BC Boards

Got this in the mail! (long)

I didn't write this, I got a copy in the mail. I know i am preaching to the choir here but here it is...

I put dogs in the gas chamber.

Yes, I gas dogs and cats for a living. I am an Animal Control Officer in a very small town in central North Carolina. I'm in my mid thirties, and have been working for the town in different positions since high school.

There is not much work here, and working for the county provides good pay and benefits for a person like me without higher education. I'm the person you all write about how horrible I am.

I'm the one that gases dogs and cats and make them suffer. I'm the one that pulls their dead corpses out smelling of carbon monoxide and throw them into green plastic bags. But I'm also the one that hates my job and hate what i have to do.

First off, all you people out there that judge me, don't. God is judging me, and I know i'm going to Hell. Yes I'm going to hell. I won't lie, it's despicable, cold, crule, and I feel like a serial killer. I'm not all to blame, if laws would mandate spay and neuter, lots of these dogs and cats wouldn't be here for me to gas. I'm the Devil, I know it, but I want you people to see that there is another side to the devil gas chamber man.

The shelter usually gases on Friday.

Friday's are the day that most people look forward to, this is the day i dread most. I wish that time will freeze on thursday night. Thursday night, late, after nobody's around,my friend and I goto a fast food line and buy $50 worth of burgers and chicken. I'm not allowed to feed the dogs on thursday, for I am told that they will make a mess in the gas chamber, and why waste food?

So, thursday night with all the lights still closed, I go into the saddest rooom that anyone cane ever imagine. I let all the doomed dogs out of their cages.

I have never been bit in all my years of doing this. The dogs never fought over the food. My buddy and I, open each burger and chicken sandwich. We feed them to the skinny and starving dogs. They swallow the food so fast, i can't imagine they taste it. Their tails are wagging, and some don't even go for the food, instead they roll over as if asking for their bellies to be scratched. They start running, jumping, and kissing me and my friend. They go back to the food, and come back to us. All their eyes are on us with such trust and hope, their tails wag so fast! After they devour the food it's time for them to devour some love and peace.

My buddy and I will sit on the pee stained floor and let the dogs jump on us. They lick us, they put their butts high in the air to play, and they play with each other. So lick each other, but most are glued to me and my friend.

I look into the eyes of each dog, I also give them all names. They will not die without a name.

I give each dog 5 minutes of unconditional love and touch. I talk to them, and tell them i am sorrythat tomorrow the will die a gruesome, long, torturous death at my hands. Some tilt their heads as if trying to understand.

I tell them they will be in a better place, and I beg them not to hate me. I tell them i know i am going to hell, but they will be playing with other dogs in heaven.

I then take each one back to theirfeces filled concrete jail cell, and pet them one last time. Some give me their paws, and I just want to die. I once more ask for their forgiveness.

As my friend and I are walking out, we watch as every dog is smiling at us. They will sleep tonight with a full belly, and a flase sense of security. As we walk out of the doomed room I ask once more for their fogiveness.

It is 5 am now and in 2 more hours I have to gas my new best friends. I go home to take a shower , take 4 anti-anxiety pills and drive back to work. I don't eat... I can't eat.

It is now time to put the dogs in the gas chamber. I put in ear plugs and goto collect the dogs. They are so excited to see me come in, they jump up with kisses to greet me with. They think they are going to play.

I put them into a rolling cage and walk to the gas chamber. They know. They just know! They can smell the death... they can smell the fear. They start to whimper the second I put them into the chamber. The boss tells me to squeezein as many as I can to save on gas. He watches me, he knows i hate him, that I hate my job. I do as i am told. The sounds are very muffled to me because of my ear plugs. He walks out, I turn on the gas and run out.

I walk very fast to the bathroom, inside i take a pin and draw blood from my hands. Why? The pain and blood takes my brain off of what i just did.

In 40 minutes, I have to go back and unload the dead animals. I pray none survived, which happens when i have to over fill the chamber. I pull them out wearing thick gloves, and the smell of carbon monoxide makes me sick. So does the vomit, blood, and all the bowel movements. I pull them out and place them into plastic bags.

They are in heaven now, i tell myself. I then start the cleaning of that god aweful mess, the mess YOU PEOPLE are creating by not spaying and neutering your pets. The mess YOU people are creating by not demanding that a vet come in and do this humanely. You are the tax payers, demand that this practice STOP!

So, don't call me a monster, the devil, the gasser, call the politicians, the shelter directors, and the county people the devil! Heck call Governor, tell him to make the gassing of animals stop.

As usual, I will take sleeping pills tonight to drown out the cries & screams. I heard them in past before i discovered ear plugs. I will jump and twitch in my restless sleep. Seeing the souls of all the eyes i've looked into.

This is my life, Don't judge me. Believe me, I judge myself enough.

I came home all happy from work today because we have a new Shop dog. The owner of the business is a widow and her constant companion was a 15 yr old shepherd who passed away over the summer. She went to Krisks no kill shelter and adopted a lovely shepx. The mascot of the business is her sons dog, Gracie, a rescued Bassett Hound who bears a stunning resemblence to a schoolbus.

What freaks me is that there are so many people who could have written this. How many municipal kill shelters are there? My town has only 3500 people and my town kills dogs too.

