BC Boards

Remote control

I hate to even ask guys, but I'm considering using a sling shot to remind Boy that he still has rules to obey.

For those who don't know, I broke my ankle a few weeks ago and have about 5 weeks to go.

I used a slingshot once many, many years ago to pop my teen pup on the butt and please trust me, it was a last resort method, I practiced my aim for days and even shot my friend on the butt with it to gauge how it would feel upon impact. It took two pops and was never needed again.

I do NOT want to inflict pain on my dog. I want to get his attention. Boy knows I can't jump up and he's taking advantage of it.

Do you know what that little stinker did today? It was time to feed the dogs so we put Boy's food (tripe) outside and he ate it. Then we let him in and that little stinker ran straight to the kitchen and grabbed Fynne's tripe off the counter and ran into the crate with it!

He doesn't do that stuff. He doesn't even try. I can leave stuff on the coffee table and he won't touch it. I'm also not in the habit of leaving food on the counters for the dogs to get to.

Well, I've noticed that he's been sniffing the counters (not jumping up) since I broke my ankle, more and more every day. I can call him away no problem but I'm having to do that alot lately and it's becoming less effective. I don't want his behavior to continue.

I'm a natural when it comes to aiming things so I'd just need to shoot a practice target until I'm confident my aim will be true.

What would I use for the projectile if I used the sling shot?

Can you think of any other method that might work instead? I thought of the toy gun thingys that shoot out nerf ball things but I doubt their aim would be accurate at 20'.

Noise is not a good idea with him. He's prone to freaking over noises and I'd rather not have that become an issue.

Is there a remote controlled something or other that I could set up on the counter, then just push a button and startle him? I have no idea what that might be, but that would be nice.

Help?

How about a spray bottle with water? I know when Kit is getting a little rough with the cats or doing something she is not suppose to

I just have to show the bottle and she stops immediately. The vet we adopted her from suggested it. I have heard that it works for cats, but I never thought it would work for a BC.

This is in the house though! :rolleyes: And we have all hardwood floors.

Can you imagine me getting him with the super soaker with me in the living room and him in the kitchen? No thanks! :D

At close range it would be fine, but not at that distance. Thanks though!

My son has a battery operated Uzi-type water gun (like a super soaker) which would be ideal! It makes a rather appalling shooting noise and the water jet travels quite a distance and is quite accurate. (We actually used it on our cat when she was tearing up the carpet at night.) It got to the point that all we had to do was hold it up and she immediately behaved. Toys R' Us and it was around $13. (It puts out some water, but not as much as a super soaker -- its a finer stream.)

I agree with Maralynn and favor the water gun route, but you could also try the Coke can filled with pennies. (That one makes me wince, but our first dog trainer swore by it.)

I wouldn't use the sling shot, unless you are shooting stale marshmallows. Miz, how good is your aim??? :rolleyes:

Hubby says definately no shooting water in the house! :rolleyes:

No pennies in a can or other loud noises either.

I don't think tennis balls would be a good idea because they bounce and might break something. If it wasn't so far away then I could throw something at him. Not marshmallows though! Whose side are you on anyway? :D

My aim is excellent.

You know a noise might just be what you need- you want to get his attention, use a throw can. Yep, I'd use his deepest fears against him.

I think projectiles are a bad idea- if by some freak accident you hurt him, you'll be very sad. Your target is moving and your aim cannot be perfect 100% of the time. Besides, repeated throwing can't be great for your back.

You think I'm joking -- but really, I swear I'm not!! If you must use a sling shot, large stale marshallows are great things to use. They travel further than fresh ones and they won't hurt their target. It's the startle factor, after all, that gets their attention.

The only downside is that some of the varmints actually LIKE marshmallows and Boy might be just the kind to provoke you to get a treat. :rolleyes:

Tell your hubby that if you start out with the water pistol that makes a loud repetitive shooting noise, along with a small stream of water, you soon don't have to use the water at all -- only the pistol (sans H2O) to get their attention. It really works. (I have some hardwood floors, too, and it caused no problem at all.)

Ok, this is going to sound...weird. LoL

I know you don't want to use noises against him, but this is...well, WEIRD enough it just might work. You said remote control, and well, i was thinking...

Have you seen those remote control fart makers? Theres a little black box, with a speaker, and you hold a remote, and press a button, and the black box makes a fart noise....to be truthful it isn't all that realistic, but it just might be strange and creepy enough to back Boy off.

I've seen them at flea markets, joke shops, and the like...

My fear is that with the slingshot you probably will risk hurting him unintentionally. My brother accidently killed a bird that way. There is that concern certainly with any projectile, of course, so keep that in mind.

I've been known to hurl an empty water or soda bottle (the small ones). You can flick one of these with your wrist and little other effort. They're lightweight, won't hurt your floors (or your dog unless you are a major league pitcher). Technically you wouldn't even have to sail it through the air, just bouncing along the floor would likely be enough to get his attention.

I only have used them for hard-headed Bree, and only if I'm not close enough to actually touch her myself if needed, and only if she's blowing off a verbal correction. When you're finished using it to get his attention, he can play with it. :rolleyes: Multi-purpose tool / toy for cheap.

