BC Boards

Training 12 week pup

Guest christine

Guest christine

We have a new pup that we got at 9weeks old. The pup is now 12 weeks. She is a good natured pup. She is friendly to people and we seem to be stopping her nipping the kids feet. A problem I'm having is that she is biting us. We are correcting her with the no biting and giving her a chew toy or holding her mouth shut. Doesn't seem to be working.Also, she will lunge to snap at me or one of the kids. This dog isn't going to be working with sheep or animals, just a family dog for an active family. I'm looking for any information or suggestions on how to stop this behavior.

Guest Carol Campion

Hi

This pup sounds like a handful but I must point out that without seeing it, I am not sure what the pups intent is in its behavior.

You say some conflicting things—a pup lunging and biting is not a pup that is friendly with people. So maybe you need to be a little more descriptive as to the situation.

A lot of pups play with people and kids as they do other pups with just that kind of behavior you are refering to. They do have to learn it is not accepted with people. If she is biting and lunging, giving her a chew toy or something to distract her may be viewed as a reward to her.

Keep in mind how an adult dog treats a pup that is annoying her. She bites it in the face and or holds it down with pretty gruff treatment. Pups usually back right off treatment like this.

Another approach is a "positive" approach where you give her a reward but only after she is NOT doing the bahavior—not as a distraction that as I said can be viewed as a reward. Some combination of the two approahes usually works best.