I'll have nightmares tonight just from reading it. Maybe it's been discussed before, but why in the hell are gas chambers still being used. City budgets? I don't argue that it is necessary, but since animals are euthanized, don't we, humans, from whom the word "humane" comes from, obligated to make sure that it is done with the least amount of pain, if not dignity.

I have a sickening feeling that the towns who euthanize---- no,-- KILL, in this case, their strays by gassing, are in the majority. Euthanasia implies to me a kindness. This is a barbarism from another day and time, another mentality that I have some serious trouble relating to.

The people like the writer in the first post, are victims too.

Disgusted.

Oh, that breaks my heart. I was a volunteer at a shelter while in college. Every holiday, I would sit down, get my pinking shears and make little kerchiefs for the dogs and cats at the shelter. Some would have halloween pumkins or little hearts for valentines day. but anyway I would then take the kerchiefs to the shelter and help bathe and groom the animals, and tie on their kerchiefs to prepare them for special adoption days. I would cry every time I left that shelter, and pray that this would be that special day that one would be adopted. It was hard enough to do what little I was honored to do, I can't imagine how the person in your story copes. charlene

This was from a Dogster group a few weeks ago. So sad. :rolleyes: The person that came up with these "chambers of death" should be put in one.

from a Dogster.com group

There is a new Shelter being built in Union County, NC. The Sheriff "Eddie Cathey" says in an interview that they have purchased a new Larger Gas Chambers to euthanize the animals there.Watch the video at: http://www.wsoctv.com/video/9624291/index.html

Please sign this petition to

SAY "NO" TO GAS CHAMBER IN THE NEW SHELTER BEING BUILT IN UNION COUNTY,NC http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/109677467

I managed 5 emergency clinics for dogs and cats many many years ago ( 1978-1983 to be exact), I also worked as their vet tech as well. Needless to say, there were times when dogs or cats would come in and need to be humanely euthanized because they were beyond medical help. Even under those conditions, knowing full well that it was the only thing that we could do to help them, it was unbelievably hard to assist in those times. I sat and cried with their owners and family members, feeling their loss deeply as if it were my own beloved pet. Many a night, I also cried myself to sleep. Part of my job description was also to purchase the supplies for the clinics. I don't know the cost today of the "solution" but I can tell you that back then, it was meer pennies in actual cost to put them to sleep. I cannot believe that this INHUMANE practice is going on! There is NO reason at all for this! This not only breaks my heart but angers me beyond words. Perhaps, and I won't go into the politics of county decisions, they cannot all become "no kill" shelters ( although I would argue that that is a possibility )but they certainly CAN change their protocol to at the very least be HUMANE! It has to start somewhere and with someone and I volunteer to start the campaign to make that change, If someone can provide me with a few shelters to start with (Email me privately if you like ) that still use these gas chambers of death and any other relavant information, I will compose letters, broadcast, distribute, call, get signed petitions or whatever means necessary to make a difference in this situation. My father always said, " it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease" and it sure does look like it's time to start making noise here!Sometimes it only takes one person to make a difference, Just think if we all did a little something, what we might accomplish!

Well the, the way I see it is that we have two options. We can sit and "tsk tsk" about this terrible situation or organize and start a grass roots movement to abolish this barbaric practice. There would be a lot of obstacles thrown in the path of a movement like this---lots of other "facts" thrown in to divert people from achieving a goal---such as the other questionable practices that exist. These things are taken care of one at a time. A long journey begins with a single step. There is a lot of talent on this board. Does this gas chamber use rile up enough emotion to begin to do something?

Another thing I find interesting is that the general public considers using a gas chamber preferable to say, a bullet in the head. There was a situation here in Ohio some years ago about a dog warden who shot strays in the head with a gun. It was shown on one of those news investigation programs. There was such a pubic outcry about his methods. I wonder if presented with footage of the "acceptable" gas chamber method, if the public would have viewed this guy in a different light. As it was, you can imagine he was made out to be a a monster. Bottom line is that most people don't consider the method of disposing of stray animals. It's akin to garbage collection day. Just get rid of it.

That needs to change.

Although I do not live in NC, I am a member, volunteer, foster, and transport for several groups in the NC area.

Friends of Rocky Mount (FOR) is one of the best run rescue operations that I have ever seen!

For what it is worth (and to show there is a positive here too!), here is a picture of the last foster I had from FOR. I saw her in her forever home last weekend... when Angel (My dog and also a PB BC rescue) stayed the weekend because I had to go out of town. The friend that kept her said he woke up in the middle of the night and Angel and Victoria were both cuddled up together sleeping peacefully in the same crate.

Day of rescue

P1010213.jpg

Safe at my house waiting for her new forever family to pick her up!

202542.jpg

202757.jpg

Rescue makes that happen, but it takes people, volunteers and money to make rescue work! Please donate your time and efforts where you can. Every little bit helps.

I signed that petition as well. I also added my original post to it.

I agree something needs to be done to stop this barbaric practice. I would love to see more people made aware of how horrible it is to die in this fashion. Before I got this letter, honestly i never even thought about it in that way. I hate to see any animal put down because we humans failed them.

I have been doing a "grass roots" effort, i have shown that letter to at least 20 people so far! I will be making copies of it and sending it to every darn politician i can think of!

Oh and just a small request, say a prayer for the original author. He/she doesn't deserve to be trapped under that kind of guilt.