I wouldn't use a water gun - with your luck you would end up slipping on some of the water and break your other ankle! I also wouldn't use a slingshot because even if you have good aim, you can still miss and/or Boy can move and then the shot may end up breaking something.

How about a bean bag - wouldn't hurt him and if it hits something else, it is unlikely to break it...

How about a fly swatter Miz?!?!

I've never had to use it on mine as far as hitting them...just pretty much stuck it up to their noses when they would try and sneak into the trash can or something along that line. Now all I have to do is just put my hand on it or point it towards them no matter how far away I am and they know I mean business.

May not work for you or Boy but its a suggestion. Funny how you can bluff them with certain things.

A small strip of paper folded lenghtwise a few times then folded in half,like a "V" shot from a rubber band in your hand. worked wonders on a very stubborn GSD mutt i once had. By holding my hands close to my body when shooting one off that dog never did figure where those flying things that hit her on the butt came from.

What about an empty water bottle with some change in it? Not as noisy as a shake can, but a noise, easy to throw and will travel. Then, hopefully after a few throws, you could just hold the water bottle up to threaten. As an additional incentive, if he succumbs to the water bottle and comes to you he could get a treat.

Could you work on recall (with really good treats like liver) and call for him anytime he starts trouble? This would work on Scout, but probably not on a less compliant dog.

If the water bottle with some coins in it doesn't work, I would use the shake can. You can tie (soda can with a few coins in it, taped over the open hole), anyway tie with thread or whatever to overtoasted bagel, set it up on the counter and the dog has this very frightening noise chasing him because he stole food. Scout was a BAD food stealer on arrival, we did this once, no more food stealing (of course now he is terrified of bagels, but at least he doesn't steal anymore).

We use the shake can for the very occasional times we put him in a room and then he barks his head off. Sneaking up and shaking the can when he barks means no more barking. (from the other side of the door)

Good luck, a couple of my kids (okay, one) are the same way, taking advantage of me when I'm weak!!

Miz,

How about getting a couple of cheap walkie talkies. Put one on the counter and you can give him a command like "come" when he even looks at something on the counter. My grandkids and I have fun with them all the time, hiding a treat with the walkie talkie and have Kassie find it with our voice. :rolleyes:

If you do use the slingshot, I suggest that you shoot a soft object, like a rubber eraser or a wad of modeling clay. That would get the dogs attention without injuring him.

The only risk of harm to the dog is if you hit him in the eye, and that would be very bad. But if your aim is good and you avoid shooting where the eye is anywhere close to the target area, then you should be okay.

In your situation with hardwood floors, I would not be considering a water gun. You seem hesitant to consider noise. You know your dogs and I don't, but with my dog a noise would be a great deterrent.

You can buy little compressed gas noise horns, intended for bicyclists to use to scare away dogs or alert other drivers. They are small, portable, and not very expensive, and they put out a BIG noise.

Oh, and the guys I work with here have a Nerf Dart gun. The gun holds little foamy darts. I have it on authority that the aim is good even at 20 feet, and the darts are lightweight, and didn't seem to hurt the owners 3 year old son when the guys here shot him repeatedly at close range.

OK, I just tested it on myself, and then had one of the guys shoot me with it. It doesn't hurt. It might sting if you hold it two inches away and shoot it, but at a distance its not uncomfortable, but noticeable.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at Laura's office . . .I'm starting to get the idea that it's an awfully interesting place to work.

I've flung a short length of light chain (such as a choke collar). It doesn't make a huge noise but there's something about the rather long ringing noise that catches their attention effectively. I've used it to break up dog spats that don't respond to a shout.

Failing that, I'd consider putting Boy on an umbilical cord for a while to get his attention focused back on you in general. I had to do the same thing when I was working Ben and Rick after my accident and I was unable to "make my feet do the talking" for almost a year.

Good morning guys! Ok, so it's 1:00 in the afternoon, so what? I had this horrible dream last night. There was this big, white teddy bear on the ground and all of a sudden it started crawling on it's hands and knees. At the same time I heard people walking around upstairs and we don't have an upstairs! I woke up and had hubby comfort me like a little child. I haven't had a nightmare in years. Don't want another one either!

Interesting ideas above! Keep in mind that I am on the couch in the living room and it's about 20' from here to the kitchen counter, maybe slightly less.

I can't throw accurately from that distance.

Laura, what's the impact like from about 20 feet? If the aim is good from that distance and if the impact is enough to startle him then that might work!

If I used a slingshot then I would use a projectile that would not cause any harm. He would eat stale marshmallows but otherwise it would be about the size and firmness I would want. Maybe a bit light, not sure.

An empty water bottle with some coins in it would probably produce a noise that is enough to startle him but not enough to freak him out. I would have to tie a string to it, like a kite string I guess, and throw it. It's certainly something to consider.

I thought about bean bags. It would be nice if they made small ones that I could fling with the sling shot. That would be perfect.

Keep 'em coming...