BC Boards

Looking to get a border collie! Advice please...

I'm sorry to be redundant, but I will concur with those who recommended that you consider a rescue dog. A breeder can always find a home for a puppy; but a rescue needs a home, and (like an orphan child) needs your love and attention. Missy (a BC mix) came from a "rescue" situation; and in addition to having had an absolutely fantastic dog for the last 12 years, I also have the pleasure of knowing that I gave a loving home to a dog that otherwise might not have found a home, or might have been placed in a much less desirable situation. Annie came from a repuitable breeder recommended by our vet; but if I had it to do over again, I would have gotten my BC from rescue. (I just didn't know any better at the time, and did not join this board until after she had joined our family.)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to check out www.gsda.org . It is the web site for the Georgia Stock Dog Association. You can go to some trials, and clinics. Even though you don't have a dog/pup yet, a clinic is good to go to. Even though you don't want to "work" the dog you get, you will see what a properly bred Border Collie is like. You will also get to rub shoulders with some people who have young working bred dogs that, while great in every other sense, is deemed to not work out as working dogs. That would be your best bet. They will seldom have health issues, and you will know they came from working parents. I am not saying rescue is not a great thing, I do rescue, but I am trying to give you another avenue.

As everyone has said, no matter what the breeding, a pup is a crap shoot! My Jackson is different than he was as a pup. He is 2.5yrs. old now. Skip is 1yr. old and I am seeing changes in him already.

I too, was like you. Only difference is that my first intro to the breed was watching a trial! I got Jackson with the sole purpose of working/trialing him. I didn't even know they did "other" stuff! LOL

....but ultimately it is your choice of where you want to get the dog from. i feel bad if i have given you an wrong notions. though many of us have started like you not knowing anything about border collies and in cases like mine given a "crapshot" at a bc puppy, we still got by and our dogs are turned out great.

i'd be honest and upfront...money at the time was an issue so we opted for adoption. after the first it was no longer a problem and thought that we could manage a second one :D

our comments are here to caution you of potential headaches and also for the good of the bc breed....not by any means of discouraging you into altogether avoiding a breeder or getting a border altogether. imo, a puppy in a good home is a puppy that will not end up in the shelter, no matter where they originally came from.

many of us started like you...but we still got by :rolleyes:

I have just read the whole thread, and wanted to say what a wonderful response this Board has given to the OP. The amount of information/advice/guidance is amazing. Ryan - I really do hope you take it on board :rolleyes:

Regarding the pup v rescue, I couldn't agree more with a novice, first-time BC owner going down the rescue route, and being paired up with a dog that fits their lifestyle, needs and hopes for the partnership. I had Moss from a pup and bought Rip as a part-trained sheepdog three months ago. It has to be said that I am bonded to both my boys equally, and it is as though Rip has been a part of my life forever.

Please think very carefully about your decision. A BC can be part of your life for anything up to 18 years!

Good luck.

My husband and I just adopted an adult border collie from a rescue. We chose him based on his personality. I second the opinion that getting an adult is a great way of knowing what temperament you are in for. There are a lot of BC's that end up at rescues because they aren't great working dogs, which make them more suitable as pets - and vice versa (great working dogs that aren't suitable in a non-working environment). We had to really dedicate the first couple month to training and instilling manners, laying down rules, and asserting that we were in charge, but it was worth it. Getting a rescue was the best thing we could have done.

Hello ,

I read some , not all because mostly I agree with all that is said by members here , but as regards your own postion , which will eventually affect the dog's , I think you should also consider that your situation is transitory , a young single student living with roommates etc , so things are bound to change and go in very different directions anytime soon ...

For the dog's sake , I would of course privilege the rescue route , and maybe an older dog suited to your needs , the rescue people will understand what you are after ...

None of my business but a dog lasts a long time , especially if you want to start with a pup , and all the decisions you'll have to make ( courses , time schedules , jobs , girl friends , other hobbies ... you name it) will affect the dog .

It could be now you have a lot of time , energy , nice roommates , leisure time , a good house with a garden , and then in a couple of years you're married to a girl allergic to dogs , you have a very demanding job and live in a tiny appartment in the middle of a huge city ...

