more of a separation anxiety problem. She's usually only crated for a few hours a day, when we're running errands or taking kids to school. It's open to her all day, but she will only go in there to eat (and she used to keep her back legs out and reach for the bowl!)

Try a smaller crate, make sure she has had ample opportunity to relieve herself completly, no water in the crate. If she crys, DO NOT take her out. Put the crate in a garage, a car, a barn, ( make sure she can be cool where ever it is) but just put it some where that you cant hear her crys. Leave her there until she is quiet for at least 15 minuets, then, once she is quiet, take her out for a bit. Dogs will pick up on your pheromomes, sencing your uneasyness and anxiety about crating her. She will play on that until she gets her way. The more you take her out of the crate while she is fussing, the harder it will be the next time. When you put her in it, just put her in it, and go away. Dont make a big deal of putting her in it. No coaxing or bribing. Just put her in it. Be very bussiness like, and she will get the message that its no big deal, and you'll be back to let her out soon enough. Dogs by nature are a denning animal and will eventually come to love their crate. I have had some tough pups (BC"s) that didnt cotten to their crates right off, and I thought they would drive me insane with the crying. But if you approach crating with a no none sence, bussiness like approach, and DONT give in. With in a few days, the problem should be over. Some pups that have been allowed out because of thier whinning, may take a litte longer, because they know they got what they wanted by their actions before. Ya just gotta tough it out. Good luck!

Darci is right about the ignoring, but insisting that the dog be quiet for 15 mins before being let out right off the bat is a bit much imo. And why a smaller crate?!

My girl is an exception given her SA issues, but most puppies are similar in that they barkbarkbark bark bark and if you count to ten for quiet and then let them out it still works just as well, and more quickly, than waiting for 15 mins - you gradually increase the time required for release rather than starting at such a long duration.

but just put it some where that you cant hear her crys. Leave her there until she is quiet for at least 15 minuets

I'm a little confused about your advice to the OP here. If she puts the crate somewhere she can't hear the cries, then how will she know when the dog has been quiet for 15 minutes? I think if a person wants to reward quiet behavior, she's going to have to put up with the crying while she waits for the quiet. And I agree with Maggie, at this point, getting 15 minutes of quiet behavior may be shooting too high.

Thanks, again, for all of the suggestions. She seemed a little freaked out about having the sheet on the crate, and while I was at the store she did pull it in and chewed a large hole in the center :rolleyes: , but I'm still trying. She has never been let out when she cries/whines/barks, but that's never stopped her from trying! We're still plugging away at it, and she is checking for the treats during the day (the check and dash method), so there is a little progress. Now that her knee is a littlle better, I'm going to start putting her back in at night (which is good, since she ate my doorstop this morning!)

I am wondering what the lilne is between attachment and separation anxiety? I've never had a dog with separation anxiety before, but Molly follows just me everywhere - one foot out of the room and she's right behind me. Even if my DH is home, she'll cry and look for me for about 15 minutes before settling down. As you know, she hates the crate. I've only adopted one puppy before, who didn't behave this way (he was also a dalmation), and my other dog was an adult husky, so I don't know if this is just Molly or maybe a bigger issue.

Susan Garrett has "crate games" which I can't describe, but believe they're in her book Ruff Love. That isn't a program you'd want to use with this dog, but there are some good games in there. I believe the crate games are supposed to build control and also make the crate a place of high reinforcement. But that's a bit of a guess since I only have a vague recollection of what they are.

Just wanted to share a little victory:

After getting tired of waiting for me to turn in, Molly went into the bedroom on her own. I went in, a minute later, to put her in her crate. After searching around in the dark for a few minutes (DH was asleep), I found her curled up in her crate! Wow! And for the last two days, she has not gotten in willingly, but has not cried or barked in there. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for so many helpful ideas and support!

3Mmom, I've come to realize that certain dogs just don't like being crated up - no matter how pleasant you make it for them... my Golden Retriever has never liked being crated up indoors - no matter what I tried! But, Wollie (BC) loves it to be indoors and doesn't seem to mind when being crated - I just try to leave a chew toy with him or leave a TV/radio on like they've already suggested and he's 100% ok with it... I also think that maybe she had a bad experience at the pound regarding being crated?

I think it's great that she decided to go into it herself - you're getting somewhere and it means she's warming up to the idea of being crated can be a good thing!!! And good luck with it in the future :rolleyes: It really helps having them crate-trained...