BC Boards

Working Times

Guest Bart

How much time should I be spending with my dogs and sheep a day.

I can invent work for them to do since I try to move my sheep over my property and the neighbors property enough times so I don't have to feed them. Right now for all three dogs it is about 1.5 hours at the most.

1.5 hours sounds like lots of work time for three dogs. Dogs only learn when they are fresh. When I train, if I see any sign of fatigue, I fall back to something that is easy for my dog and end the training session on a positive note. I usually take about twenty minutes per young one. As they get older, I increase it. Their stamina improves with age.

Amanda

under that definition I am working them only 10 minutes for so for the older dogs and about 15 mintues for the puppy. The other time they are working moving the sheep, so it seems I could work them more moving sheep if I have the time?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how would you define "training time" versus "work time"?

We do chores with our cattle several times a day at this time of year. As opportunity permits, I use one or both dogs to bring the three young heifers into the barn for feed twice a day; bring the in-calf heifers to their feed bunk twice a day; bring the mature in-calf cows to the mineral feeder once a day; and move these animals back out to the hay bales in the pasture.

Some days, I take one or the other dog out with the young heifers and "practice" outruns, fetches, and short drives (as that is what we are all beginning to learn). So, I guess I'd consider this training instead of accomplishing work?

I am always trying to train as we work, so I'm not sure where you would "draw the line" deciding if too much time is going into training compared to work. Would you say that, if you are accomplishing a job, that it's work and if you are moving stock around simply for practice or teaching, that it's training?