That's me at my most cheerful :rolleyes:

I certainly don't want to burst your bubble but it does seem you're not settled in any one style of life ...a bc can be very unhappy very fast .

Guest LJS1993

Though I am far from being a dog expert let me say this. I did not have any experience before I got my first BC Shadow(RIP)(MAY PEACE BE UPON HER). I was about sixteen years old, very interested in being a pro-baseball player and doing the normal High School athlete thing. With that said, I raised her from I believe to be about three months old or less. Man what a chore it was for a me being a kid myself. I remember all those nights I had to get up to make sure she would go to the bathroom. There were times after a long and hard practice and school day, or what at least seemed hard at the time, that Shadow would really need a ton of my attention. However was it worth it? Yes it was. The bond that I grew with that dog was amazing, something I attribute to raising her from puppyhood. I remember the day I went to the rescue and picked her out from her little brothers and sisters. Why did I picke her, not sure why, just felt like we had a connection. We ended up having a beautiful friendship. Would I do somethings differently? Yes, as I'm sure most people would with their first BC. Did I make mistakes? Yes, but I learned from those mistakes. Was Shadow happy? Yes she was very happy until the last two years of her life. But those last two years were health related and had nothing to do with me raising her as a sixteen year old boy and not having a BC ever in his life. So if I could raise a good BC from very small puppyhood at the age of sixteen, anyone with common sense, patience, and love can do it.

Okay now let me say this. I was a "ranch" kid who grew up and still lives next to a modest 8-10 acre spread. Shadow had a job while I was away, that job being watching customers, squirrels, rabbits, other dogs, etc.. who would enter our ranch. She was a great watch dog for my Grandma and really kept her feeling safe when she was by herself. There was also always someone around the ranch. Whether it was a cousin, aunt, or worker, there was someone on the ranch for her to have human contact with. Did she have playmates, nope, she was a people dog and I wanted her like that. I also gave her tons of exercise and will never forget how I had to modify her corral from six to eight feet in height because she could easily leap over six feet.

So basically I believe you need to have devotion and time to spend with this breed of dog. No I am no expert, don't work my dog with sheep, don't do agility or confirmation either. But I can say that I raised a very young dog as a kid myself and gave her some very good years and a good life. She is buried here on the ranch so her spirit will live on. You can have this kind of relationship too. However you need the time, patience, energy, and the overall necessities to properly give your BC a quality life.

Mado has an excellent point. I acquired every dog I have ever owned while I was in grad school (well, I was in grad school for, heh, a while). I agree with Ryan -- school is a GREAT time to have a dog. But, depending on the sacrifices a person is willing to make, it might not be a good time to get a dog. You can't know for sure where you're going to be after school or what you'll be doing and if there is any realistic possibility that a dog will be incompatible with your future life then you owe it to the dog to wait until you are more settled, especially if you are considering a high-maintenance dog like a Border Collie.

I made a few promises to myself and to my dogs when I got them. Basically, I decided that having dogs is so important to me that I will never have a lifestyle incompatible with having dogs. In other words, I will never take a job that requires so many hours away from home that I cannot take care of my dogs. I will never give up a dog for the sake of a house, apartment, or significant other (what kind of guy would want me to give up my dogs anyway?). I will never make financial decisions that make it impossible for me to provide appropriate daily and veterinary care for my dogs. I can't control everything that happens, obviously, but in situations that I have a choice I will always choose the option that allows me to have and provide for my dogs.

If you cannot make the same promises now, it is best if you wait to get a dog. Border Collies are a healthy, long-lived breed in general. I am sure you have thought of this, but if not, take some time and consider if you are really sure your dog will be with you for life.

1. No one who has not already lived with a BC should start with a puppy. You will be in over your head -- I guarantee it. (I expect that AK Dog Doc will be along shortly to make this point firsthand.)

