BC Boards

Trial courses

Guest AliKayCurtis

Guest AliKayCurtis

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I would like to start to enter some trials this late fall/winter & would LOVE to see some sample courses for USBCHA trials so I have an idea of what to expect in nov/nov. Does anyone know where I can do this? So far I have found courses for all the venues EXCEPT USBCHA. I have a good idea of what to expect, but I'd really like to see some courses.

Thanks!

Ali

Guest Bill Fosher

Hi Ali,

The USBCHA doesn't actually have anything to do with the novice-novice course design. That is the pervue of regional clubs -- the Virginia Border Collie Association in your case -- and the trial hosts.

Here in New England (and as far south as Maryland) the sanctioning body for novice trials is the Norhteast Border Collie Asscociation. Our novice-novice course is similar to many others. It consists of a 75 to 100 yard outrun, lift, fetch, wear or assisted drive, and a pen.

A wear replaces the drive. You are allowed to leave the post and walk backwards, with the dog bringing the sheep to you. You may also leave the post and walk alongside or behind your dog as it drives the sheep. In fact, many handlers that are about to move up to the next class (pro-noivce) will remain at the post and drive that leg, just as practice before moving up.

Best of luck, and enjoy it!

Guest MissTwist24

Ali,

What Bill said is true. In Virginia, the novice-novice course consists of a wear instead of the drive. VBCA rules do not allow for an assisted drive as the NEBCA rules do. Occasionally a trial host will add a small "cross wear" to the regular wear, but in general your dog will gather the sheep to your feet at the post and then you will wear the sheep through a set of panels or cones and then back to the pen, where you will pen the sheep. The judges are usually quite nice and helpful and try very hard to make the experience a postive one for the N/N handlers.

J.

Guest Pipedream Farm

Ali,

FYI, here is the link to the VBCA website. I look forward to meeting you under the handlers' tent or better still "at the post".

Mark

<small>[ August 31, 2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Pipedream Farm ]</small>