BC Boards

What kind of food?

I talked to my vet the other day about Black Jack's food since he has had some gastrits the last few days and problems with gaining weight. He lost about 5 to 6 lbs. when he had that bad spell with his back, diahrrea, not eating, throwing up, and the meds. He recommend Eukaneuba puppy food. At first I thought why that food? it's not a good brand at all and I probably wouln't feed it either. But he told me he really liked it so I bought a small bag to try it to see if maybe it would work. I'm about to try anything to get him to eat more and get some energy. Well he pretty much hates it. He ate around it all in his bowl tonight. I know I should have known better but I guess it was just a mistake.

So what brands of puppy food would you guys recommend? I would try the Exclusive brand food I have using but he seems like he doesn't like it anymore. What about Chicken soup for the dog's soul brand food?

Good food for picky dogs who need to pack on some pounds:

EVO, either regular or RM

Canidae. Some dogs gain weight on it, others don't. You just kind of have to experiment.

Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit

Royal Canin, any of the Mini formulations that are not supposed to be to control weight (read the bag). The one for Yorkies is a good one. That's a really pricey way to put a few pounds on a dog, though.

Bil Jac is also awesome for picky dogs. The puppy formula is the one I use as it best approximates a light working formula (then I add a little meat and fat).

Is this near you?

K & M Pet Products & Services

232 S Lennox

Casper, WY 82601

(307) 234-1752

Looks like they carry the Natura brands (Innova, Evo, etc)

Yes that is near me. It's only about 45 minutes away. I didn't even know it was there :rolleyes:

So can you feed the EVO food all the time or is it just a special food? Is there a web-site? I'm really being picky about food now since I screwed up with the Eukneuba food. He had diahrrea all day today from just eating about 10 things of food. I feel like the worst dog owner ever. I knew better since I did so much research on food but I still listened to the vet. He's doing better tonight though.

When we first got Ruby, she was very sick with kennel cough, giardia, and the aftereffects of spaying. She wouldn't eat and she was VERY skinny. We used Satin Balls to put weight on her. They are very palatable and digestable. They are useful for a limited time, or as a supplement.

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]

1 lg. box of Total cereal

1 lg. box oatmeal

1 jar of wheat germ

1 1/4 cup veg oil

1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses

10 raw eggs AND shells

10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin

pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf. Roll into meatballs.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!

Not many dogs will turn down the Red Meat Evo formula, especially the wet food. It smells very meaty even to me. Just a warning about Evo; it is a great food and it is what I feed my dogs, but because of the high fat and protein content it spoils very quickly. If you are only feeding it to one or two BCs you need to freeze at least half of it and make sure the other half stays in the bag, rolled up and in an airtight container. If you don't you may find your dog gets diarrhea all of a sudden after doing so well on it for several weeks. I have found that during the summer it only stays good for 1 to 2 weeks before becoming rancid. It is very expensive but I feed about half as much Evo as the previous brands I tried, so in the end I think I break even on the cost.

I use the Eagle Pack "Power Formula", when I have a dog looking a bit down, or they are being worked alot. Used for sled dogs (suppliers for the Iditarod). Has good protien and fat content. When I first saw the lable, I was a bit put back from seeing corn in it, but contacted the company and talked with some vets. Seems the concensious is that the corn is not used as a filler, but rather an omega 3/6 source.

Dean gained weight on Chicken Soup. I took him off it when the recalls started - not because it was affected but because I just felt better about a different brand. When I switched him from it, he got alarmingly thin. Now he's eating raw and he's back to a healthy weight.

So, yes, I would say that Chicken Soup is worth a try for weight gain.

Well I weighed him today at the vet's office and he's up to 43.8 lbs. So I might just mix some puppy food in his regular food to put on a little weight. He's good around 45 lbs. to 46 lbs. so he's not really that skinny now. But he also hasn't been playing as much since it's hot s othat might be why he's gaining some.

But I probably will change him over to the Chicken soup food but I'll wait until he levels off. Sooner or later he'll be normal. Huh, yeah right a normal BC :rolleyes:

I had the same problem with Kes having a jippy tummy when she was about 6 months of age and I used purina one for a short time which helped, then when I moved state-side we switched to Canidae. I can't say enough good things about Canidae. It helped her put on weight and her coat was glossier and I also notice that she doesn't accumulate tartar on her teeth.

If you don't actually want to change foods, you can always try feeding him oatmeal. When I had my old guy on Timberwolf Organics, he lost quite a bit of weight, even though I doubled his ration, so I simply added an oatmeal meal in the evenings. I don't know why, but it does help them to gain weight, and it's "mild" so not likely to cause stomach upset in a dog who has suffered gastritis, etc. I occasionally feed it to my tiny little picky eater too to try and up her weight a bit. I've also used satin balls, but plain old oatmeal is a lot less labor intensive!

J.