BC Boards

Puppies at the beach?

I was wondering if its alright to take Shadow into shallow water with me at the beach this summer? She will be 10 weeks old when I get her on July 9th. We want to get her used to water early, since we live on an island and will have her at the beach a lot for exercise. She wouldn't be going in alone this year, only with me.

Thanks! Heather

Well from my experience with Holly i think the sooner you take her to the beach the better. Of course you will need to wait until she is fully vaccinated. We took Holly last summer and she wasn't very keen at first and it took quite a bit of time to get her used to the sea. The waves were noisy to a young pup so it made her apprehensive. Anyway after a few trips gradually getting closer to the sea playing ball she got used to it.

She now loves the sea although as you could tell from her on the video when the waves are big and rough she is still a little unsure and will wait until her toy floats back in a bit.

I am know expert mind and as far as i am aware some dogs go straight in but if Shadow is like Holly then the earlier you get them used to it the better.

We kept her on a harness with a long lead up until a few months back when her recall was really good though.

Good luck i am sure you will have heaps of fun like we do. :rolleyes:

I used to take my little pup to the beach every day--at first on a long line and then without once she had a reliable recall. Beware of letting her lap/swallow seawater as the salt in it can give her diarrhea (explosive) or make her throw up. As Samantha said, as long as she's had all her vaccines, there's no reason not to take her--just keep a close eye on her while she's little (hazards like fishing line, trash, dead fish, etc., are to be avoided).

J. aka "The Poser"

We took Charlie to the beach the day after we got him. He was about 11 weeks old at the time. He's been to the beach nearly every weekend since then and LOVES it! Just bring fresh water with you so that he's not tempted to drink the seawater. Usually, all dogs will drink the seawater the first time they go. But, after they have seawater coming out both ends, they usually learn their lesson. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone! This is the response I was hoping for! Can't wait to see how she responds to the waves! As for her shots, its part of her cost from the breeder... puppy, registration, shots and microchip $500 hehe.

As for her shots, its part of her cost from the breeder... puppy, registration, shots and microchip $500 hehe.

The pup won't be able to have all her shots by 10 weeks. The last puppy shot and rabies shot is given once the pup is at least 12 weeks old.

Nancy O

Usually the last set of vaccines are given at the age of at least 12 weeks if not 16 weeks. We prefer 16 weeks at our hospital, so I would say that you would probably be better waiting. Anywhere that there is water, there will be rats so make sure she has had her Lepto vx and has been boostered.

Lepto VX, hrm, never heard of that, I'll have to ask the vet about it. Generally we just use Spectra, just started getting rabies vaccines in my province recently so I'll get that too (never had a confirmed case of rabies in this province). Anything else I should ask her about? Sentinel and Advantix still the best mix? Been awhile since I read up on topicals and pill doses :D Thanks for the info by the way folks, now I need to ask my vet why we do vaccines so early here, and if there are benefits or side effects I need to be weary of!

:rolleyes:

Usually, all dogs will drink the seawater the first time they go. But, after they have seawater coming out both ends, they usually learn their lesson. :rolleyes:

Tell that to Kat! She has this thing about attacking the surf and if I can't keep her occupied doing something else, like swimming after a ball, she will fill herself with salt water--to the point of looking like she swallowed a beach ball, and with bad results later on in the day. :D (Okay, maybe she's just a slow learner....)

J. aka "The Poser"

Holly had her second injection at 10weeks and her microchip then too. We don't have rabies in the UK so unless a dog travels abroad they don't need one. We did opt to have a 3rd parvo jab as recommended by our vet as there were a few cases around the summer before. I think she was allowed out then after 1 week so by 11weeks we could take her out and about but had to be a little careful until she had had her 3rd parvo. Some vets though don't bother with the third parvo jab, we have friends who vet didn't do it.

Maybe it is done a little different here in the UK, i don't know. :rolleyes:

With the second booster I would be confident enough.

