BC Boards

Fish hook.

I have just arrived home early from a easter holiday. We took Abbie with us to Tathra which is near the beach. On Saturday afternoon we took her for her afternoon walk down to a boat ramp place (in the morning we went to the main beach). It was a place where people go fishing, boating and snokelling. It is also a good place for dogs to swim.

We walked throught the bush track to get there then Abbie had a swim and a run around. She was having a ball. Abbie soon found a yummy bit of fish to pick up. I didnt really want her to eat it so i was trying to catch her. It was no good. I couldnt get near here. Abbie then dropped the fish she had and picked up something else. I didnt notice until i saw a bit of fishing line hanging out of her mouth. I knew immediately what that ment, a hook. Everything seemed to go down hill from there.

Through determination my dad and i managed to catch her, but it was too late. The hook had gone. We didnt know for sure that there would be a hook but it was VERY likely.

Feeling awful we walked back up the hill. Abbie didnt even pull on the lead. She must have sensed that we were upset/annoyed or maybe she just had a sore throat or tummy.

Because we were staying in a small town we had to go to the next town to get a vet. Luckily they did after hours. The vet was very kind and we went immediately. He took an X-ray which confirmed our worst fears. There was a very clear hook at the end of Abbies oesophegas (sp?) near the entrance to the stomache. What made it worse was the fact that is was about an inch and a half long! Pretty big, which ment it was most likely to be stainless steel and not dissolve.

That night Abbie was REALLY quiet. She just sat around sleeping on the floor. That was really weired coz Abbie is NEVER calm.

We went back the next morning for another X-ray. It had moved, but only around. The sharp bit was still in the same spot meaning it is probably stuck. The vet told us that Abbie would need surgery. He advised us to go home early so she could recover at home. We left after lunch. It was an 8 hour drive home.

It is a public holiday tomorrow so we have to find a vet which will do surgery tommorow or at least advise us on what to do.

I still cant believe what happened. Im so angry at the person who left the hook there, lying on the grass. It could have been anyones dog or a kid could have stepped on it or a bird could have eaten it.

Anyone know much about fish hooks or what we should do? Tommorrow we will go to a vet but its late now and i should go to bed......

Oh man. :rolleyes: I'm so sorry to hear that! Hooks are definitely dangerous things, though I'd never heard of something eating one. I have heard lots of stories of hooks getting stuck on the outside of people though (My dad's a fisherman).

How aweful. Good luck with the surgery. :D

Zoinks! Poor Abbie :rolleyes: I never even thought of fish hooks as doggie danger! My next visit to the creeks, i'll have to keep an eye open. Foo and I used to treasure dive/search our favorite swimming hole. (beer cans, whiskey bottles, and any other piece of trash errr treasure we could fine)

Sad fact is some folks don't care what kind of danger their trash can pose. I'll keep Abbie in my thoughts and pray for a easy surgey and speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation and certainly hope whatever procedure to remove it goes smoothly and ASAP.

But this is yet another reason to not allow your dog off lead in a public use area.

Had you had control of your dog its likely that you could of stopped her from ingesting the hook.

Most likely it still had abit of bait left on it and was discarded by an irresponsible fisherman.

Good luck and I hope it works out without any complications

I take Bandit to the beach alot and let him explore off the leash. I'm always worried it's possible he may swallow a fish hook since some people fish off beach. Now that I hear about Abbie I'm not so sure I will let him off leash in future at beach. He enjoys it sooo much, but I must protect him.

Also before we went on our morning walk this morning. He was eating grass on lawn for the first time. He shortly spit it up with flem. He seams to be ok. When I walk him in neighborhood, it's on a retractable 26 feet leash. I worry he may swallow something I'm not aware of.

Sorry for going on. I just worry about Bandit's safety even more now hearing about Abbie.

Please let us know what happends. Best of Luck!

That is a terrible pickle she got into! Be thankful it went down the "right" way and didn't hook itself further up.

If it is just before the stomach opening, I would advise not to feed her anything but watery baby food, the pureed kind or puree some food yourself. I would not give her anything that could get caught up where the hook is. I also would give her nothing the night before you take her to the vet in case they want to do surgery immediately.

Best of luck. Prayers for recovery!

Holy moly! That is so terrible. You are a smart one though, I think I would have pulled on the string. I know that makes me sound like an idiot, but I would have just figured it was a piece of string, like a piece of hair or grass. I am so sorry that happened to you. Many prayers and a speedy recovery.

Abbies home!

We just picked her up from the animal hospital.

Luckily the hook had moved again which made it easier to get out. We have the hook and its pretty big. I just wonder how she got it down. :rolleyes: The things dogs do, we'll never know will we! lol

She has to stay inside and no exercise for 14 days!! I dont know how we'll manage to keep her still! Then the stuches will come out.

I am soooooo relieved that it all over (almost). The vets were really kind so mum baked a cake for them and made a card with a pic of Abbie on it!! lol

Thankx for your support!

Ads & Abs

I am so glad Abbie's through this okay. Our Briar swallowed a treble hook, (three barbs and supposedly the better hook to have in this situation, because they don't get hung up as easy) while we were camping two years ago.

We raced down the mountain to a vet who xrayed and confirmed it was in her tummy. Being a mountain vet he had seen this a lot. Told us to bulk her up with hamburger and rice and start carrying rubber gloves. I was ready to pack up and go home but he gave us his home number and assured us she would pass it. SHE DID.

I am so sorry Abbie had to go through surgery and so very glad she is okay!

Glad it's all over too with Abbie.

As I stated before You post has made me very careful now when I take Bandit to beach. Even more so now. As soon as I hit the beach today I found a fish hook tangled up in netting along with a tennis ball. It made me so mad. When a couple came up to admire Bandit, I showed them what I just found and told them how angry I was to find this and would never allow my dog to be off leash on beach again. I went on to tell them about dog on border collie sight(Abbie) who swallowed fish hook and had to be operated on.

The guy told me when people are fishing off beach when they snag something in water, the hook can wash up on beach any time afterward. Sorry Bandit...no more running loose on beach!

Ditto on all the sentiments, and glad to hear she is OK. I take angel to a few beaches that have fishing spots.

I still let her off leash, but I do ususally do a cursory look to make sure there is nothing obvious. Then again... she is much better at finding the sort of stuff like that than I am so I still think it is a worthy consideration.

Thankyou every one.

Abbie is feeling much better now and wants her walkies!! I play hide and seek with her a lot now because she doesnt run (too much) and its good mental stimulation. I have to find a new game or trick i can teach her too keep her busy. I dont know how we are going to keep her stil for 2 weeks!!

Now whenever she picks something small up i take it from her immediately. I am cirtanly more causious now with her!

Thankyou for caring and i hope this has made people more aware of the dangers of fish hooks.

Ads & Abs