BC Boards

changing of the guard

Guest Heather

Guest Heather

Hard as change is for me (I'm the sort who never wants *anything* to end), I have to remind myself that I originally told Sam she'd only be our resident expert for a couple of months, and I think she's been on constant duty since April 1. Sam, you've been terrific--we're really going to miss you! Our new expert is Carol Campion, an Open handler from Connecticut. Carol has written several of the articles that appear on LittleHats and is a very thoughtful, very articulate dog trainer. Carol, please feel free to introduce yourself. And thanks again, Sam: you've done a phenomenal job!

Guest Carol Campion

Hey Heather!

Thanks for the warm welcome and the vote of confidence. Also, hats off to you for the incredible amount of work that went into the designing of this site and for the upkeep and care you have given it!!

Sam, you were great—a hard act to follow!!

To the readers, I have a few training articles on this site. If you want to get an idea of my style of training, read one or two. It may cause some questions to arise and we can take it from there.

I am off tomorrow morning to a big trial in Bloomfield Connecticut. I won't be available for responses until probably Sunday night. I will share with you how my dogs run, problems they had with sheep and in turn me handling them! That should give us a bunch to talk about.

See ya later.

Guest GDavis

Thank you VERY MUCH Sam, for taking the time to help. And welcome Carol!!

One of the things that jumped out at me from Carol's articles -- because it runs along the lines of how I try to approach things -- is her desire for a more "natural" dog, and trying to get a dog to do the right thing before it necessarily has to associate it with a command. I'm always up for hearing thoughts on this, and about loose control vs. strict control, natural vs. mechanical, etc. -- whatever words you want to use to describe it.

<small>[ July 18, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Davis ]</small>

Guest Carol Campion

Hi Glen

I like to train my dogs leaving or allowing as much "natural" in the dog as possible. How much depends on what the dog has to start with and how much control the dog requires in training it.

Developing a feel for sheep is one of these abilities I like to develop and preserve as much as possible. If you have a dog that has a feel for sheep, then once trained, you can depend on the dog's instincts to help you out in some instances where the situation might be difficult whereas a dog that has no feel for sheep requires you to make all the decisions.