BC Boards

and yet another judging question...

Guest tucknjill

Guest tucknjill

This past weekend I was judging a trial, I think the third one I have done. I found myself a bit at odds with the lift. Perfect runs were easy to judge, but I found myself in a mental struggle not to triple deduct on the bad runs, ie say the dog really slashed the top blew them on the lift and headed them backwards before bring them down the fetch, also at that point offline. How do you avoid triple marking the same incedent such that ok, I hit the outrun for being tight and short say 6-10 points depending on the severity and then well there was no lift so I would hit that 5-9...well the lift was so bad, they are offline and I was steady taking points off the fetch..I guess my question is, what the heck do you do with the really bad runs? I found myself asking what could I leave vs what to take off and also reminding myself as bad as it is, could it be worse? Any tips on any of the above confusion?

Slash the points. Some one is apt to do it properly and a judge always needs to leave room. You are not there for charity. You’re there to judge the trial. If people don’t want their points slashed, they should run better.

Sam

I will go a little further with the issue of judging wrecks. As much as it is your responsibility to dash points, people undertaking the wrecks ought to back off examination of the points off. In complete mayhem the points are pretty meaningless. "Which run is the worse of the worst?" A judge ought to be able to relax after a total botch, even if the handler feels entitled to keep running--a defacto standard, where the judge more or less stops watching. The day would be much easier on the long hours we require of judges. Wreck runners ought to leave the post before they do even more damage. As judges, wreck runners can be asked to leave for unworkmanlike work. That is unpopular in North America. We have seen its conseqences at a trial here--a near handler's riot. Maybe we should get accutomed to it. In North America, hands ought to learn to leave the post with events beyod repair. In the absence of their voluntary departure, asked to leave the post.

When we go to the post, we cease to be our private selves and become representatives of our sport at large. Chasing sheep all over the place has no real currency in sheep dog trialling. If your score is a bust, take a walk. If you are scoring a bust, make them walk. Neither dog nor hand is helped by the experience of sheepdog carnage. A judge should not have to judge it.

Amanda

Guest tucknjill

Amen to that. I guess the deal with the lower class runs (not all,but some) was that everything was just off, most all runs missed the fetch gates so therefore not online at all so I just graded the points on distance from fetch gates etc. I had the most trouble with the lifts, scoring the severity when the outrun was so tight that there wasnt an actual lift. Most being so fast and often in the opposite direction. I just felt like I was hitting them three times for the same penalty, first the outrun, which caused a bad lift and hitting them again for the fetch which was offline due to the bad lift..but as you say a bad run is a bad run and wrong is wrong so take points accordingly.

I do totally agree with your analysis of wrecks btw. Both as someone who runs and someone who hosts trials. I guess individuals just HOPEFULLY gain more understanding of the concept as they spend more time in the sport, hopefully thru good examples by their peers and by the respect they gain for their own livestock as they tend them over the years. Anyway, I totally agree with you that the trend should start to go the way you are speaking of towards less tolerance of sheep abuse, for the good of the dogs, the good of the sheep and the good of the sport, even in the Novice classes. It is never too soon to start good habits.

Thanks for the input, judging is still very new to me and I do sweat trying to get everyone in the right order regardless of the points. It is a very hard job and I must say everyone was very nice to me at the trial regardless of their placement. (At least while I was in earshot! :rolleyes:

<small>[ February 08, 2006, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Sam Furman ]</small>