BC Boards

Maybe you all can help me.........

My new lil pup is home with us.......red tri BC - -

she is absolutely gorgeous and full of it!!

Before I brought her home I was set on the name Roz - - I still like it - but now knowing her she is one lil hellion at 8 weeks old!! And fast?? Holy Moly - -

I guess what I need is a few opinions - - do you like the name Roz?? I like it but am not completely sold on it - maybe I just need some feedback on it..........

If you don't like it could you help me possibly come up with another name?? Am thinking along the lines of Dash - or Quick or something like that? Or something to do with wildfire - or fire or along those lines? I do want something that is unique and not heard very often.........

I prefer names with one syllable or that can be shortened to one syllable and still sound okay.......for example - Echo is a nice name til you say Eck - then ..........NOT!! LOL

Don't think "Holy Crap She is one lil Firecracker" is a very good name - but it fits!!

Am writing this in the middle of the nite -is 2 dang 30 or somethin- well at least she gave me 3 good hours of sleep!

Thanks in advance for your ideas - I appreciate it - -

Maggie, Tess and the lil Fireball!!

Hi, "Sienna" popped into my head. You could shorten it to "Si" ....!!! Was thinking about colour. Or Akka - that is "red" in Japanese. I'd better stop or there'll be no end to it ! Let us know what you eventually choose.

Warning I've not had my coffee this morning.

At first thought "Fire" sounded good till I thought about you hollaring "Fire". Images of mass panic and Firemen came into my head then.

The name Wicked comes to mind. I think someone here has one named that.

Pita was a name my dh wouldn't let me have. Just in cause you don't know that is computer language for Pain in the ___. I thought it was perfect but Sam turned out to be a good name.

Originally posted by Rainierlass:

Before I brought her home I was set on the name Roz - - I still like it - but now knowing her she is one lil hellion at 8 weeks old!! And fast?? Holy Moly

First, congrats on the baby! Your post brought back the torturous first two weeks with my puppy trying to come up with the perfect BC/Agility name that wasn't a cliche or already on a famous agility dog. I finally gave up on perfect and went with the first name I had considered, Quinn, which seemed to fit.

Anyway, for a red there's Flame, Blaze, Scarlett... I will tell you my semi-crazy theory that names have a lot of power and we should choose our dogs' names carefully. For instance, I named my Lhasa Chili, after a very cool, loan shark character in the book/movie Get Shorty. All I can say now is never name your dog after a gangster. Chili is a thug -- a loveable thug, but a thug nonetheless. I've seen this with other dogs as well, who sort of grow into their names.

Don't feel like you need to rush into a name. Puppy works great in the meantime and you can also try out names, see if they're easy to say and if they fit. For instance, one of the many names I considered for Quinn was Blast (which he really is), but not only does Blast not roll off my tongue, it sounded a lot like Sass and my sheltie, Sassy kept staring at me, no doubt thinking "Oh great. First this awful puppy. Now she's developed a speech impediment." :rolleyes:

The BC museum has a page devoted to BC names

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Perm...t/BC_Names.html

Good luck with the naming and enjoy!

The speed never leaves,all you can do is guide the direction.

As for name I agree with Shetlander,,no need to rush a name onto the pup she'll let you know what to call her soon enough.

Pictures please.

When I was watching the Olympics, there was a skier named Resi, pronounced "Racy". I was thinking it'd make a great BC name, especially for a quick little girl. (I may use it sometime, but there's no new dog in my immediate future).

I guess you could call her "Ray" for short! :rolleyes: LOL

If you like Roz, then stick with it; it doesn't matter what anyone else might think. Personally, I think it is a cute name; and, as you note, it is short, easy to say, and easy for the dog to understand.

Sidebar: "Rosse" and "Rowan" are feminine names from the old Gaelic, and believed to be derived from the word meaning "red".

We have a cat named Sparkle, she was so wild I thought Spark Plug would have been better, but no one else likes that. She has grown into her name well, but can still be Spark or Sparky. I like that SPRK sound for a firecracker animal.

But I also like Roz, that fits for a wild pup or a sophisticated agility star.

Thank you all for your ideas - - I think I have decided to stick with Roz - - after looking up the name (Rosselin - the old french spelling)and seeing that it's meaning is little red-haired one - I knew I had made the right choice and have decided to keep it - - I did like the names Resi (racy), True and Wick - - but I think most of you are right in saying Roz is an easy and fast name to say and most pups tend to grow into their names with time........it will fit a grown dog nicely -

She is settling in really well - - slept 6 1/2 hours on her second nite with only one wake-up call - - so I am pleased - -

Will post pics in the gallery for you all to see the lil devil!!

Thanks again - -

Maggie, Tess, and Roz