Well, I would, but I think many people have already done a fine job of it! :D Seriously, training a BC puppy can be like living with a pack of raccoons. They are In. To. EVERYTHING. Busy little destructo dogs, allll happy to be dismantling your refrigerator and investigating what your quilt is stuffed with and "unknitting" your favorite sweater or other knit goods. :rolleyes: ("LOOK! See what I found behind the TV? WIRES! They don't taste good, though. I chewed on every one of them to make sure.") I had two BCs as rescues before I had a BC pup, and thank God for that! The pup was still a challenge (the second one even more so!) but at least I knew what I was in for and was prepared. That helped ensure that both pups made it through adolescence alive (well, one is still in adolescence so we're not done yet, but I'm hopeful.) :D

I LOOOOOVED having a dog in grad school and vet school - BUT: I was 100% committed that I was going NOWHERE without my dog. No move, no job, no school that I couldn't take my dog along with me. I actually bought a house before Vet school so I could be assured I could keep my dog. Also, this dog was the PERFECT sidekick for me. Absolutely the perfect "college" dog. She was an adult, she was small and portable, she was well-trained and well-socialized. She was not, BTW, a BC... though in terms of activity and intelligence, she might well have been (half terrier = high activity and drive. Half poodle = really smart and social.) Not herdy at all, though. :D THE best dog I've ever had, so far.... and I got her as an adult dog. (BTW, she had 14 years to become so perfect... none of my current dogs has had that much time, so I am NOT saying they won't one day be as good... or even better.)

FWIW, I really think it's EXCELLENT that you've decided to do your homework first. Your chances of success are much higher (not just in getting the right dog for you, either - that's a good trait for success in any endeavor.) Personally, I hate moving and I would not want to have to also integrate a new pet into my household at the same time as moving - but that may just be me.

As for the other dogs in the house, I second what others have said about a semi-adult or young adult dog... You have a WAY better hope of getting a dog that gets on well with other dogs in general (and hopefully with your roomies' dogs in particular) with an adult dog. Even a puppy reared with other dogs may not get on well with them as adults. This can be because they decide that THEY are going to be top dog, which can mean many bloody coups will be staged in your living room. It can be because they just aren't temperamentally suited to THOSE DOGS - the ones already living there. It can be for a lot of reasons.

I for one hope you DO find the perfect BC for you, because you seem to have many traits that bode well for a wonderful relationship and excellent home for the dog. Best of luck with this, and keep an open mind... the perfect dog for you might not come in the package you were expecting, but if you have a dog-shaped hole in your life, a dog will fall into it. Nature abhors a vacuum and all that. :D

Oh, and I hope you stick around here. Welcome to the Boards.

Also, this dog was the PERFECT sidekick for me. Absolutely the perfect "college" dog. She was an adult, she was small and portable, she was well-trained and well-socialized. She was not, BTW, a BC... though in terms of activity and intelligence, she might well have been (half terrier = high activity and drive. Half poodle = really smart and social.) Not herdy at all, though. :rolleyes: THE best dog I've ever had, so far.... and I got her as an adult dog.

Holy crap. I could have written this, except that she was a Pomeranian. Her name was Harley. Harley was 15 months old when I got her. She couldn't have been more perfect; I didn't entirely realize, until after she was gone, how lucky I'd been with her. Harley went to school with me every day, she was beautifully mannered and socialized, she went to classes, she went to parties, she loved everything and everyone, everyone loved her. Harley had the kind of temperament that guide dog organizations look for and a personality so vivacious I should have done therapy work with her. Harley was brilliant, learned quickly, she was deep and intuitive, and always seemed to be thinking about something (this is something Solo has in common). We understood each other, and could communicate through subtleties like the shrug of a shoulder or a sidelong glance. I always knew we were on the same page. She was a star, truly outstanding. Everyone should have a dog like Harley at least once.

At the time that I was looking for my first dog, I thought I wanted a Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute. I even thought that it would be a good idea to get a puppy so I could "train it to be quiet and lie under the desk while I was in class." HA! While doing my research I stumbled across what was, at the time, a true treasure trove of knowledge and assistance -- the rec.pets.dogs Usenet group (Usenet is slowly dying, so r.p.d.* isn't what it used to be) where I asked for assistance in looking for my first dog. I was quickly disabused of the notion that a Husky puppy was the best choice for me in my position (grad student, never had a dog before) and began looking for a smaller adult dog. If I hadn't heeded the advice I got I would never have gotten Harley and that would have been a crying shame because she was the coolest dog, EVER.