Once a vet told me that there are as many different serotipes of Lepto and that the dog vaccines cover so little that to have been vaccinated is guarantee of nothing, that if a dog is highly exposed should be vaccinated with cow shots.

Just got back from taking our other dog to the vet. She still recommends 8 and 10 weeks for shots, its just the way she was taught. Shadow should have both shots done by the time I get her, but my vet said she'll give a 2nd booster if we feel its needed. Shadow war apparently microchipped at 6 weeks also, and I've no idea how to get the right info set up for that, when I was working there the microchipping system hadn't even gotten to my province yet LOL.

EDIT: I checked and Spectro does cover Lepto, just didn't connect "lepto" with its entire name LOL, the heat must have coooked my brain a little :rolleyes:

We brought Polly last year when she was about 4 months and she did well. How did I mess up? I didn't rinse her ears carefully enough and she came home with raging ear infections. By some miracle she didn't get loose stools because she did swallow water while she played in the surf.

So fast forward to this year at the beach:

Ear wash? Check.

Immodium for diarrhea? Check. (Good thing. She made up for no messes last year by having many this year. The immodium was a great help.)

Training lead?

Fold- up travel water dish to bring to surfside? Check.

But...

Polly always attracted attention from grownups and kids when she was playing on the beach. One little girl and boy were playing fetch with her and she was cutting back and forth around them. Polly caught her training lead around the little girl's ankles and brought her down like a calf at a rodeo. :D Thank God we WERE at the beach instead of on a hard surface. The little girl was fine, but how stupid was I? We just aren't around little kids enough to think of everything.

I am still beating myself up for not being more careful. After that, we lined the kids up in a line away from where Polly was running, (familiar to them since at school they spend most of their time in some kind of "taking turns" situation :D ), and all was good.

What fun the dogs have at the beach!! It really is a great surface for them to run on, with plenty of water to cool off with! I really did feel awkward when a crowd would gather... I forget when I spend most of my time in the privacy of our home and park playing with her how very unique these dogs are! The adults wanted to play with Polly as much as the kids. I think Border Collies are ambassadors for friendships, really. :rolleyes:

Have fun!

Charlene

Just thought of something! What about jelly fish? We have around 14 million of them around our province every year, should I worry about stings? Or her playing fetch and bringing me one (thats what our mutt does -.- Shes not the brightest crayon in the box)? I figure if she finds a crab or lobster, it'll be a mistake only made once LOL... I know that from experience as a kid ouch!

Just thought of something! What about jelly fish? We have around 14 million of them around our province every year, should I worry about stings? Or her playing fetch and bringing me one (thats what our mutt does -.- Shes not the brightest crayon in the box)? I figure if she finds a crab or lobster, it'll be a mistake only made once LOL... I know that from experience as a kid ouch!

You must be in PEI .... with jellyfish, the tentacles (sometimes called stingers) are the "dangerous" part. They can still give you a jolt even if they are not attached to the body. Our current BC isn't all that interested in them ... a quick sniff. That's it. They'd be fairly difficult to pick up. I would think any canine would be hard pressed to fetch one for you. Our last BC (she spent 16 years at the beach) was the same ... never paid them any heed save for the occassional sniff. All you can do is be vigilant and warn your dog (with the appropriate command). Any jellyfish stings I've had (at least one a year) never lasted longer than 15-20 minutes. Gently rub a little wet sand on it. No big deal.

One of my biggest concerns at the beach is how hard the sand can be (sometimes). I play frisbee with Piper and I have to be very conscious of where I toss so he can catch it in soft sand. Two items that are a must at the beach ... fresh water and a shaded area (ie. beach umbrella). When you get home, a quick canine shower to wash off the sea salt is a must. We put a little cotton in the ears to prevent water getting into them. That's just about what I know.

When you get home, a quick canine shower to wash off the sea salt is a must.

Why is it a must?

We have lived next to the ocean for a decade. My dogs swim in it almost every day of their lives. I never rinse, and other than sand on my floor, which I have learned to live with, it's never a problem either.

???

RDM