BC Boards

San Diego Scottish Highlands Sheepdog Trials Day One

ShoresDog

The sun shone on us, the temperatures were mild. A lovely day! But by and large, the sheep won. These experienced little woolies knew that the exhaust pen lay just up the hill, full of their friends, if they could only slip past that dog.

This was Danielle's Chesney on his first trial ever, doing the ranch course. They've been training with Anna Guthrie for just a few months. Chesney had a nice wide outrun:

And here's a slide show of him getting his sheep and bringing them down the hill. Unfortunately, they dart off before being penned.

Chesney on the Ranch Course

Nothing to be embarassed about here. I think Saturday's results were something like Sheep 15, Handlers 5, and that includes the Pro class!!

You guys had so much fun! Chesney's amazing! Good job! Great shots, Jan! Love the one of Ana and Tickle (please excuse me if I got the names wrong - I am refering to the "cuddling" shot :rolleyes: !)

We, too, go to the Highland festivals each time they come to Denver, usually they're held here at the begining of August. But they only have herding "demonstrations", no trials or competitions.

Darn! I would have driven down to see this if I had known. I have yet to watch a trial and this was so close.

The pics and video were great - thanks for sharing.

I thought Chesney looked great, too, and it being his and Danielle's first time. You will wait a long time so see Daisy and me doing this (I'm thinking, h*ll freezes over kind of span?). The park was a lot like Sugarhouse Park. Really large, lots of green lawn. Definitely a fun event!

Here are some more pictures added :D

Anna and Tikkle. "Mom... I still don't see them!"

DSC_0107-2.jpg

Chant Riddle's sister

DSC_0063.jpg

Jan got some cuddle time too

DSC_0015.jpg

Miss Riddle... Sidelined this year :D

DSC_0168-2.jpg

Ad its amazing how just the snap of a picture can capture what looks like total control! hahah

DSC_0033.jpg

But your right... for our first trial being as difficult as this one was... Atleast Chesney brought me sheep. Even if it was at 100mph :rolleyes:

You guys got some great shots! Everyone did a wonderful job. This is a really tough course--really narrow uphill outrun, with sheep who have been there before and know the quick escape route to the exhaust pen, and who take every possible opportunity to use it! Probably 80+% of the dogs, open included, lose their sheep around that darn corner at some point in their runs. But we go back year after year, because in spite of that, it's a really fun event: pipers in the background, a whole booth that sells only shortbread, and, as Jan mentioned, kilt-clad men walking by all day. What could be better? :rolleyes:

Anna

I'm jealous! That looks like such a fun time for all of you.

Congrats, Danielle. You and Chesney did great for your first time out.

Thanks for sharing, Jan and Danielle. Great shots, all of 'em!

A) Why is Riddle sidelined?

Danielle's right--a soft tissue shoulder injury. She has been sitting home watching TV for the past 5 weeks, and is not a happy girl. We started our swim therapy last week, and have one more week to go. She is allowed to resume work on the 4th! Just in time to get ready for the Wyoming cattle trial circuit in early August and setout at Soldier Hollow...

C) When can you get Tikke on a plane to NY Anna?

:rolleyes: Not sure she'd want to go anywhere...the only residual eddect of her "resurrection" is that she is much more attached to me (seems to have some separation anxiety) these days, although she is getting over it gradually. But then again, I'm not sure I could do without her. With Riddle laid up, she's been my #1 dog for all the chores, etc., and has has risen to the occasion and done a great job! I often forget just how young she still is :D

D) Chesney and Handler rock!

Agreed!! :D

Anna