That said, if I HAD gotten a Husky puppy I think I could have made it work (I was that determined) but having a dog like Harley who fit so damn easily into my life was the rarest of luxuries. After Harley died, and I ended up with a Border Collie in her stead, I felt quite acutely all the things I'd given up. No matter how well-trained, a dog the size of a Border Collie is generally not welcome in class. He cannot hide in a tote bag during a quick trip to the mall or IKEA. He cannot ride in the cabin during airplane flights. He is not allowed in many hotel rooms that only welcome dogs under 20 pounds in size. He will not get enough exercise for the day by walking back and forth to campus. After I got Solo, I gave up some of my most cherished hobbies, including horseback riding, because they took up too much time and could not include the dog (Harley used to go to the barn with me and hang out in the tack room while I rode). I stopped going to the gym. My leisure activities all began to revolve around my Border Collie. This happens to pretty much everyone who gets a Border Collie, otherwise, why get a Border Collie in the first place?

The truest companion-type dogs are designed to fit into a normal human lifestyle. Border Collies do not fit into a normal human lifestyle. They cause normal humans to alter their lifestyles to accomodate their dogs. This is why anyone considering a Border Collie needs to think long, and carefully, and should spend time with some before making a commitment, unless you are the type of person who is going to make it work out no matter what. Most people aren't, which is why there are so many Border Collies in rescue.

The truest companion-type dogs are designed to fit into a normal human lifestyle. Border Collies do not fit into a normal human lifestyle. They cause normal humans to alter their lifestyles to accomodate their dogs. This is why anyone considering a Border Collie needs to think long, and carefully, and should spend time with some before making a commitment, unless you are the type of person who is going to make it work out no matter what. Most people aren't, which is why there are so many Border Collies in rescue.

I was having this conversation earlier today, when I was asked why I no longer see any of my old friends or do the stuff I used too....

the simple answer is... If Shelby can't, then I can't.

I find more and more often I will put off or even avoid activities that exclude my lovely pooch...

and other people just don't understand.

if she was a small dog, like a pom i recently fell in love with :rolleyes:, then nobody would have an issue,

I wish I had thought of this before. but for now I am content to wrap my world around my dog.

I will second, thrid, fourth and fifth, that if you are truely interested in getting a border collie, you NEED to spend some time with other border collie owners first. just be around them and see how they REALLY are. its not for some people.

and WOW I run from puppies now!!! a border collie puppy is one of the most difficult things I have ever had to deal with in my life....O so stressfull... worth it in the long run.... but very very hard to deal with. this was *my* first puppy, and first BC (bcXaussie mutt) and I thought I was prepared.....

I will not have another BC puppy for a long long long long long time.....

The truest companion-type dogs are designed to fit into a normal human lifestyle. Border Collies do not fit into a normal human lifestyle. They cause normal humans to alter their lifestyles to accomodate their dogs.

No truer words have been spoken!

With her usual astuteness, SoloRiver has put her finger on something that I think we all know about border collies. There are no exceptions!

An example: I enjoyed chatting with a handler who was running a dog at Soldier Hollow last year. He told me that several years earlier he'd gotten a Border Collie as a pet. Within five years he'd sold his suburban home, bought a farm, and now had sheep and several dogs that he worked and trialled.

No kidding!

After I got Solo, I gave up some of my most cherished hobbies, including horseback riding, because they took up too much time and could not include the dog (Harley used to go to the barn with me and hang out in the tack room while I rode). I stopped going to the gym. My leisure activities all began to revolve around my Border Collie. This happens to pretty much everyone who gets a Border Collie, otherwise, why get a Border Collie in the first place?

Truer words....

We regularly consider what life would be like had the path not led to a border collie (and then to four more). I used to travel abroad at least twice a year for fun and work. I used to live abroad regularly for several months at a time. I went to movies. I watched television. I had dinner parties. I went to dinner parties and stayed until after 11 pm. I went out for drinks after classes. I slept in past 6:30 if I felt like it. I went away for the week-end. I saw my extended family on occassion.

We did all these things (except live abroad for several months) while we had a dog. All these things stopped with the border collie--and on the scale of border collie, she was and is pretty much on the calm-ish end of things.

Ryan, I don't know if you are still reading and thinking about the advice you are getting, but I hope you are. People are not just playing a game of "how crazy is life with Border Collies" (a game which is fun and which is played often here). It can really be quite a different experience living with a Border Collie than with other kinds of dogs and you'll have to be ready for that. People sometimes call these dogs the million $$ dogs--and it's because of the ways in which your life can be fundamentally altered by living with one.

I was having this conversation earlier today, when I was asked why I no longer see any of my old friends or do the stuff I used too....

the simple answer is... If Shelby can't, then I can't.

I find more and more often I will put off or even avoid activities that exclude my lovely pooch...

and other people just don't understand.

Whew! In a way it's nice to know I'm not the only one in this situation! I've gotten my share of funny looks when I avoided going out with friends because I wanted/needed to get home to be with my two bcs.

I'm a full time college student, too. I commute, and generally get there just when classes start and leave as soon as they're over so that I don't have to leave my dogs alone for too long. This has caused something of a rift between me and my classmates. They often hang out on campus, go out to eat, study together, etc, but I find myself rushing home, because I've learned that there are some rather unpleasant consequences to having a bored border collie! It's a challenge, but my two pups are worth it, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ryan, you mentioned that you only go to class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I assume those are rather long days for you if you're taking a full load. Are you going to be willing to decline dinner/party/movie invitations on Tuesday/Thursday nights so that you don't have to leave your BC alone for 10+ hours a day? I know that's something I've had to do in the past, and it's not always an easy or a fun choice to make. If not, do you think your roommates will be willing to pick up the slack? Just something to consider :]

I'd also like to vouch for getting an older dog from a BC rescue -- maybe 18+ months or so. A dog that age will be out of the chewing stage, and possibly have some housetraining and obedience training already (don't underestimate the value of that, especially if you're in college!). You'll be able to start playing frisbee/agility/whatever right away, whereas if you got a puppy you'd have to wait at least a year, if not 18 months, before engaging it in any strenuous activity.

There's also a huge value to getting a dog whose temperament has been evaluated by a rescue. It could save you the pain of raising and falling in love with a puppy only to find that it develops certain characteristics (aggression, harmful paranoia, etc.) as it grows which make it impossible for you to live with in your current situation, and having to give it up. There are some wonderful bcs in rescue whose only crime was being too much border collie for their families to handle.

Best of luck to you in your search!

-Jenny

The truest companion-type dogs are designed to fit into a normal human lifestyle. Border Collies do not fit into a normal human lifestyle. They cause normal humans to alter their lifestyles to accomodate their dogs.

What she said. What the next three posters said. There is no way to really understand this until you live it, but I too dwell often on how this happened to me. All my life I've been known as a person with a dog constantly at her side, but when the dog became a border collie, everything changed.

I tell people that I traded in my ordinary model dog for the high performance model, but this doesn't begin to capture the difference.

I too bought a house to live in during grad school so I would never have to worry about where my dogs and I would live. I too have stopped travelling abroad for the most part. I too have switched my hobbies to dogcentric ones and gave up the dog-incompatible ones, even ones that used to seem like part of my core identity. I too have lost interest in attending a lot of very pleasant human social events.

In fact, I am now somewhat adrift, not sure whether I really want to continue with the rather awesome career I worked so hard to earn. I'd rather "do stuff with my dogs" than go to work. Could border collies really be responsible for turning me from a responsible adult into...not sure what? I am in shock.

Oh well. This is a bit beyond what the OP needed to hear. By all means get a border collie, but plan to make a commitment to the dog, and expect that that commitment will exceed anything you can presently imagine. After all, it's not like any of us wish we hadn't brought home that first border collie...

ETA: Here's another crazy thing. All my life I've had dogs and cats. Never understood the part about being a dog person only or a cat person only. Big happy family, we were. Since the border collies arrived, all I can say is that the cat has become just plain boring, and this is a cat who generally rates pretty high on most peoples' cat scales. Luckily the cat is pretty self-tending, so it doesn't really matter what I think, but it's another way that the earth moved unexpectedly under my feet when I traded up to a border collie.

:rolleyes: and the last 4 posts are why the rest of the world thinks we Border Collie people are crazy :D

LOL Alaska I noticed the same thing about the cat!!! I was just thinking on how my poor kitty has adopted the neighbors children over me now because they love her more...

It's really awesome that all of you take the time to not only reply, but put so much thought and care into your posts in regard to my situation.

At this point, talking me out of getting BC is a moot strategy. I've convinced myself that I can do it, and that I want to do it. The thing that most appeals to me about BCs is I really want a partner and comrade who's down for anything. I've never liked dogs who just laid around and slept or had no athletic ability. I want a dog I can take with me everywhere and do everything with. I promise you all, it's not a overnight decision I'll regret. I'm ready to do all of the things I'll need to not only keep the dog active, but happy.

Also, I'm not single. I have a girlfriend of 1 1/2 years who's also in college. She's a dog lover as well and fully supports my decision.

I saw a BC in Aspen yesterday, really cute.

Also, I'm not single.

You will be :rolleyes:

Okay, I admit that was mean. I couldn't resist.

Really, enjoy your new dog. But do take to heart the part about starting out with a dog, not a puppy, as your first BC (because there will be more), about getting someone who knows the breed to match you up with the right dog, and about the fact that your life WILL change in ways you are not expecting.

Also, start putting aside some cash. Dog sport hobbies can be expensive, and you'll be getting into a few soon, even if you don't think you will be.

You will be :rolleyes:

Okay, I admit that was mean. I couldn't resist.

Really, enjoy your new dog. But do take to heart the part about starting out with a dog, not a puppy, as your first BC (because there will be more), about getting someone who knows the breed to match you up with the right dog, and about the fact that your life WILL change in ways you are not expecting.

Also, start putting aside some cash. Dog sport hobbies can be expensive, and you'll be getting into a few soon, even if you don't think you will be.

lol. I want to think you people are just setting me up for a challenge and are really over-emphasizing the energy it's going to take to raise a BC....

But something tells me you're not :D

They sometimes call a Border Collie a $250,000 dog. The pup costs a few hundred, but then there are the sheepdog lessons and clinics, the move to the country and purchase of a farm (for the dog), and the stock (for the dog), and the fencing (for the stock), and the barn (for the stock) and the truck (for the dog), and the stock trailer (for the stock), and the camper/RV (for trialling - for the dog), etc. Actually, at today's prices, let's call it a $500,000 dog if you are truly serious and get into more land, more stock, maybe add some cattle, a horse, more dogs, more stock, etc.

For the right person, like my daughter, the dogs make awesome companions for an active and intelligent lifestyle.

Best wishes!

At this point, talking me out of getting BC is a moot strategy. I've convinced myself that I can do it, and that I want to do it.

And that's awesome, as long as you're also fully prepared to make whatever changes necessary to accomodate the dog and can promise the dog that no matter what, you are going to make it work. Anyone looking for a dog should be thinking in those terms (otherwise, why get a dog?), but with a dog like a Border Collie it becomes doubly important.

Good luck.

Keep in mind there are BCs out there who are laid back. That means they get up and go, go, go when you are ready but have a very good off switch and don't demand your attention 24/7 when you need to do things like study (helps to exercise them beforehand so they are busy napping for a good 20mins before they come get you for another session, lol). And based on what you've said, that's the kind of BC you're after. Both my BCs are like that.

...they get up and go, go, go when you are ready but have a very good off switch and don't demand your attention 24/7 when you need to do things like study...

My understanding is that you're more likely to get a BC with a good off-switch if you take care to get one from good working lines.

it's not all that one sided....afterall, aren't humans are still the boss? it's definitely doable. having a doggie next to ya will really help you stay awake till the weee hours of the night studying

[edit] there's a compromise. might kinda scare some1 if we give the notion that dogs are gonna be our owners. it's a compromise and we have to change some of our habits and routines to accomodate them